ZIMBABWE: Hunting The BVC In Zimbabwe For Buffalo, John Sharp Safaris Exceeding Expectations

Nearly two weeks have passed since our hunt ended.

I am nearly back into the work groove.

I have been in the loading room, loading ammo, at least 6 of the days since our return.

Kathy and I are somewhat back into our normal routines.

I can honestly say though that I miss the days hunting with John and the team. And I miss the evenings in camp with Cody, Dave and John.

Seldom do you spend 12 entire days with a group of guys and never once have a moment of frustration or anger. Never once wish you could get away. Never once regret where you are, or who you are with.

It was an awesome trip, with an awesome team, with an awesome buddy. Hell, even Delta couldn't piss me off! :)

Thanks to John, Isaac, Lovemore, Gift, Cody, Dave and his team and all the great folks of the BVC for a special hunt that will only get sweeter with time!

Like x 100

I wanted you to bust that old bull so badly! We never could get a rope on him though to tie his ass to a tree! Lol
You are so right though, the hunt was perfect, I loved the stories and I know that it frustrated John not to close the deal on rug head! But like we told them at the beginning of the hunt. As long as we honestly hunt and put in the effort, we will have a successful hunt in the BVC. We were smiled upon and truly blessed to have taken the animals that we did! I am ever grateful to have enjoyed the experience in whole.
I will always remember when John asked us to bring our hard copies of Facing Down Fear to him so he could work on inscribing them and I told him mine would be easy as I had already written the inscription and he needed only to sign it! The look he gave me was priceless! I will cherish that thought ever time I look at that book on my shelf!
Great times, a lot of laughter and memories to take to the other side. Almost unbearable to be back at work!

Hell I got to tell one of the funniest things I had happen! The trackers while waiting for Langerman to retrieve the cruiser started taking selfies of themselves and posing for pictures with the radio like they were calling in air support or something! I was standing there watching this and trying not to piss my pants laughing. I even tried to get them to pose with Dave’s rifle so I could get a picture of them posing for pictures. I asked Dave WTF that was all about and he said they do it for WhatsApp profile pictures! Lmao. From that day on Thomas was known as Tacti-cool Tom. Until the day that he was fishing around in the gut barrel and without washing his hands went to the bush and took a leak! At this point he was renamed Tacti-cool Tom with the tainted Talley-whacker! I’m still laughing daily thinking about that!

Cody just finished day 12, and I am only done with Day 6!

Truth be told, the next 6 days included some of the most incredible hunting...but no shooting!

You see, we set to chasing Eland...the last of the three animals I had on my short list. And the Eland were "wired for sound" as John liked to say.

Cody and I both found the Eland to be pretty few and far between. According to John, the many Lion on the BVC have been particularly hard on them.

But there are some snorters there to hunt (witness Cody's fine bull).

Cody and Dave told us about the group of bulls they had chased. According to Cody, there was a monster with a black rug in the group, but he never made himself available.

It is difficult to believe now, looking back...but I took my Buffalo on day 6 and we hunted Eland until after sundown on day 12! It does not seem like 6 days...but it was.

While hunting buffalo, Isaac and Lovemore saw the tracks of a lone, large Eland bull every day at Dindingwe water hole. Once we started hunting Eland, we never once again saw those tracks, despite checking that hole every day!

But we did get onto Eland bull tracks every day, and we saw the Eland every day. We even got within about 30 yards of Eland...but we never could get a sure shot at Mr. Rug Head.

The final afternoon was a near perfect climax. We had been chasing these Eland and trying not to bump them around too much. But surely they knew we were on them. Finally about sundown we were making what we all assumed would be our last attempt to get in range, when it became evident the Eland were running.

They had either scented us or finally otherwise made a positive ID. In desperation we move after them, hoping beyond hope that we would get a glimpse or Mr. Rug Head would make a mistake.

We finally break out of the thick stuff and cross a track and we see lots of tracks heading West off into another large block. The sun is down, and John and I know this is the end of the road for our hunt.

About the time resignation had sunk in, we notice Isaac and Lovemore are walking perpendicular to the direction the tracks were heading. One or two bulls had broken off and traveled along the ditch of the track.

Hmmm....perhaps it isn't over yet?

As John an I are staring down the track, we see Mr. Rug Head bust out of cover and and stand staring at us!

He is about 250 yards away, with Isaac and Lovemore directly between us. What's more, Isaac has the sticks!

Both Isaac and Lovemore instantly eat dirt and plug their ears. I wrap my left arm in my sling and crank the scope to 6X. Just as the crosshairs are settling onto the bull, he spins and heads back into the bush, never to be seen again!

Had he posed another few seconds, would I have shot? I don't honestly know.

But I can say this for certain...I am glad he ran and I am glad the hunt ended the way it did. It seemed right that he escaped intact, to run with his boys another day.

Those Eland gave me more than my money's worth. I got to watch John, Isaac and Lovemore work their craft, leave tracks for 1 mile swings that put us right back into the Eland...get us within 30 yards of a feeding herd without spooking them. What a treat!

I unloaded my 450 Dakota with complete satisfaction that evening. I had hunted Eland in a way I had never done before. It was an utterly successful Eland hunt!
Wow Tim what a perfect wrap up to as perfect an adventure and hunt as anyone can ask for;)

Congratulations and thanks for taking us along with your excellent writing:)

What a trip! Great hyena Cody, I am still on the hunt for one. Several failed attempts under my belt. Sounds like it was a blast all the way around.

What a trip! Great hyena Cody, I am still on the hunt for one. Several failed attempts under my belt. Sounds like it was a blast all the way around.
Indeed it was Scott! Look forward to hearing your next adventure, did you ever settle on the where yet?

The BVC, great place isn't it! Interesting you mentioned the honey badgers. There was a small electric cooler for beverages and condiments in the Nengo open veranda eating area. Practically every night a honey badger would break into that thing and raid the contents no matter the barricades and attempts at keeping it out. On at least three nights a lion passed between the chalet and the pond and "lit it up" right outside my screen window! At least 105 decibels of cat noise literally rattling any knife, water glass or flashlight sitting on the bed side table! And randomly, most any time after sunset the hyaenas, sounding like broken water whistles, would cut loose somewhere around the camp. And each morning the distinctive, unmistakable drum beat of ground hornbills could be heard from camp as they announced their "fly down call".... I guess that's what they were announcing :) And of course the regular visit by two or three bloody big lizards in the kopje rocks just outside the front of the veranda- monitors I think.

You'll recognize these at Nengo I'm sure. If we could just slow down time!

Veranda Nengo.JPG

nengo fire.JPG

Last edited:
That explains the lock hasp on the cooler! Lol

It’s funny how quickly you can get used to elephants splashing right under your window!
41A7F9DC-DF9E-4922-95C3-490FDAA1DEC9.png

BF064788-D337-437A-8896-0B9CD2819B23.jpeg

ADC74545-8EDD-4685-AF36-5EEFA22C1135.jpeg

If only I could have got a picture of Jessie taking a picture of me taking a picture of John taking a picture of Tim! If only dogs had opposable thumbs and could operate an iPhone!
549C4B39-8CE8-4C3D-BB3E-FD6EA63B1863.jpeg

Tim was pissed I interrupted valuable hunting time for this picture, don’t let his smile fool you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes- definitely a huge plus for me are the elephants, lions, and rhinos there. Those black rhinos were the wildest things- one look or whatever they do and off in a snort and cloud of dust!! :) Up close and personal on foot just watching those big old broken ivory jumbos!! Worth the price of admission I'll tell ya! I was asking about that when there and apparently they are kind of segregated from the cows and calves certain times of the year. With the old bulls and a few askaris staying by themselves in the upper part of the Bubye and the cows down in the lower part. There were a bunch of really good waterbuck, along with a whole host of other game hanging around the Nengo camp dam when I was there. On the northern boundary of Nengo we almost walked right in on top of a younger male lion on a fresh zebra kill. The grass was just high enough to hide him, yikes!!

I knew this was going to be a hell of an adventure! It sounds like it was everything you hoped for and more.
I gotta say, I’m really disappointed to see the report come to an end! You two have done a great job of taking us along with you and reliving the memories. Well done! And thank you.

Had he posed another few seconds, would I have shot? I don't honestly know.

But I can say this for certain...I am glad he ran and I am glad the hunt ended the way it did. It seemed right that he escaped intact, to run with his boys another day.

Those Eland gave me more than my money's worth. I got to watch John, Isaac and Lovemore work their craft, leave tracks for 1 mile swings that put us right back into the Eland...get us within 30 yards of a feeding herd without spooking them. What a treat!

I unloaded my 450 Dakota with complete satisfaction that evening. I had hunted Eland in a way I had never done before. It was an utterly successful Eland hunt!
The absolute perfect way to end the hunt. You will relive the memories and dream about the day you go back to chase eland again. It is a fine addiction! :D

Tim and Cody,

Firstly, thank you for your very kind words, and Dave Hackney, thanks for recommending me to these special people.

We did indeed have a special time, but it could not have been this successful if you two had not put in the time and effort that you did, practising your shooting and working out your various loads. Dave and I just did what we love most and you guys were the best company.

We all have special memories that will last a lifetime, and speaking for Dave too, we miss you.

Really looking forward to seeing you both in Dallas - Dave and I will be in booth #4340.

Blessings,
John

Seldom do you spend 12 entire days with a group of guys and never once have a moment of frustration or anger. Never once wish you could get away. Never once regret where you are, or who you are with.

It was an awesome trip, with an awesome team, with an awesome buddy. Hell, even Delta couldn't piss me off! :)

This!! Well said, love to hear statements like this! I have had that feeling in the past as well!

Tim and Cody,
The way this hunt played out reminded me of two guys years ago talking about the adventures they would have one day in Africa. One of the two never made it to Africa as he was killed in action overseas. I would give all that I have to share one more campfire with him. Make your memories when you can there may not be a "next year". Quality critters are wonderful, but quality people to share such an experience with is priceless. Thank you for taking us along for the ride.

Congrats to you both on an outstanding adventure!

Tim and Cody,
The way this hunt played out reminded me of two guys years ago talking about the adventures they would have one day in Africa. One of the two never made it to Africa as he was killed in action overseas. I would give all that I have to share one more campfire with him. Make your memories when you can there may not be a "next year". Quality critters are wonderful, but quality people to share such an experience with is priceless. Thank you for taking us along for the ride.
You couldn’t be more correct! Hate to hear of your friend but I will say thank you for his sacrifice in battle. We aren’t owed one second on this earth and to many times our friends and loved ones leave us far to soon. I regretted passing up opportunity to spend time with friends and family because of work or other commitments and shortly after they were gone, I try now to take advantage of any chance I can to spend time with the special people in my life. I might one day be old and broke but I will be rich with memories be at peace with the choices I have made in life. Hope my boys are successful in life because they will have to take care of the old man and his damn guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg