ZIMBABWE: Hunting The BVC In Zimbabwe For Buffalo, John Sharp Safaris Exceeding Expectations

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Africa' started by Bullthrower338, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    Like x 100

WAB and tarbe like this.

2. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    I wanted you to bust that old bull so badly! We never could get a rope on him though to tie his ass to a tree! Lol
    You are so right though, the hunt was perfect, I loved the stories and I know that it frustrated John not to close the deal on rug head! But like we told them at the beginning of the hunt. As long as we honestly hunt and put in the effort, we will have a successful hunt in the BVC. We were smiled upon and truly blessed to have taken the animals that we did! I am ever grateful to have enjoyed the experience in whole.
    I will always remember when John asked us to bring our hard copies of Facing Down Fear to him so he could work on inscribing them and I told him mine would be easy as I had already written the inscription and he needed only to sign it! The look he gave me was priceless! I will cherish that thought ever time I look at that book on my shelf!
    Great times, a lot of laughter and memories to take to the other side. Almost unbearable to be back at work!

BobT, Mekaniks, sierraone and 6 others like this.

3. Bullthrower338

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    Hell I got to tell one of the funniest things I had happen! The trackers while waiting for Langerman to retrieve the cruiser started taking selfies of themselves and posing for pictures with the radio like they were calling in air support or something! I was standing there watching this and trying not to piss my pants laughing. I even tried to get them to pose with Dave’s rifle so I could get a picture of them posing for pictures. I asked Dave WTF that was all about and he said they do it for WhatsApp profile pictures! Lmao. From that day on Thomas was known as Tacti-cool Tom. Until the day that he was fishing around in the gut barrel and without washing his hands went to the bush and took a leak! At this point he was renamed Tacti-cool Tom with the tainted Talley-whacker! I’m still laughing daily thinking about that!

ufg8r93, Mekaniks, BeeMaa and 7 others like this.

4. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    Wow Tim what a perfect wrap up to as perfect an adventure and hunt as anyone can ask for;)

Congratulations and thanks for taking us along with your excellent writing:)

Bullthrower338 and tarbe like this.

5. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    What a trip! Great hyena Cody, I am still on the hunt for one. Several failed attempts under my belt. Sounds like it was a blast all the way around.

Bullthrower338 and tarbe like this.

6. Bullthrower338

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Indeed it was Scott! Look forward to hearing your next adventure, did you ever settle on the where yet?

7. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    :whistle::whistle::rolleyes::D

Bullthrower338 likes this.

8. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    The BVC, great place isn't it! Interesting you mentioned the honey badgers. There was a small electric cooler for beverages and condiments in the Nengo open veranda eating area. Practically every night a honey badger would break into that thing and raid the contents no matter the barricades and attempts at keeping it out. On at least three nights a lion passed between the chalet and the pond and "lit it up" right outside my screen window! At least 105 decibels of cat noise literally rattling any knife, water glass or flashlight sitting on the bed side table! And randomly, most any time after sunset the hyaenas, sounding like broken water whistles, would cut loose somewhere around the camp. And each morning the distinctive, unmistakable drum beat of ground hornbills could be heard from camp as they announced their "fly down call".... I guess that's what they were announcing :) And of course the regular visit by two or three bloody big lizards in the kopje rocks just outside the front of the veranda- monitors I think.

You'll recognize these at Nengo I'm sure. If we could just slow down time!

Veranda Nengo.JPG

nengo fire.JPG

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    tarbe, ufg8r93, WAB and 4 others like this.

9. Bullthrower338

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    That explains the lock hasp on the cooler! Lol

It’s funny how quickly you can get used to elephants splashing right under your window!
    41A7F9DC-DF9E-4922-95C3-490FDAA1DEC9.png

tarbe, ufg8r93, ActionBob and 2 others like this.

10. Bullthrower338

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    BF064788-D337-437A-8896-0B9CD2819B23.jpeg
    ADC74545-8EDD-4685-AF36-5EEFA22C1135.jpeg
    If only I could have got a picture of Jessie taking a picture of me taking a picture of John taking a picture of Tim! If only dogs had opposable thumbs and could operate an iPhone!
    549C4B39-8CE8-4C3D-BB3E-FD6EA63B1863.jpeg
    Tim was pissed I interrupted valuable hunting time for this picture, don’t let his smile fool you!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019
    ufg8r93, Mekaniks, BeeMaa and 6 others like this.

11. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Yes- definitely a huge plus for me are the elephants, lions, and rhinos there. Those black rhinos were the wildest things- one look or whatever they do and off in a snort and cloud of dust!! :) Up close and personal on foot just watching those big old broken ivory jumbos!! Worth the price of admission I'll tell ya! I was asking about that when there and apparently they are kind of segregated from the cows and calves certain times of the year. With the old bulls and a few askaris staying by themselves in the upper part of the Bubye and the cows down in the lower part. There were a bunch of really good waterbuck, along with a whole host of other game hanging around the Nengo camp dam when I was there. On the northern boundary of Nengo we almost walked right in on top of a younger male lion on a fresh zebra kill. The grass was just high enough to hide him, yikes!!

ActionBob, tarbe and Bullthrower338 like this.

12. IdaRam

IdaRam SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    I knew this was going to be a hell of an adventure! It sounds like it was everything you hoped for and more.
    I gotta say, I’m really disappointed to see the report come to an end! You two have done a great job of taking us along with you and reliving the memories. Well done! And thank you.

13. IdaRam

IdaRam SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    The absolute perfect way to end the hunt. You will relive the memories and dream about the day you go back to chase eland again. It is a fine addiction! :D

tarbe and Bullthrower338 like this.

14. John Sharp

John Sharp AH Member

Tim and Cody,

Firstly, thank you for your very kind words, and Dave Hackney, thanks for recommending me to these special people.

We did indeed have a special time, but it could not have been this successful if you two had not put in the time and effort that you did, practising your shooting and working out your various loads. Dave and I just did what we love most and you guys were the best company.

We all have special memories that will last a lifetime, and speaking for Dave too, we miss you.

Really looking forward to seeing you both in Dallas - Dave and I will be in booth #4340.

Blessings,
    John

ufg8r93, Lefty Hunter, WAB and 9 others like this.

15. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    This!! Well said, love to hear statements like this! I have had that feeling in the past as well!

16. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    :ROFLMAO:;):ROFLMAO:;):ROFLMAO:(y)

ActionBob and Bullthrower338 like this.

17. Dirtdart

Dirtdart SILVER SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member SCI, Benefactor NRA, NMLRA.
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia
    Tim and Cody,
    The way this hunt played out reminded me of two guys years ago talking about the adventures they would have one day in Africa. One of the two never made it to Africa as he was killed in action overseas. I would give all that I have to share one more campfire with him. Make your memories when you can there may not be a "next year". Quality critters are wonderful, but quality people to share such an experience with is priceless. Thank you for taking us along for the ride.

BobT, Royal27, Velo Dog and 6 others like this.

18. Custom

Custom BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
    Congrats to you both on an outstanding adventure!

tarbe and Bullthrower338 like this.

19. Bullthrower338

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    You couldn’t be more correct! Hate to hear of your friend but I will say thank you for his sacrifice in battle. We aren’t owed one second on this earth and to many times our friends and loved ones leave us far to soon. I regretted passing up opportunity to spend time with friends and family because of work or other commitments and shortly after they were gone, I try now to take advantage of any chance I can to spend time with the special people in my life. I might one day be old and broke but I will be rich with memories be at peace with the choices I have made in life. Hope my boys are successful in life because they will have to take care of the old man and his damn guns.

BobT, Royal27, sestoppelman and 4 others like this.

20. Ragman

Ragman AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
    I wanna go!!!