275 Rigby project

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Tintin, Aug 14, 2018.

1. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    Ill dig the rifle out of the safe and take some pics this evening after work..

The guy that did the engraving for me used a very high end, industrial laser engraver (he told me he paid $25K for it).. He used a tall and narrow font.. so the words dont crowded or tight.. but.. it is a little "long" across the barrel and takes up a good bit of space..

He basically started about 1/4" higher than the line of the stock, and about 1/2" in front of the action... the engraving is roughly 2 1/2" in length (I'm guessing on these dimensions since I dont have it in front of me right now).. and the letters are just a hair taller than 1/8"...

If he had used metal stamps or tried to hand engrave it, I think it would have been a mess.. but the industrial laser engraver seems to have done the trick just fine..

I'll also post his contact information when I get back online tonight if anyone is interested.. the guy is a knife maker by trade (among other things) and bought the engraver so that he do very fancy engraving on his knives as well as on pistol slides, magazines, etc.. his machine can not only engrave metal, he can also engrave wood, plastic, kydex, etc.. and will "burn" images into leather as well (he is putting images on leather holsters, knife sheaths, etc. also.. if you want something like that, all you have to do is provide him with a high quality image.. he can feed it into his engraver, and then burn it onto your sheath or holster)..

He is just getting started with all of the engraving services.. so he is very affordable.. it cost me more to box up and ship my guns (he did 2 for me) and ship them back than what he charged to actually do the engraving..

2. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    @mdwest Dave can you Pm me the contact info for the lazer engraver

3. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    absolutely..

I have 2 engraving options now.. although I havent seen the results from the second guy just yet..

McClelland Gun Shop in Dallas has an engraver local to the DFW area that they claim does very good work that they use for all of their needs.. I gave them my 416 Taylor last week to have the barrel engraved for me.. I should have it back the first of next week.. once I see how things look I'll report back here..

Even though my other guy has proven himself to do good work I thought I'd give the local option a try.. if for no other reason, just avoiding the pain of boxing up a barreled action and shipping it across the country and back (as well as the expense)..