Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, RMEF, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
US, Germany, Africa
I'm 3 weeks away from my hunt, any advice on the little ankle biter things Policies and procedures, not animals or bugs) I might encounter traveling to and from SA?

Last edited:
Very few of those ankle biters on the planes and airports. But there isn't much you can do about them anyway. They usually just do a lot of yapping.

If you are talking about the insect type just spray your clothes down with some Permithin, you can get it on Amazon or the camping aisle in Walmart

Very few of those ankle biters on the planes and airports. But there isn't much you can do about them anyway. They usually just do a lot of yapping.

If you are talking about the insect type just spray your clothes down with some Permithin, you can get it on Amazon or the camping aisle in Walmart
I edited my post, lol..... more of policies and procedures, not bugs or animals

I'm 3 weeks away from my hunt, any advice on the little ankle biter things Policies and procedures, not animals or bugs) I might encounter traveling to and from SA?

Taking guns? Did you get a pre-approval via someone down there?

Not needed, but nice to have and will save you time at the airport.

Other than that, relax and remember you might end up on Africa time…

Taking guns? Did you get a pre-approval via someone down there?

Not needed, but nice to have and will save you time at the airport.

Other than that, relax and remember you might end up on Africa time…
Yes, taking my own guns, have permission, got the paperwork stamped here.

Did you get a preapproved SAP's 520 rifle permit?

isn't that the one the outfitter fills out?
Your outfitter typically only gives you an invitation letter. The permit is waiting when you arrive, you wouldn’t have it in hand now. It’s not required but a huge convenience. It costs around $150. You might still have time to do it if you choose to, but isn’t required.

From my experience (pre-Covid), traveling to South Africa as an American is very easy, nothing to be concerned about with procedures. Big thing to me is making sure you can use your phone so you will always have options, so make sure you have WhatsApp, power outlet adapter, a spare battery bank, USB cord. Also going to your bank and getting some Rand before your hunt can be helpful. Some credit cards still require travel notices, the ones that don’t you might have to approve charges on your phone.

On the way back, make sure your boots are clean, no dirt. Don’t bring back any wildlife products. When you get to the customs agent, tell them you have a rifle to pick up and they will direct you to proper person/area.

Just a note. SA is having power outages, we had 4 outages of 2 hours per day.
You might thing about a power pack.
Have a good hunt

We found it a big pain and troublesome connecting to the airport wifi, etc. Do not depend on digital/electronic imaging, etc. of documents. Have paper copies of Everything! We had them in hand and it greatly expedited things (april 22). Watch the beer drinking on flights...the bathrooms in the planes are...disgusting, and usually very busy. In the airports, 1000 "porters" will offer assistance. All expect a handout. Yep, a back up power pack is an excellent idea, keep a charging cord in your pocket...you will be able to charge on the plane.
Keep some good filling snacks in your personal flight bag. The meals on board are....horrible. Our trip back we had the same meal...five times (over 24 hrs of flight /plane time). Save the cheese, crackers, etc. if you dont eat them with the meals/snacks.

Best of luck. Have fun and be safe. Hopefully, you are not traveling through the Newark, New Jersey airport.

isn't that the one the outfitter fills out?

No that is the permit that you must obtain to be able to have a rifle in South Africa. Some go it along and show up at the South African Police station in the airport with the application filled out and the necessary paperwork. Smart people have a permit preapproved and set up a meet and greet with the company that did the leg work for them to get the permit. Do it by yourself and you could be looking at a hour or more with the police, get it approved before hand and you are in and out quite quickly with zero problems.

I used Riflepermits.com on my trip in June.

Yes, the 'load shedding' as they call it can be multiple times a day, usually once, but for 2-4 hours. Be prepared for that; as in take a flashlight, battery charger, etc. Take an outlet converter. BE SURE TO TAKE CLOTHES AND MEDICINES ON THE PLANE WITH YOU IN CASE YOUR LUGGAGE GETS LOST. Sure, taking a backpack is a pain, however, on 3 occasions I have had my luggage arrive days later, and it was not a problem other than ammo.

Take about 10 to 20 five dollar bills.

Your outfitter typically only gives you an invitation letter. The permit is waiting when you arrive, you wouldn’t have it in hand now. It’s not required but a huge convenience. It costs around $150. You might still have time to do it if you choose to, but isn’t required.

From my experience (pre-Covid), traveling to South Africa as an American is very easy, nothing to be concerned about with procedures. Big thing to me is making sure you can use your phone so you will always have options, so make sure you have WhatsApp, power outlet adapter, a spare battery bank, USB cord. Also going to your bank and getting some Rand before your hunt can be helpful. Some credit cards still require travel notices, the ones that don’t you might have to approve charges on your phone.

On the way back, make sure your boots are clean, no dirt. Don’t bring back any wildlife products. When you get to the customs agent, tell them you have a rifle to pick up and they will direct you to proper person/area.
TSA appreciates it when you have your boots out
No that is the permit that you must obtain to be able to have a rifle in South Africa. Some go it along and show up at the South African Police station in the airport with the application filled out and the necessary paperwork. Smart people have a permit preapproved and set up a meet and greet with the company that did the leg work for them to get the permit. Do it by yourself and you could be looking at a hour or more with the police, get it approved before hand and you are in and out quite quickly with zero problems.

The cost for Rifle Permis to process your SAP 520 temporary import license is money well spent. They get permit issued and meet you at SAPS office to clear rifle.

My outfitter said he's taking care of it........

You are going to print out the SAPS gun permit form from Riflepermits.com. Fill it out in Black Ink. You will sign it in front of the officer at SAPS. You will unlock gun case so officer can take down serial number.They will make copies of it and your customs permit 457??, Invitation letter and all their permit paperwork.That’s what takes time!! Make sure US customs permit is dated this year. You can pay the lady from rifle permits $80 bucks to hand it to the SAPS officer or you can hand it to her. Either way you wait in line until it’s your turn. If your flight arrives after 9:30 am no one will be in front of you. If it’s your first time maybe it’s worth the $80 bucks. The lady and Marius from riflepermits will have a sign and show you the way to SAPS as part of the $80 meet and greet. That’s what they did last year for me as I called Henry from Tanzania the day before I left because I thought maybe I might have an issue with my rifle on Airlink to Jo’berg. Sure enough it doesn’t show up. Marius goes to the Airlink office and they confirm it’s on airplane and 45 minutes later they bring it to SAPS. It was worth the$80 bucks that time! Exchange your money for rand at the walk up bank ATMs in airport just as you would at a BofA. No difference they charge your debit card $3 bucks and out comes rand for the amount you chose. I would take an extra charger battery. If your IPhone is working all is good. When I go next year I give the porter in orange $5 and do it myself because apps now on major carriers tracks your luggage so you know your gun is on plane! It’s not that complicated!! If your outfitter is picking you up he knows the drill - disregard all SAPS stuff above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanSiebenh

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary (417)860-5888
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross