300 yard eland shoulder shot with a .308 - would you take it?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Technologist, Apr 11, 2013.

1. woods1126

woods1126 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, APHA
    Hunted:
    Eastern Cape
    Thanks for the report Technologist! That is a nice looking Eland, and I bet you are already thinking of ways to get back to SA!! ;) Kevin

2. bassasdaindia

bassasdaindia AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    personally I would use anything smaller than a 338 WM on Eland .

3. Longwalker

Longwalker AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
    Hunted:
    Canada USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
    I have only ever shot one eland but I have shot a bunch of Canadian moose and elk with the .308 out to about 250 meters. all of them were killed efficiently. I think the .308 is a very adequate moose cartridge. However, I was not happy with my eland experience. I was using the PH's 30-06, with good Barnes 165 gr. TSX bullets in an accurate Sako rifle similar to one I had at home. Eland was a measured 265 meters, quartering away, moving very slowly broadside. I slightly pulled the shot rearward, and put the bullet through the near edge of the diaphragm and angling forward into the opposite lung. I shot at the running eland at about 320 meters or so and just hit the dewlap under the neck. Then I hit again at about 400, breaking a front leg at the elbow because I had failed to allow for enough bullet drop. Then we began the follow up, and I shot that poor bugger three more times, a couple minutes between shots, each shot right through both lungs before he finally dropped.
    My advice for your .308 is to use it, with good tough bullets, but stalk a little closer than 300 yards/meters. I think 200 is a sensible max. Make sure you make a double lung shot ( like my brother did with the same rifle/cartridge) and you will have no problem. But get an eland's adrenalin up, and they are incredibly tenacious!
    I plan to go eland hunting again, but next time I will bring my .375. Not because it's necessary, but for my own peace of mind.
    Good luck on your hunt!

woods1126, Foxi and Velo Dog like this.

4. Foxi

Foxi AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa-,Gwayi- + Save River.Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
    yes ,it is.
    A wounded animal is no honorable work.
    Wounded and not found is full price.
    Foxi

5. archer36

archer36 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Well the ballistics chart tells me that a 165 gr. Triple Shock has about 1500 ft lbs of energy at 300 yds so it is more than enough. Why the obsession with shoulder shots? I never saw an animal survive a double lung shot for very long.

enysse likes this.

6. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    I've used a .300 win mag and had excellent results, but I wasn't at 300 yards. I think the .308 should be enough, in theory, but you don't have much room for error in shot placement at that distance. And when an eland starts to run, it can run for miles. Personally I'd rather use a .300 than a .308. No one would (or should) laugh at you for using a .375 either.

enysse likes this.

7. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
    With a proper caliber, there is no "hopefully I don't hit big bone". The answer is in your trepidation over suitability of the cartridge.

Big5 and Ado like this.

8. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
    Exactly

Ado likes this.

9. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Longwalker, any animal hit in only one lung is going to run a LONG ways. You still have one functioning lung. I still believe the 308 Win is enough but you have to shot well not just good.

10. Ado

Ado AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA, RW, SCI
    Hunted:
    Australia, South Africa, NZ
    308 @ 300 yards - no shot at an eland

I agree with the comments in this thread that your PH would probably not let you take his shot.

Now...

308 @ 150 yards - yes
    300wm @ 200 yards - yes
    375 @ 300 yards - yes

But frankly where is the hunting in a 300 yard shot? Stalk closer and if you don't get a shot then stalk again, and again, and again... That is hunting.

Ado

11. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    Well said Diamondhitch, well said indeed.