JMV375

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
NRA
I have hunted in Africa before (plains game) and used Swift A Frame bullets in. 30-06, .300 WM and 9.3 x 74 with spectatcular results.

This time Cape buffalo is the main quarry. Any recommendations for .375 H&H factory ammo is appreciated.

Regards
JMV375

PPU for practice and the Federal Sledgehammers or Trophy Bonded Bear Claws for hunting. Also the Swift A frame is a timeless classic with a very good reputation. Barnes also has the TSX bullet that the AH world loves. You can stay at 300 grains and be just fine or you can go for the 350 grainers and really squeeze the most out of the gun as far power level goes.

I'd like to try the North Fork Cupped Point Solid. It's a limited expansion solid and I like the idea that I'm not getting the full penetration of a solid not the limited penetration of the expanding bullet if shot angles go suboptimal.

Norma African PH (350g) or Oryx (300g). I would use the 350, as I am a fan of bigger hammer theory.
I would not recommend Oryx bullets on a buffalo they might work but are not as solid in construction as Swift, Northfork or Woodleigh. I think Federal has both Factory loaded Trophy bonded bear claw.

North Fork Bonded Cores if they were available, else A-Frames.

There are very few options right now for factory ammo.

You are going to need to buy enough to practice a bit before. If I were going with a 375 and had to use factory ammo, I would likely just pay money for this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 8.27.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 8.27.08 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 246
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 8.27.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 8.27.09 AM.png
    715.8 KB · Views: 249
I have hunted in Africa before (plains game) and used Swift A Frame bullets in. 30-06, .300 WM and 9.3 x 74 with spectatcular results.

This time Cape buffalo is the main quarry. Any recommendations for .375 H&H factory ammo is appreciated.

Regards
JMV375
What rifle are you using/barrel length?

My first choice is the Federal 300 gr A-Frame loading - Second choice is any other 300 gr A-Frame loading. Next choice would be a 300 gr TSX load. I don't have another choice.

You never said what rifle/barrel length was. Im sure im gonna catch some flack here !
But if it is a dr, i would use a sp directly followed by a solid.
But a dr will be regulated with some specifics.
A bolt rifle? I would ask becouse, barrel length/bullet weight equals fps.
I would use the A-frames. 20 or 22 in bareel I would use the 300gr. 24 or 26 in, I would use the 350gr,mayne 380gr if a 26in. If over 26in then definitely a 380gr.
It takes barrel length to build velocity.
You dont want to much, but never too little.
I know I will catch hell with the wounderby crowd over that!

I to like the Swift A Frame & close is the TBBC, don't normally like TSX but the 300gr in the .375 H&H has worked well for a lot of our hunters.

I do think a good bullet of 350gr (isn't there a 380gr to maybe Rhino but most likly not factory loaded ?) would be great but I don't have any experience with them to advise .

Reactions: WAB
I to like the Swift A Frame & close is the TBBC, don't normally like TSX but the 300gr in the .375 H&H has worked well for a lot of our hunters.

I do think a good bullet of 350gr (isn't there a 380gr to maybe Rhino but most likly not factory loaded ?) would be great but I don't have any experience with them to advise .
When my 375h&h was my go to rifle, I bought factory 380gr.
I havent seen them in years, but I dont look for them and also live in a smaller town. I just get the cheapest I can find now. I dont use the rifle for hunting. I just let my friends shoot it at the range. They all want to shoot my 500ne.
So I let them shoot the 375h&h.
Then for fun, I let them shoot my 470ne ruger, that only weighs like 8lbs. Its a shoulder killer. Most after that, dont wamt to shoot my 500. Amd I can save my best rifle, withour being an ass.

Norma African PH 350grn. As many have commented, the harder the hit the better and if the 375H&H is your chosen calibre then go as heavy as you can.

FN

When is your hunt? You may be really limited on ammo choices if it’s this year. I bought trophy bonded bear claws and woodleighs from gun broker so I have some quality ammo, but given choice normal year Swift A Frames will perform flawlessly every time. Every photo of a Swift A Frame will look like below. The bullet on left was pulled from a buffalo.
D9B5D4D4-53B6-43F7-A838-1F9F31229027.jpeg

If you don't reload, then as most have mentioned your options are more limited. Not sure you can get the Federal TBBC, but it is a well designed bullet which Northfork, Rhino, and others closely duplicated. Swift A-frame in either their factory loading (fastest 300 grain loading I have chronographed and accurate in my rifles), Federal’s factory, or Norma’s (if they still load it). And of course Barnes TSX which most likely will give you the deepest penetration (loaded by Barnes and Federal of which Barnes is the fastest Ive found and most accurate in my rifles).
I personally would pick which ever shot the best in my rifle and go with that.
To clarify, I have only taken 1 buffalo to date and it was using the Barnes. But I have shot all the others and researched a great deal. I believe any of these will get the job done if you do your part.
Take a look at the bullet performance thread on AH. It might help you.
Enjoy your search and your exciting hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross