1st pair of courteney boots

A little side question: I see many people mentioning that the Courteney's are not a wet terrain boot. So not for marshes, crossing streams or anything like that. What do you put on in those circumstances? Some water resistant light sandals? (I am not very good on bare feet)
If I am hunting a place like the swamp in the Zambezi Delta or wading daily in the Caprivi, I use a jungle boot (Danner made one several years ago as a military trial boot that is superb if you can find a pair). The primary requirement is a non-leather upper and drain holes. Such a boot dries overnight and can be worn wet. Otherwise, I love Courteney.

Last edited:
If I were hunting swamps I would wear my Converse. Nothing to them but they lace up snug so they won't get sucked off your feet.

So I am getting ready to order my 1st pair of courteney boots after doing plenty of research. I am stuck between the selous and safari model and also the ripple or Tyre tread. I'll be using these for africa as well as south texas nilgai and colorado mule deer hunts. What are the pros and cons and which boots would you suggest? I typically wear a size 12 or 12.5 in my other boots and shoes if that makes a difference
Cant give an opinion on hunting in South Taxas.

But I would also look at the Warrior, it is a lighter build boot then the Safari and Selous.

Make no mistake Courteney Boots are heavy, not to talk about a wet size 12,5 . Personal I think the Selous/Safari is to much boot for the general hunting trip. I prefer the ripple tread. Mud tent to stick to the tyre tread adding extra weight.

On my last trip to the Caprivi I used a pair of Courteney Vellies. Perfect boot for hunting in sandy areas. and light enough to wear the whole day. On my next trip I will take a pair of Keen Sandels.

Courteney boots fit the look, but I'm not 100% convince that they are the best hunting boot out there.

my two cents

Got several pair of Courteney and wear a pair on a daily basis.
The Safaries need some walking-in as the reinforcement for the laces is quite sturdy.
The Selous are perfect if you have large feet and a regular bridge.
The IMPI are best of both worlds. I prefer cleat or tyre soles for climbing on koppies.
For more arch support good insoles are needed.
Courteney is a very rugged boot that will last many years. They are made for warm & dry climate, however with good socks they can be worn at -20C.

Got several pair of Courteney and wear a pair on a daily basis.
The Safaries need some walking-in as the reinforcement for the laces is quite sturdy.
The Selous are perfect if you have large feet and a regular bridge.
The IMPI are best of both worlds. I prefer cleat or tyre soles for climbing on koppies.
For more arch support good insoles are needed.
Courteney is a very rugged boot that will last many years. They are made for warm & dry climate, however with good socks they can be worn at -20C.
-20C !!! ? I beg to disagree. If your after a good dose of frostbite maybe. Good socks or not. Mine are strictly a warm weather boot.

I personally like the “D” width Courtneys better than the regular wide ones. The Safari is a little lighter and cooler than the Selous. The “Cleat” sole is a nice compromise between the “Tyre” and the “Ripple.”

I was hesitant to post but I guess this thread isn’t “too” old. I’ve been contemplating a pair of Warrior or Hunters so hopefully those in the know can chime in. When users say heavy, I’m curious what that compares to. For reference I’ve hunted SW CO and NW NM in 8” insulated Danners or short uninsulated Danners depending on weather. I assumed any Courteney would not weigh as much as a Danner Acadia type boot. My second question was sizing. Is the sizing like your other boots? (except in UK sizes of course)

I have the Safari, the Selous and the canvas and leather Rigby Safari (by Courteney) with tyre tread and the Kudu Vellies with ripple tread. I put the powerstep thin or 3/4 thin insoles in all of them to make them comfortable. Otherwise, they feel like I have 4x4 slats strapped to my feet. I pretty well live in Courteney's or Crocs.

If I know I will be soaked, I use jungle boots or Crocs.

Safe hunting

I bought my first and only pair of the selous model, a few month before my first trip to Africa I’m not sure where people get them being a heavy boot? To me they are the most comfortable pair of boots I have worn I even wear them at work climbing power poles as a lineman. I have had them soaking wet in waist high water and thy have held up well. They are expensive but so are any other quality pair of boots if I have to buy a new pair every year still worth it to me.

Compared to some hunting Boots they are heavy. Mine are Selous so a Buffalo hide.

They have a thick sole adding to the weight. With the right fit they will be comfortable. I think they recently introduced a bigger toe box. More square more room.

I went to Africa with just a backpack wearing my Selous from the moment I left home and the duration of the trip .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WayneBoone

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?