Mrbuck001

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Scotland, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Slovenia, Hungary and South Africa
Hi guys.

I have an opportunitet to by a Zanardini 9,3x74R Super Express double rifle but is unsure if this caliber will kill a cape buffalo with a 18,5 gram bullet. Any one have experience with this caliber an african game?

Regards Peter
Denmark

I have killed and seen others kill quite a few Cap Buffalo with the equivalent round made for the bolt action, the 9.3x62. I would happily hunt buffalo with the 9.3x74R or the similar 375F .
More importantly would be bullet choice. A strong Softnose and some solids are ideal.

The caliber will work fine , BUT because that is an unknown brand of rifle to me I'd suggest trying it out before you spent your kroners!

It has plenty of Killing power for buffalo, but I know in countries with a .375 minimum caliber requirement the 9.3x74R only has .366 Diameter. So it would not be a legal option for dangerous game in that country. :confused: So it depends on where you want to hunt. Make sure It is a legal option... I know I had an instance where all we had to defend ourselves was a .338 win mag, It killed the buffalo very effectively, even though it wasn't a legal caliber

I would strongly discourage you to use 9.3x74R on buffalo, and I am speaking of experience.
I have tried it a few years ago and it was not a pleasant experience. The shots were clean but the buf just did not go down.
This caliber is mostly used for large european game, driven hunts, for example red deers or wild boars, and works perfectly well in those cases.
But it is slow and relatively lacking energy (much less than the 9.3x62), moreover the choice of bullets is relatively restricted. I do not know where you live, but I was unable to find solids here (in Switzerland). I hunted with strong soft-nose...
Since then I have switched first to 375 H&H (which is the minimal I am comfortable with), then to 458 WM and have now finally settled for 416 W.

Hope this helps.

sorry jepetto have to disagree on this one, as there is hardly any difference in the factory loads for the 9.3x62 and the 9.3x74r. both have taken plenty of buffalo in the past. i have in the past used rws steel jacketed solids, and now have woodleigh solids loaded for me as i use them for other things. i would be happy using either of my 9.3`s on buffalo at the same time realising the limitations they have in that situation.

Thanks for the reply guys. I bought it and look forward to shoot it now;-) Plan is to mount an Aimpoint Micro on it, as I dont think I will shoot at game more than 100 yards away with it.

Hi guys.

I have an opportunitet to by a Zanardini 9,3x74R Super Express double rifle but is unsure if this caliber will kill a cape buffalo with a 18,5 gram bullet. Any one have experience with this caliber an african game?

Regards Peter
Denmark

Hello Peter,

Just a minor comment: the 9.3x74r, while effective, is not legal for Cape Buffalo in many of the African Countries. You might want to take a look at the game laws first to be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg