Zebra Gender

Dox

AH veteran
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
153
Reaction score
12
Deals & offers
3
Media
3
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Hi

I would like to know how do you see the difference between a zebra stallion and mare?
The farm that I am hunting on does not allow hunting female species from August - December for mating reasons.
Help would really really be appreciated.

Thanx
Dox:confused:
 
Hell Dox, i would look very closely....:uptosome:

Personally, if i was unsure and did not want to make a mistake i would ask the farm owner or hunting guide / tracker to accompany me for verification before the shot.

Here is something interesting:
African Wildlife: Facts on Zebra
 
Show the Zebra a 'Playboy Playmate'..if you get stomped on,it's a female..!
 
Dox,

Check out this post for using Zebra genitalia to differentiate between sexes: Judging Zebra


watermark.php
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jerome you are too good...

blending the AH into the zebra stripes..
 
If you don't have a direct view on the genitals:
Since zebras are a kind of horse, one can judge the gender by the size of the neck: stallions have a more muscular neck.
But I think you need some experience for this, same as determining a blue wildebeest's gender by the base of the horns...
So the best advice will be that of fhm3006: let your PH decide.
 
Dox,
I studied phots ect. before i went. I simply found it impossible to tell the difference. When some came stampeding in to the water hole the PH had to tell me second from the left. The stallions sex organs are just to well hidden.
 
Thanx for all the tips I really appreciate it
 
quick tips! If the herd is running away from predators, the stallion always hangs at the back of the group. If you whistle loud enough he'll stop to see whats up! When you look at the side on view, the female's stomach really tucks up into the hind quarters pronouncedly! The males is much more of a flatter stomach. So she looks more pot bellied than him. Using the old 'thicker neck', 'thinner black stripe under the tail' etc ways can be dangerous! From 200m away it's too difficult to judge on that premise... what if there's a male group without any females?!
 
Jerome you are good!
Yes the females are very often with foal. Look at the build of the animal. The stalions are usually a bit broader in the neck. I would not go out with out a PH. If he makes the mistake then so be it!
You are paying for 1:1 hunt, that means one hunter to one guide. Look at the first animal and the last animal. They are usually the old guys. The little younger animals have better skins as they do not fight so much.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,322
Messages
1,572,891
Members
169,633
Latest member
RusselLand
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top