275 Rigby project

Thanks @Pheroze - I've heard both views on that - We'll see how it goes

One thing to bear in mind tintin, if you plan on travelling with your rifle I'd suggest getting some 275 brass as oppoaed to 7x57.

Given the issues I've ran into with Aussie customs before I think all you'd need is one tosser at customs to make things real hard trying to explain they're the same calibre.

I got some hornady 275 brass through brownells. Said they had some in stock on their website but didn't. Took about 2 months to come over from the states.

What are you planning on running through it? I've bought some 150gn ttsx for starters as they open up down to around 1500fps which is good for barnes.

Thx JP - you might have beaten me to that Hornday brass ;-)

I do plan on getting some - and when I went to order from Brownells Aust it was 'back order - no ETA' - but hopefully they can get some by the time the project is done.

I've alos got my LGS checking with Herron's who import/distribute Hornady as well - seeing if they can source some.

Other option is Bertram - good to support the locals ;-).

I have a few pills ready to try

pills_no_exif.jpg

hoping to work up a good load using the traditional 140gr & 173/175gr pills

Attachments

• pills_no_exif.jpg
    pills_no_exif.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to bear in mind tintin, if you plan on travelling with your rifle I'd suggest getting some 275 brass as oppoaed to 7x57.

Given the issues I've ran into with Aussie customs before I think all you'd need is one tosser at customs to make things real hard trying to explain they're the same calibre.

I got some hornady 275 brass through brownells. Said they had some in stock on their website but didn't. Took about 2 months to come over from the states.

What are you planning on running through it? I've bought some 150gn ttsx for starters as they open up down to around 1500fps which is good for barnes.
I had not thought of this at all . . . but you are no doubt correct. Short of a whole lot of money, you'd never get an official in Africa to accept that 7x57 is the same caliber. I will be stockpiling some .275 Rigby ammo just to make sure I have it handy when the Rigby goes hunting.

One of the great advantages of this forum. Thanks.

And watching the development of this rifle eagerly. I get back home in two weeks after a year away, and my new .275 Rigby is apparently ready to be picked up . . . can't wait.

Graf & Sons grafs.com and Midsouth Shooter Supply show the Hornady .275 Rigby brass as in stock, in case anyone is interested.

Thanks MS - if only Grafs & Midsouth would export to us here ;-(.

I've got a bit of a dilemma .. first world problems :) ...

Just got a pretty good deal on a Dakota 3 position safety.

Not very historical - but more practical - what to do?

and here's my stock blank ...

blankR.jpg

blankL.jpg

Attachments

• blankR.jpg
    blankR.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 157
  • blankL.jpg
    blankL.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see a wooden stock . . . and a beautiful one at that.

Far too many utilitarian synthetic stocks in the world.

Even Rigby has moved to the three position safety and if the convenience of the Dakota safety works for you then by all means use it, I would. Who wouldn't want to have something so traditional that it screams "class" from any viewpoint although I would be taking some bulk off the forestock especially if you are intending to make yours the 140gn light bullet high velocity model. I am inclined to think that the forestock, at 1 1/2" back from the tip or about where the curve stops should have no more depth to the wood there under the barrel than the diameter of the barrel itself, to maintain propper visual balance like the old english gunmakers USED TO DO. When you wrap your hand arround the forestock you should be able to have your thumb and finger touch the top of the barrel for the same reason that the best upland game guns had splinter forestocks on them as it allows for the barrel to be down and closer to your palm which is an aid in very quick and accurate pointing when shotgunning for flushing birds or for jump shooting game animals while it still allows for a slow aimed shot as well. Just my (not so) humble opinion.
Rigby highland stalker.png

Last edited:
Glad to see a wooden stock . . . and a beautiful one at that.

Far too many utilitarian synthetic stocks in the world.

Thanks @Hank2211 - both have their place - we're always being told to 'respect diversity' ;-)

But I'm with you

Thanks for the comments on the safety - I had another look at a Highland Stalker yesterday - and it really is, to my eye, a nice rifle, but inspired by, rather than a completely reproduced old school .275 - as others have discussed on AH. The HS safety didn't look too bad on it - not sure which one they use (Recknagel?).

VG - thanks for your comments re stock foreend height - I too have looked carefully at that. My quick visual, rule of thumb, reference for stock forend length is 'number of rings' - front ring on a 98 is ~43mm long - seems most of the old classics have about 4 x ring lengths ~175mm of stock ahead of the front of the ring (if that makes sense).

I am inclined toward somewhere in the region of 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 inches of forestock ahead of the end of the action.

The easiest way to avoid this, is to stamp both calibers on barrel....

HWL

Thanks HWL - always an option - IMHO it looks a bit clunky / messy the way Rigby have done this in the Highland Stalker - I reckon it wouldn't look too bad with the chamberings stamped on opposing sides of the barrel?

Doubt it will be an issue for me - I should have some .275 brass eventually.

Barrel has been sent off to be profiled, ended up going with:

A: 26.50
B: 13.50

C: 22.80
D: 28.90

E: 13.80

275_profile_ABCDE.jpg

Attachments

• 275_profile_ABCDE.jpg
    275_profile_ABCDE.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 131

HWL

I actually stamped all 3 on mine...

7x57 - 7mm Mauser - .275 Rigby

It really wasn’t necessary.. my 7x57 will likely never travel outside of the US.. but I figured it was already going under the laser engraver.. I might as well cover all bases...

It really wasn’t necessary.. my 7x57 will likely never travel outside of the US..

Never say never.... your rifle still can travel when you are already gone.

:sneaky:

HWL

It really wasn’t necessary.. my 7x57 will likely never travel outside of the US.. but I figured it was already going under the laser engraver.. I might as well cover all bases...

Do you have a pic of the barrel marking and how it is done without it looking overcrowded

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg