Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
How accurate is your 375 H&H? I don't mean for this to sound like a silly question. Maybe a better title might be what 300 Gr. bullet shoots best in your rifle and how does it perform on larger PG animals like Eland. I have dies and several kinds of Brass and powder. However I have not purchased any bullets yet. I was just wondering what size groups were being obtained with various bullets and powder charges. I'm fully aware that not all guns shoot well with a particular load. That being said I also know that some bullet and load combinations tend to shoot very well in "most" guns. That point gentlemen is where I want to start my load development.

Hi, I have a CZ 550 Mag in 375 H&H and with most bullets(Nosler, Speer, Barnes ) it shoot around 3/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. The actual bullet weight doesn't seem to matter much in accuracy from 200 grain through 300 grain. Using the Speer 235 grain bullets I can get real close to 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I have only shot a Zebra with it using the 235 Speer bullet and was pleased with the results. It was a complete pass through at about 150 yards, it ran 50 yards and dropped. I reload all my own ammo and I don't use and factory ammo. I bought this rifle used at a very low price because the bore was badly copper fouled. It took 2 days to clean up. Just pick a load from the reloading manuals available. My rifle it not fussy at all, perhaps I am just lucky.

Ive never shot my 375 H&H past 100 yards on the range.. and the longest shot I have taken with it on game was about 80 yards.. so I dont know if my rifle and my experience is "typical".. but I have been very happy with the accuracy I have gotten with both 260gr and 300gr projectiles using factory ammo..

I've only just started reloading for it.. so I dont have any data there yet..

Nosler "Trophy Grade" 260gr factory ammo (partition) produces roughly 1" groups for me at 100...
Barnes Vor-TX 300gr factory ammo gives me about the same 1" group (TSX)
Federal Cape Shok 300gr (TBBC) produces about 1.25" @ 100 in my rifle

and I came across an old box of PMC factory ammo that loaded the old Barnes X bullet (predates the TSX) that shot about 1.25" @ 100 as well..

Ive never had a problem with Barnes TSX or TTSX in any of my rifles.. based on that, and the fact that factory loaded TSX and X ammo did well in my rifle, and that everything I have shot so far that is 300gr as done well, I bought 100 barnes TSX (300gr) bullets at DSC this year ($35 for 50 was a deal too good to pass up!).. and plan on finding a nice accurate load with those.. ideally I'd like to get a 1" or better group with a MV of 2400-2500fps..

My rifle is a Win 70 Classic Stainless with a 24" bbl FWIW..

Hi, I have a CZ 550 Mag in 375 H&H and with most bullets(Nosler, Speer, Barnes ) it shoot around 3/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. The actual bullet weight doesn't seem to matter much in accuracy from 200 grain through 300 grain. Using the Speer 235 grain bullets I can get real close to 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I have only shot a Zebra with it using the 235 Speer bullet and was pleased with the results. It was a complete pass through at about 150 yards, it ran 50 yards and dropped. I reload all my own ammo and I don't use and factory ammo. I bought this rifle used at a very low price because the bore was badly copper fouled. It took 2 days to clean up. Just pick a load from the reloading manuals available. My rifle it not fussy at all, perhaps I am just lucky.

My 375 H&H is also the CZ. I used factory 300 gr Swift A-Frames on my last trip. Took a springbok at 110 yards and red hartebeest at 85 yds.

My normal go to is the Hornady 270 gr Interlock spire point backed by 73 gr. of Reloder 15. It gives the same accuracy as listed above. Just seat to the cannelure, go forth and kill stuff. I've used that load extensively on impala through zebra/waterbuck. Absolutely no problems with performance.

Win mod70 in lefty! I shot factory of all kinds. Had trouble with primers in prvi partisan and don’t bother with them now. I shot it all summer getting ready for a trip to Zim. Never been a target guy, not sure what moa stands for. Shot around 14 groundhogs, iron sights. Best was at 80 something yards. I did miss a few, more than I thought I should have. Most notable was after a miss, I went to look for a hit, as I stepped up to the ground hog hole, I could just see his nose out sticking out from rim of hole. I aimed back a few inches and took him through 6 inches of dirt!! Unfortunately I never got real confident, always messing with the rear sight, never bonded with it. Used my double in Zim

Winchester M70 with synthetic stock. Mine shoots 270 grain and 300 grain pretty well, but for hunting I've used exclusively Swift A-Frames and Hornady solids, both in 300 grain. These do a bit over an inch for a 3-shot group at 100 yards. The A-Frames are great. Good penetration and weight retention.

My R8 .375 shoots the Federal Woodleigh 300 gr Hydro into sub-moa groups. Federal's 300 gr Swift A-Frame are MOA and hit only an inch above the Hydro's. I have quit looking for anything else for it. My custom mauser and Blaser S-2 both love Hendershot's Extreme loading of the .300 gr TSX. Haven't used anything else in either of those rifles.

In my M70 Safari Express I get MOA or better with:

H4895: 250gr North Fork Bonded Cores and TTSX

IMR4350 : 300gr North Fork Bonded Cores and Swift A-Frames

Agree with a couple of previous posters. My M70 shoots Federal factory loads in the same place (not the same hole) whether 270 or 300 grain. As long as I can keep them in a 2 inch bull at 100 yds from the bench, I'm not concerned about MOA. Just me!

My old Interarms in 375HH shot 300Gr Sierra Gamekings with 75gs of Win 760. It would shoot Grapefruit size groups at 200meters. I never hunted the rifle but the guy I sold it to (big mistake) took 2 Deer at distance and he said they dropped in their tracks. I'm a fan of Gamekings I did a plains game hunt a few years ago I used my CZ550 in 308 and all shots were one and done. I'm now working on load development on the replacement rifle a Winchester Safari grade in 375HH also, and if it keeps snowing in Minnesota I might not do a range trip tll September

I have a Sako LV in .375 H&H. In 2013 I used it in Zimbabwe with 300gr Swift AFs by H4895 powder. Average group size is 1.22" at a velocity of 2534 fps. I have since come up with a load using a 300gr Barnes TSX backed by WW748 powder. It generates .970" groups and a velocity of 2582 fps.

I have not put it to a paper target, but my SAKO 375 H&H, using Norma 300g Oryx bullets, dropped game in excess of 200 yards, with one shot, as measured by my Leica HD-B binoculars. Good enough.

Establishing what the rifle is capable of would be the best starting point, with either handloads or factory ammo.
From the bench, preferably with a leadsled, see what it will do.
Then start to experiment in small batches like 5 or 10 rounds of a specific powder/bullet combo...see what works best for you.

Work slow and methodically, you will get there faster.

Good luck with it. Post some results as well.

My Kimber Caprivi seems to really like Nosler Partitions in both the 260 and 300 grain bullets. I have shot Nosler trophy grade factory ammo and Hornady ammo and my Kimber as well as my Dad's Kimber seem to prefer the Nosler ammo. I am really considering reloading with some Swift A Frame and also maybe trying some Barnes bullets as well. I am not sure why, the Nosler factory ammo killed 6 animals in Africa last summer from ranges of 50 yards to 120 yards all one shot kills. I was getting 3/4 inch groups at 100 yrds from the bench. I am not a paperpuncher if i can get under an 1.5 inch group I am sure I can kill animals with that. I know this was a bit of a ramble but just how my gun has performed for me.

In my MRC I’ve tried 9 factory loads. Federals run from 3/4” to 1 1/2”. Barnes 300 TSX 3 shot groups run from 5/8-1”. Swift A-frame 300 gr 3/4-1”. PPU solids 1 1/2” while their soft points are under 2”. Most of these are at 100 meters.

My handloads in 300 gr-Barnes and Northfork are under 1”@100 meters. Having problems with Woodleighs both 300 and 350 gr. Just got some 350 gr Northforks to work with.

My 235 and 250 gr Barnes have been around 1/2” with the 235 over 3,000 FPS. One of these may be my crocodile/sable load in May.

My 235 Speer Hot-Cor SP will hold under 1”@100 meters at over 3,000fps.

Finally got 230gr Peregrines under 1” as well. Need to see how consistent they will be.

Obviously I’m retired and like to experiment. If you want more specific detail, please pm me.
Best of luck in finding what you’re looking for!

How accurate is your 375 H&H? I don't mean for this to sound like a silly question. Maybe a better title might be what 300 Gr. bullet shoots best in your rifle and how does it perform on larger PG animals like Eland. I have dies and several kinds of Brass and powder. However I have not purchased any bullets yet. I was just wondering what size groups were being obtained with various bullets and powder charges. I'm fully aware that not all guns shoot well with a particular load. That being said I also know that some bullet and load combinations tend to shoot very well in "most" guns. That point gentlemen is where I want to start my load development.
With a Winchester M70 Safari I get about 1" on a good day. That load was not a hunting load though, just a developmental load. 300 grain Sierra Game King, 75 grains RL17 powder and a CCI Large Rifle Magnum primer. Recoil isn't bad and I am getting about 2550 fps out of it. My hunting load is the same charge of powder but a 300 grain woodleigh PP. I haven't really shot it too much for a group because if it prints better than a 2" group at 100 yards, it will do everything I need it to do. BTW, RL 17 is one of the best kept secrets of .375 H&H. I had to email Alliant to get data for it which they were all too happy to give. I can get over 2,650 with a 300 grain bullet and 2850 with a 270 grain with safe pressure according to their data, but it is unnecessary and so I just stick to the factory original ballistics.

1/2 MOA using 270 grain Barnes TSX in my Kimber Caprivi. 70 grains of IMR 4064

This is a 100m grouping that I shot whilst developing a load for my Mod70 in 375H&H.
Brass: Hornady (once fired)
Primers: CCI LR Magnum
Powder: Somchem S335
Bullet: 300gr Peregrine VRG3
Silencer: Silent Striker

20171223_175408.jpg

Boela, do you remember the specifics on that load, i.e. Grs. of powder & velocity? That my friend is an impressive group. Others have posted good groups as well, but none of them were this good. BTW how old is your Winchester? I'm currently looking at one of their newer Mod 70(s) made in 2014.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg