ZIMBABWE: First Hunt In Africa, First Hunting Report, Dalton & York Safaris

Fabulous hunt and a great story! I’m really glad you decided to write it up.

Congratulations on a fantastic trip. Well done on that bushbuck. :D Beers:

Oh yea...geez that bushbuck is big!

When heading away from the mountains with the Zebra quarters and skin in the truck, we spotted another herd of Impala. Dalton had his binos up and said, that’s a nice Ram.. a very nice Ram. We both looked at each other and he stoped and we got out, rifle handed to me and on the sticks. This large Ram was quartering away hard, and I thought I would be cute and sneak a bullet behind his shoulder, this is where I make my first major mistake. I pulled the shot to the right and with his head down feeding, I sink the bullet into his neck and out his lower jaw, breaking it. The herd takes off running but not far. Dalton pulls down the sticks and we take off running while I reload. We move 50-60 yards closer where the herd stopped, he points the wounded ram out, I send another one down and drop him. I was pretty pissed off at myself with this shot as I’ve been on point all hunt, but it was down, and a fine ram it was.

IMG_5414.jpeg

IMG_5412.jpeg

IMG_5455.jpeg

Really outstanding hunt report and especially your photos, which is greatly appreciated that you took the time to take and post. Please continue on!

Rifle was a Winchester model 70 375 with a schmidt and bender klassik 3-12. Many would say this is too much scope but it worked perfectly for me and I didn’t have an issue with it at all. Other than the buffalo, all shots were Barnes 300 gr tsx. The buff had some hornady factory solids in it too.

Great hunt report. How is York doing with his recovery from the snake bite? I truly enjoyed your report and the picks.

Great hunt report. How is York doing with his recovery from the snake bite? I truly enjoyed your report and the picks.
I don’t think it was a snake bite, but he fell and broke his leg trying to get away from the snake , I could be wrong though.

I knew what was coming and still impressed! You Kinged your first safari bro

That 300 TSX is a great bullet. I used it on a one rifle Safari this summer with excellent results.

That Bushbuck is impressive. Very nice. Never been much concerned about a hippo, but he looks huge. They all seem to have a lot of scars. Rough life I suppose. Nice croc! Real dandy. Good shooting on this trip.
Bruce

Congratulations. Your pictures and story brings back great memories of my first safari with them last august.I also hunted with Dalton and had my buff down 3 hours into the 1st day. Dalton & York have a great camp and crew. Absolutely loved every minute over there with them. My once in a lifetime hunt turned into being booked for 2025 5 days into the hunt. Can’t wait to go back.

Congrats on a great first hunt and some amazing trophies. What part of CT?

Not sure who you’re using on the taxidermy side in CT but you might want to look at Johnny with Its A Trophy Taxidermy in the Waterford area. He has a ton of experience with African animals and is a great guy. If I lived closer, he’d be doing some work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArleneWhee

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani