Dox

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi

I would like to know how do you see the difference between a zebra stallion and mare?
The farm that I am hunting on does not allow hunting female species from August - December for mating reasons.
Help would really really be appreciated.

Thanx
Dox:confused:

Hell Dox, i would look very closely....:uptosome:

Personally, if i was unsure and did not want to make a mistake i would ask the farm owner or hunting guide / tracker to accompany me for verification before the shot.

Here is something interesting:
African Wildlife: Facts on Zebra

Show the Zebra a 'Playboy Playmate'..if you get stomped on,it's a female..!

Dox,

Check out this post for using Zebra genitalia to differentiate between sexes: Judging Zebra

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerome you are too good...

blending the AH into the zebra stripes..

If you don't have a direct view on the genitals:
Since zebras are a kind of horse, one can judge the gender by the size of the neck: stallions have a more muscular neck.
But I think you need some experience for this, same as determining a blue wildebeest's gender by the base of the horns...
So the best advice will be that of fhm3006: let your PH decide.

Dox,
I studied phots ect. before i went. I simply found it impossible to tell the difference. When some came stampeding in to the water hole the PH had to tell me second from the left. The stallions sex organs are just to well hidden.

Thanx for all the tips I really appreciate it

quick tips! If the herd is running away from predators, the stallion always hangs at the back of the group. If you whistle loud enough he'll stop to see whats up! When you look at the side on view, the female's stomach really tucks up into the hind quarters pronouncedly! The males is much more of a flatter stomach. So she looks more pot bellied than him. Using the old 'thicker neck', 'thinner black stripe under the tail' etc ways can be dangerous! From 200m away it's too difficult to judge on that premise... what if there's a male group without any females?!

Jerome you are good!
Yes the females are very often with foal. Look at the build of the animal. The stalions are usually a bit broader in the neck. I would not go out with out a PH. If he makes the mistake then so be it!
You are paying for 1:1 hunt, that means one hunter to one guide. Look at the first animal and the last animal. They are usually the old guys. The little younger animals have better skins as they do not fight so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross