375 H&H Heavy Bullets vs 416

Did you get the fitted hard foam custom made?

I bought on eBay military grade foam, traced with a marker around the components of the rifles, and cut carefully with a sharp kitchen knife.

1613608725611.png

The reason why I did not use the Pelican soft foam is that it is not hard enough to maintain in place heavy components (it is too compressible). Cut-to-shape military grade foam prevents anything from moving inside the case when it is rough handled.

The trick is to cut along the side of a 3 feet steel ruler to go straight, and to be careful to hold the knife vertical so that the cuts are not slanted. You can clean residual marker with medical alcohol after you cut :)

Last edited:
I bought on eBay military grade foam, traced with a marker around the components of the rifles, and cut carefully with a sharp kitchen knife.

View attachment 389614
The reason why I did not use the Pelican soft foam is that it is not hard enough to maintain in place heavy components (it is too compressible). Cut-to-shape military grade foam prevents anything from moving inside the case when it is rough handled.

The trick is to cut along the side of a 3 feet steel ruler to go straight, and to be careful to hold the knife vertical so that the cuts are not slanted. You can clean residual marker marks with medical alcohol after you cut :)

Thanks, I just bought 3 pc made for the 1720 case for $58.11. I needed some to put around the rifles and also for the trijicon I have for the two gun break down Americase I recently acquired. There is enough there for me to also to fit the shotgun stocks for a later trip.

View attachment 389614

The trick is to cut along the side of a 3 feet steel ruler to go straight, and to be careful to hold the knife vertical so that the cuts are not slanted. You can clean residual marker with medical alcohol after you cut :)

Great idea. I agree with your assessment of the Pelican foam.

Now to get this thread back on track. I received 100 rounds of 375 H&H Norma 300gr Oryx factory ammo today. Has anyone used this Oryx bullet or ammo on buffalo?

I used the 375 and the woodleigh 350 gr on a few buffalo and I think it gave my 404, 416 Rem, and 450-400 a run for the money..but the bigger bores are much appreciated when a charge developes and the animal is pumped up with adrenaline..Ive had 2.5 charges but that 350 stopped one so quick I call it a half charge..

Careful about saying a certain caliber is fine for buff because you killed a buff with it, that kind of thinking can eat your lunch, as charges are rare indeed, but when get one your thinking will change, but its a rush for sure!

These are the type of discussions where every detail and clarification counts :)

Allow me to be very specific:

There is no arguing that a .416 400 gr slug delivers a harder blow than a .375 H&H 350 gr, however you care to quantify it: energy, Taylor KO factor, frontal area, mass, etc. It would be foolish to argue otherwise. This is obviously relative to the .416 powder capacity - not all .416 being equal - just as it is relative to various .375 powder capacity...

There is also good reasons to think that a .375 350 gr slug delivers a harder blow than a .375 300 gr, but this is less clear-cut: the 300 gr slug flies faster, and velocity being squared in the energy formula, a 300 gr slug technically delivers more energy than a 350 gr. However, a 350 gr has a higher Taylor KO factor than a 300 gr. As to penetration, the same mass vs. velocity applies. The 300 gr carries more initial speed, but the 350 gr carries more weight momentum. It seems experimentally established that in a .375, a 350 gr will penetrate deeper than a 300 gr of same construction. For example, Kevin "Doctari" Robertson, the well known and considerably experienced Zimbabwe PH and veterinarian believes that the .375 350 gr steps deeply into .416 territory...

There is also no arguing that a .458/470 500 gr slug delivers a harder blow than a .416 450 gr, however you care to quantify it: energy, Taylor KO factor, frontal area, mass, etc. It would be foolish to argue otherwise.

And when the game needs to be not only killed, but possibly stopped, this adds one layer of requirement on the rifle/load.

Therefore, for buffalo, elephant & hippo (rhino) a .45+ is superior to either .375 or .416, because it penetrates and kills just as well (brain shots) or better (lung/heart shots), AND it also provides substantially superior stopping power. A .45+ 500 gr is a stopper; a .416 400 gr nudges the answer (and gets closer with 450 gr); a .375 300 or 350 gr does not.

As far as I am concerned:

1) where I can bring two rifles on a dedicated elephant hunt, my primary rifle is a .470 double, currently with iron sights, soon with Leica Tempus red dot, backed by my 1-6x24 scoped .375 H&H 350 gr R8 carried by a tracker, in case there is no other option than threading a difficult shot through a tiny opening in thick jesse at 50 yards, or if a dream 80 pounder cannot be approached at 75 yards or less (one can always hope!).

2) where I could only bring one rifle on a dedicated elephant hunt, I would bring a 1-6x24 scoped .458 Lott. I will likely sell my Mauser 66 .458 Lott and replace it with a R8 barrel .458 Lott...

3) where I could only bring one rifle on a mixed PG/DG hunt, I would bring my .375 H&H R8 with its two scopes:
--- one Leica 2.5-10x42 BDC sighted with 300 gr TSX for any PG and buffalo in herds, and 300 gr Partition for cats;
--- one Leica 1-6x24 sighted with 350 gr Woodleigh FMJ solid for elephant and hippo, with a handful of 350 gr Woodleigh RN SN (round-nose soft-nose) for hippo body shots, the RN SN and FMJ shooting to the same point of impact. This would also be a great first shot / follow up shots combination for dagga boy outside of a herd...

This being said, many will argue that a single .375 with a single 300 gr load will do it all, which it generally will, although a "universal" expanding 300 gr will preclude brain shots on elephant and may prove less than desirable for brain shots at incoming buffalo or lion, should they be needed. Mercifully, I am not speaking from personal experience...

Last edited:
For the most part , Woodleigh’s 350 grain bullet for the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum should prove perfectly adequate against dangerous game . Were I going against elephants or Gaur , then I should think that the 450 grain Norma full metal jacket factory load for the .416 Rigby would be considerably superior to any .375 Holland & Holland Magnum loading . Especially for body shots .

Now to get this thread back on track. I received 100 rounds of 375 H&H Norma 300gr Oryx factory ammo today. Has anyone used this Oryx bullet or ammo on buffalo?
Oryx is too soft for buffalo, keep it for PG

These are the type of discussions where every detail and clarification counts :)

Allow me to be very specific:

There is no arguing that a .416 400 gr slug delivers a harder blow than a .375 H&H 350 gr, however you care to quantify it: energy, Taylor KO factor, frontal area, mass, etc. It would be foolish to argue otherwise. This is obviously relative to the .416 powder capacity - not all .416 being equal - just as it is relative to various .375 powder capacity...

There is also good reasons to think that a .375 350 gr slug delivers a harder blow than a .375 300 gr, but this is less clear-cut: the 300 gr slug flies faster, and velocity being squared in the energy formula, a 300 gr slug technically delivers more energy than a 350 gr. However, a 350 gr has a higher Taylor KO factor than a 300 gr. As to penetration, the same mass vs. velocity applies. The 300 gr carries more initial speed, but the 350 gr carries more weight momentum. It seems experimentally established that in a .375, a 350 gr will penetrate deeper than a 300 gr of same construction. For example, Kevin "Doctari" Robertson, the well known and considerably experienced Zimbabwe PH and veterinarian believes that the .375 350 gr steps deeply into .416 territory...

There is also no arguing that a .458/470 500 gr slug delivers a harder blow than a .416 450 gr, however you care to quantify it: energy, Taylor KO factor, frontal area, mass, etc. It would be foolish to argue otherwise.

And when the game needs to be not only killed, but possibly stopped, this adds one layer of requirement on the rifle/load.

Therefore, for buffalo, elephant & hippo (rhino) a .45+ is superior to either .375 or .416, because it penetrates and kills just as well (brain shots) or better (lung/heart shots), AND it also provides substantially superior stopping power. A .45+ 500 gr is a stopper; a .416 400 gr nudges the answer (and gets closer with 450 gr); a .375 300 or 350 gr does not.

As far as I am concerned:

1) where I can bring two rifles on a dedicated elephant hunt, my primary rifle is a .470 double, currently with iron sights, soon with Leica Tempus red dot, backed by my 1-6x24 scoped .375 H&H 350 gr R8 carried by a tracker, in case there is no other option than threading a difficult shot through a tiny opening in thick jesse at 50 yards, or if a dream 80 pounder cannot be approached at 75 yards or less (one can always hope!).

2) where I could only bring one rifle on a dedicated elephant hunt, I would bring a 1-6x24 scoped .458 Lott. I will likely sell my Mauser 66 .458 Lott and replace it with a R8 barrel .458 Lott...

3) where I could only bring one rifle on a mixed PG/DG hunt, I would bring my .375 H&H R8 with its two scopes:
--- one Leica 2.5-10x42 BDC sighted with 300 gr TSX for any PG and buffalo in herds, and 300 gr Partition for cats;
--- one Leica 1-6x24 sighted with 350 gr Woodleigh FMJ solid for elephant and hippo, with a handful of 350 gr Woodleigh RN SN (round-nose soft-nose) for hippo body shots, the RN SN and FMJ shooting to the same point of impact. This would also be a great first shot / follow up shots combination for dagga boy outside of a herd...

This being said, many will argue that a single .375 with a single 300 gr load will do it all, which it generally will, although a "universal" expanding 300 gr will preclude brain shots on elephant and may prove less than desirable for brain shots at incoming buffalo or lion, should they be needed. Mercifully, I am not speaking from personal experience...
My 375 R8 will shoot 300gr CEB brass solids and 300gr TSX very close together on target. I'm told that the 300gr CEB solids will penetrate even better than a 350gr Woodleigh FMJ. So this set up would be very versatile indeed. You have the flatter trajectory of the 300gr TSX and plenty of penetration in the 300gr CEB.

My 375 R8 will shoot 300gr CEB brass solids and 300gr TSX very close together on target. I'm told that the 300gr CEB solids will penetrate even better than a 350gr Woodleigh FMJ. So this set up would be very versatile indeed. You have the flatter trajectory of the 300gr TSX and plenty of penetration in the 300gr CEB.
Another option for a soft/solid combo is the 300 grain Swift A-Frame and the 300 grain Woodleigh Hydro. They shoot to the same POI in my 375H&H. The Barnes TSX is also very close, but a little higher than the SAF and Woodie.

Toby, have you ever taken a look at the Woodleigh Hydrostatically Stabilized Bullets? If so, what did you think about them?

Toby, have you ever taken a look at the Woodleigh Hydrostatically Stabilized Bullets? If so, what did you think about them?
Art. I've looked at them and they always seem to get glowing reviews. But the CEB solids seems to do just as well for less money, and very easy to acquire in the states.

Sooooo...plans have changed once again. Making the 416 vs 375 debate a mute point for ya.

Sooooo...plans have changed once again. Making the 416 vs 375 debate a mute point for ya.
Yes sir. 416 with 400gr CEB solids and either TSX or Swift it is. I figure since there's not much chance of hunting anything other than DG this trip, might as well go with something a little more substantial. My PH definitely approves, since we'll be hunting in very thick cover.

Yes sir. 416 with 400gr CEB solids and either TSX or Swift it is. I figure since there's not much chance of hunting anything other than DG this trip, might as well go with something a little more substantial. My PH definitely approves, since we'll be hunting in very thick cover.
It's good to have options, and the 416 gives you a little breathing room. Always best to listen to the PH as well.

If you are only hunting DG then why not take your 458 lott.
Ktish
There may be some heyena hunting and possibly some PG hunting, so just trying to cover all the bases. Plus I sold the Lott and only have a 458 Winchester now. I know the 458 would possibly do a better job on the elephant, but I've never heard anyone say that a 416 is lacking on them.

Leaving tomorrow on my trip to Zimbabwe. The R8 375 and Winchester 416 will be in the plane with me if all goes as planned. I just couldn't make myself only bring one rifle. Trust me....I tried.

Bullets will be 300 and 400 grain TSX and CEB solids. I'm bringing 10 solids for each rifle and 20 TSX for each.

"Problem" solved.

Great news, please keep us undated on the hunts & performance ?

I had the idea heavy bullets would help the .375 & 416 perform better on the heavier stuff.

but last week I had to shoot a problem Hippo on land & my .458 Win had recently been stolen so I was borrowing a CZ .375 H&H loaded with 380gr Rhinos, the hippo died but made it over a Km to the water with a heart shot first & two lungs shots on the move, neither i or the Bull were greatly impressed by the added weight, I would much prefer my .458 or the .416 that night for sure.

so I think leave the .300gr in the H&H & just go up in caliber if you can if chasing bigger game, I prefer.40 & up even on Buffalo, always use a good bullet on the big guys !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaBlohm

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!