npm352

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Had a great hunt in the Omay this July. Here are some of the details.

Outfitter: Martin Pieters Safaris
Booking Agent: Theo Blignaut from SkinAfrika
PH: Dalton Tink
Concession: Omay North
Duration: 12 days
Game Taken: Tuskless, Buff bull, hyena, bushbuck
Firearm: CZ 550 .375 with Leupold vxII 1x4 with Warne QD medium rings (scope taken off for tuskless)
Ammo: Norma 300 solids, Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 300 grains

This is a quick rundown. Am hoping to get some stories published out of this hunt so I won't go into huge detail (exclusivity issues). But, had a blast. Theo was great to work with from start to finish as was Martin. Theo helped me plan the hunt since August of last year. He presented many options and I chose Martin's outfit as the best fit for what I was after.

I achieved the hunting goals (ele/buff/hyena) and even took the hyena in daylight. My PH, Dalton Tink, was amazing. We hunted very hard and he was a good guy to spend a few weeks in the bush with. He was extremely knowledgeable and competent and had zero quit in him. In other words: my kind of PH. I abhor dicking around camp around lunch time and in the early afternoon until the primary trophies are in the salt. This didn't happen. We hunted hard. It took five days to get the primary trophies. During that time I never saw the camp in daylight. The pace slowed after that, but that was fine as my list included just a klippy and grysbok. We did some fishing, saw quite a few klippys but couldn't identify sex in time.

Tuskless was highlight. Unbelievable hunt and experience.

The Omay is a wonderful and wild place. The game is there, but you must find it. On this 12 day hunt I got what I was after other than some pygmy antelopes that I always considered bonus animals anyway. Could have gotten Impala, Waterbuck, Croc, Hippo without any issues (other than my budget). They have a few other species wandering around that wouldn't have been a problem had we been after them. It is a great place for high success leopard hunting. As a houndsmen and mountain lion hunter myself, I was always on the lookout for tracks. They have a lot of leopards there. A lot. We even saw one just driving around one evening. If I can save the money, I'd love to go back and see if Dalton could get me a shot at one! I flew in with a leopard hunter who killed a nice male on night two. They had a lion hunter while I was in camp. He scored a nice male shortly after I left.

Basically, it was a classic tracking hunt in wild, wild Africa. It was affordable as well. I hope to return soon.

I highly recommend both Theo and Martin. If you have questions feel free to PM me.
WP_20150706_07_30_41_Pro.jpg

Looks like a nice mature buff npm

sounds like a great hunt ,
nice buffalo , really like that scar on his cheek , it doesn't look very old (the scar)
marten has some happy clients , and your P.H gets some great revues ,too

Thanks! Was quite pleased with him.

Wonderful Buff! Thanks for sharing. Hope you get to go back for Mr. Spots!(y)

R.

Glad you had a great hunt.

If you get any stories published, let us know where.

Congrats!

Congrats on a great hunt and adventure. Glad to hear Martin and team continue to deliver.

Awesome! Sounds like you had a great hunt. I have heard good things about Martin Pieters Safaris. Their track record speaks volumes.

Thanks for sharing!

Always nice to hear about a succesful trip! Thanks for the report. Great looking animals.

Sounds like a great time you had there , what sort of price range was the hole hunt sounds really good.

Thanks for the report!

Congrats on your Buffalo and good luck with the pubs.

A portion of this hunt can be found in an article I wrote that is featured in the latest DSC Game Trails magazine (2017 Convention Issue). If you're a DSC member, tell me what you think of the story. It is titled "Zambezi Tuskless." Another portion of this hunt will be featured in an upcoming Sports Afield magazine. I'll keep you updated.

Very nice congrats! Look forward to hopefully seeing the magazine

Congratulations. Glad your hunt went well.

A portion of this hunt can be found in an article I wrote that is featured in the latest DSC Game Trails magazine (2017 Convention Issue). If you're a DSC member, tell me what you think of the story. It is titled "Zambezi Tuskless." Another portion of this hunt will be featured in an upcoming Sports Afield magazine. I'll keep you updated.
I read your article in DSC and what a well written piece. Congrats on the hunt with Dalton. He is a great guy and no he does not quit! I hunted with him and Martin in April and would certainly consider hunting with them again.
Regards
Philip

The Buff scar is pretty awesome. Nice to read a report on Zimbabwe. Will look out for the article too. Cheers

Thanks for the kind words Philip. Glad you liked the article. I hope to go back sometime too when the finances are right. It is a good outfit with good people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.