Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
First, I know this has been discussed to death, I'm sorry to do this to all in question.

Been reading up about the swift scirocco and speer gold dot 75gr projectiles and I like what I see, but I'm honestly not an expert on these things and I need advice.

I would like it to be used on everything smaller than blesbok at close (25m) to medium ranges (250m). Sort of like the little cousin to the 308.

Usually I would look at a 243, but even when loaded heavy that bullet is motering and I've seen what it can do to duiker and springbok at close range.

The crux of the matter is: Do those of you in the know think it would be able to deal with blesbok & springbok at 250m and pigs & duiker at close range with out obliterating the latter?

Well aware that it's a pretty steep ask, but there it is.

Cheers!

Heck yes. In a 22-250 they would be most excellent.

With the 75 gr bullet it will work. However, I would not call it "ideal" on very much. On the little guys, even a 75gr bullet can be explosive - particularly at the range at which a duiker, civet, or suni typically presents itself. Though some use them on feral hogs here in the States (I don't - my pig sticking starts with a .270 or 7mm), I wouldn't use it on one with a trophy fee attached. If your rifle is accurate, it would be fine for braining culls.

See, you've summed up my worries. The only hope I have is that the scirocco and gold dot (lrx too) are pretty well built and I'm wondering if that'll equate to a lack of explosive expansion.

No trophy fees thankfully- an RSA local, whatever that's worth. I'd run a 6x45, but I have no desire to lug around a FA that I can't but ammo for if it's needed...

( a) .22 or 5.56mm rimfire rifle for the hunting of- (i) furred game up to and including the size of rock hyrax; and (ii) feathered game; (b) .22 or 5.56mm centre fire rifle for the hunting of furred game up to and including the size of springbok; (c) .270 or 7mm rifle for the hunting of- (i) furred game larger than springbuck, up to and including eland, but excluding dangerous game or giraffe; and (ii) ostrich; and

Many farmers will not allow the use of a 5.56mm caliber for hunting. Up to Springbuck you are legal.

( a) .22 or 5.56mm rimfire rifle for the hunting of- (i) furred game up to and including the size of rock hyrax; and (ii) feathered game; (b) .22 or 5.56mm centre fire rifle for the hunting of furred game up to and including the size of springbok; (c) .270 or 7mm rifle for the hunting of- (i) furred game larger than springbuck, up to and including eland, but excluding dangerous game or giraffe; and (ii) ostrich; and

Many farmers will not allow the use of a 5.56mm caliber for hunting. Up to Springbuck you are legal.

Hi,

Thanks for the concern, well aware of the legislation, it's the reason I never bought a 6.5 swede... But thank you, really appreciate the information and concern. Not looking to use it for "hunting" but for culling. If I'm hunting properly, a 375 is the main choice. If I remember correctly, legislation also makes allowances/exceptions for high-fenced farms? But there is a reason that I specifically didn't state it as a hunting rifle ;)

Reactions: IvW
In a .22-250, up to a Tsessebe, one shot kills.

Or so I´ve heard :whistle:

In Scotland, it is legal to use a .22 Centre fire for roe deer and quiet commonly done so. These get upto about 25kg in weight. Also in England we can use .22CF on muntjac and Chinese Water Deer.

I personally use a .223 Rem for the smaller species

Ammo preference is a usually a relatively heavy soft point though quite a few use 55gr soft points.

Factory my rifle likes 62gr Federal Fusion
Have loaded up some 65gr Sierra Gameking SBT (Looks promising, need to tune the length a bit more)
Also have some 60gr Nosler Partitions I want to try

As another data point, Ireland used to have very tough laws on firearms ownership with .22-250 pretty much being the biggest thing you could have so deer stalkers over there shot Red deer and Sika with .22-250s... Worked but would not be my first choice.

If you were to have something like the 22 Nosler, 244 Valkyrie and a fast twist .22-250 or 220 Swift, the new Nosler 70 gr Accubond could be interesting.

NB With the .22 Centre Fires, make sure your twist will be fast enough for the bullet you want to shoot.

This is my light deer set up

CZ527 American in .223 Rem, 1:9 twist
3-12x50 Zeiss Duralyt Illuminated Scope
Lawrence precision Titanium moderator
Federal Fusion 62gr ammo

GBtguyz.jpg

And here's a Chinese Water Deer I took with it

CQwwSTK.jpg

Very much "bang - flop"

Scrummy

Attachments

• GBtguyz.jpg
    GBtguyz.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 70
  • CQwwSTK.jpg
    CQwwSTK.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 82
Also legal for roe deer in Finland.
I suppose the main thing is that you have a bullet that works at your velocities. You don't want a bullet that just zips through, nor one that shatters on contact.

I suppose the main thing is that you have a bullet that works at your velocities. You don't want a bullet that just zips through, nor one that shatters on contact.
As consumers, it seems like we are asking a lot of our bullets noadays.
Remember when you could just go out and kill stuff without worrying about hide damage?

.223 and .22-250 are very common in Australia and take various game and pests opportunistically. Shooters/Farmers taking pigs, goats foxes, wild dogs and the occasional deer with good shot placement.
I do believe in premium projectiles but I’m not familiar with the ones you mention.
1 they may need a faster twist to stabilise
2 Something like a Barnes maybe a happy medium slightly lighter with a tough construction .
3 good old soft points work although I do use a like Nosler BT’s

Well there you have it! @BenKK (Another Aussie) has downed those beasts with a .22 calibre of sorts and Bloody Good shot placement.
I hope his mate has a stopping rifle to back him up but Barnes and Nosler there you go.
On the little African critters you mentioned (soft skin) I’m sure most projectiles would work so long as they are not a dedicated varmint projectile that will break up on a tougher animal or tear up a small animal.

Funnily enough 22 centre fires are legal in Scotland for roe but not in England. Daft laws...

My 224V is by far my most finicky rifle with ammo and least accurate when it comes to most. It shoots 60gr about 1" at 100yds, 90s are closer to 4". All my other guns are 1/2MOA no problem. I got a buddy who has a 224V he finally got it sub moa at 100, just to find out it opens up to about 3moa at 200yds. Not my favorite caliber to put it mildly

If that’s the .224 Valkyrie you mean when when you say 224v then it doesn’t seem to have any advantage if it will disadvantage the accuracy.
I’ve heard of it, just googled it.
I reload but im not an expert. If you can’t get suitable accuracy with heavy projectiles then it’s useless. Well I suppose 3moa May get you a Deer if restricted on bore diameter but seems like .22-250, .220swift or .22-250ai might be better. Even if you can stabilise the 62gn Barnes in those you might be better off. I’m sure there are others that can suggest something as there are other projectiles out there.
Sounds like the .224v is trying to encroach on .243win territory with a case like that. If .243 is an option there may be more projectile options. There are other 6mm chambering options if you can go there too.

@BenKK
Looks like you parked one in the brain pan on the second one.
Where did you get the first one?
Was it a cull hunt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.