1st pair of courteney boots

CO_mtnman

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
So I am getting ready to order my 1st pair of courteney boots after doing plenty of research. I am stuck between the selous and safari model and also the ripple or Tyre tread. I'll be using these for africa as well as south texas nilgai and colorado mule deer hunts. What are the pros and cons and which boots would you suggest? I typically wear a size 12 or 12.5 in my other boots and shoes if that makes a difference

Cant really share pros, and cons and I have not tried both pair. However I own a pair of Courtney boots (elephant) , purchased new in 1998, new soles attached 2017 and I still wear them often. Been to Africa with them over 22 times. Get complements on them regularly. Super cool boot.

I use the Selous, their standard boot is just too wide for me. It is a great stalking and flatland boot. I love them for Africa, still hunting in Bama on dry days, and general farm work. I don’t know where you hunt mulies, but if it’s rough, vertical country, Courteney is not the right boot for the job. It is also not a wet weather boot.

I have both and they are both a bit wide. I don’t care for the ripple tread - those seem to hurt my feet. The tire tread are super comfortable and actually wear those weekly.

So, at last count ...... never mind. I really like them for Africa and dove hunting in Texas. I also wear them around the place often. I prefer the Selous for hunting. I don't notice a difference between tire tread and ripple, though my favorite hunting pair are the tire tread (probably a traditional thing). They are neither a steep or wet terrain boot.

Thank you everyone for all the help even though I am sure this topic has been beat like a drum throughout the years. I've decided to go with the selous with the Tyre tread based off everyone's input

In my limited experience.
I've owned 2 sets. Have one to my son.

They have covered it all above but while the tyre tread is quiet I will try the Cleat sole I'd I buy more.

I wore my Selous on my only Africa hunt. I wore them in travel and all day

My thing about the tyre tread I found it holding small stones. Them that was typical of areas around me.

I have a pair of each, love the boots. Both have tyre tread. As WAB pointed out they are great for relatively flat land, sandy soil and bush veldt. Not so much for rocky and hilly areas. The selous pair I have worn as a hunting shoe, casual shoe and general wear shoe. Three times to Africa from 2013 to 2019 hunting, numerous times to Cuba on vacation and everywhere in between. As noted in other posts, they are not a steep terrain or wet weather boot. Keep them treated with the proper leather treatment and as one salesman told me, the only problem with these shoes is that they never wear out.

I have 2 pairs of selous, ripple and tyre tread respectively.

I prefer the ripple, but it's probably just personal preference. Slippery floors are not your friend! Cow dung cleans off much easier on this tread, haha.

Both are excellent, the thin ripple tread is just extremely comfortable for me when walking long distances.

I prefer Safaris, in bovine (cow) rather than buffalo or other hides because they are softer. Tyre treads are the best, much quieter. If you really want the next level in comfort add some jelly cup heels

C113533D-1B61-4F25-B2D8-757F1E4F7F46.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both the Courtney selous and the patrol boots, both with the tyre tread sole. I do use them for mountain hunting, but only down to about 25 degrees, and definitely not in the snow.

I typically use my schnees pac boots in the snow or super cold weather, I have a pair of salomon sua sponte mk2 for when it's wet and for climbing I have a pair of crispi thor and a older pair of zamberland that I rotate through. Recently I have been using a pair of traditional moccasins for my archery and muzzleloader hunts in Colorado. After reading all the replies I am super excited about getting my pair and putting some miles on em

I have the courteney scouts with the tire tread and they are excellent! They are the most comfortabke and the tire tread lasts for a long time. Mine were made in 2018 and I wear them every day. The tread is still good on them and likely I will get a few more years out of the soles. They grip very well and are super comfortable, at least for me.

So I am getting ready to order my 1st pair of courteney boots after doing plenty of research. I am stuck between the selous and safari model and also the ripple or Tyre tread. I'll be using these for africa as well as south texas nilgai and colorado mule deer hunts. What are the pros and cons and which boots would you suggest? I typically wear a size 12 or 12.5 in my other boots and shoes if that makes a difference
Just my two cents and am sure heresy on our forum…I bought a pair of Selous and though they fit I do not like the boot. The pros are only one to me and that’s they are quiet. The cons are two: 1. They are heavy 2. They have no arch support. People here will say the heaviness will prevent a thorn going through your boot but at the end of the day I sold my pair and bought a boot comfortable to me that was quiet, light and good arch support and for me that was not Courtney

I use Courteney boots for work and hunting. A pair of Safari’s in buffalo with tyre tread and a pair of Patrols in bovine with tyre tread. Both supremely comfortable and cool in hot weather. I do use ankle gaiters with the Safaris and I use the Courteney insoles with my Patrols.

A little side question: I see many people mentioning that the Courteney's are not a wet terrain boot. So not for marshes, crossing streams or anything like that. What do you put on in those circumstances? Some water resistant light sandals? (I am not very good on bare feet)

A little side question: I see many people mentioning that the Courteney's are not a wet terrain boot. So not for marshes, crossing streams or anything like that. What do you put on in those circumstances? Some water resistant light sandals? (I am not very good on bare feet)

I just use a different boot in those conditions. Living much of my adult life in Wyoming and Alaska, I became very partial to Danners and Merrells. I will say that I have stripped down to cross streams barefoot many times as I don’t care to hunt in wet boots. Once you are over the top No boot is waterproof!

I'm sure you have already made up your mind but I'll throw this out there. Leave them home for South Texas hunting. Best boot for South Texas will be something knee high.
I'll also echo the "too heavy" and poor arch support crowd. I only wear mine if going out to dinner with nice jeans etc.

I'm sure you have already made up your mind but I'll throw this out there. Leave them home for South Texas hunting. Best boot for South Texas will be something knee high.
I'll also echo the "too heavy" and poor arch support crowd. I only wear mine if going out to dinner with nice jeans etc.

I bought a used pair of the Selous to try
out and potentially take to Namibia. They rubbed my feet the wrong way so I too just wear them when I need/want to look nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you