Your Favorite Rifle Actions

Only ones I have used:

Ruger 77

Remington 700

I agree.
Moreover, I think that Sako, with Tikka have been the first to offer 1 moa guaranty. Having both, I do not disagree.

Now, there are other competitors, offering this same guarantee.

I recall Weatherby offering this accuracy guarantee about 50 years ago. Did Sako pre-date that?

Sako has a sort of control feed but omg the bolts are so slick!

Dear Forum Members ,
As part of a new article which l am writing on " African Hunting " Forums , l wish to conduct a small survey amongst you gentlemen .
What is each of your preferred rifle actions ? You can only name a maximum of 3 , but not more .

For example , l will start with my own . Based on the rifles which my clients would bring to India for shikar in the 1960s and some examples which l have seen in modern times , my personal favorites are :
1) Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 action
2) Pattern 14 Enfield action
3) Mayfair magnum Mauser action

I do hope that you all will take a little time to contribute to my survey.

Yours sincerely ,
Major Poton Khan ( Retired )
Major Khan.
My favorite 3 are
1885 low or high wall, simple smooth very elegant and should be made in modern cals
M17/ P14 Enfield big strong fast to operate can be made,into some really big calibers including 505 Gibbs. It was Art Alpins favorite rifle for his big A square cals.
Savage 110 made the year I was born 1958, can be had in any reasonable cal, easy to change barrels, extremely accurate and reasonable price. My own is a 270 win converted to the wonderful 35 Whelan.

Major Khan.
My favorite 3 are
1885 low or high wall, simple smooth very elegant and should be made in modern cals
M17/ P14 Enfield big strong fast to operate can be made,into some really big calibers including 505 Gibbs. It was Art Alpins favorite rifle for his big A square cals.
Savage 110 made the year I was born 1958, can be had in any reasonable cal, easy to change barrels, extremely accurate and reasonable price. My own is a 270 win converted to the wonderful 35 Whelan.
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your most useful input , Bob . I am afraid that you are an hour late . I have already written the article about rifle actions 1 hour ago. You may see the survey results in the " rifles" section of my article " The World Of Hunting : Then And Now . " . I will however , make a small note to add your vote to my survey at the bottom. It is fascinating that aside from myself , you are the only other gentleman who preferred a Pattern 14 Enfield action in this survey .

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your most useful input , Bob . I am afraid that you are an hour late . I have already written the article about rifle actions 1 hour ago. You may see the survey results in the " rifles" section of my article " The World Of Hunting : Then And Now . " . I will however , make a small note to add your vote to my survey at the bottom. It is fascinating that aside from myself , you are the only other gentleman who preferred a Pattern 14 Enfield action in this survey .
Ponton
I love the P14 great for converting to a magnum cal as no alterations needed for the bolt face. It's cousin The M17 is also wonderful. Neither of mine have that horrible conversion to cock on opening. They are still cock on closing making the very fast to operate compared with the mausers . The dog leg bolt gives them a touch o class. Mine both have timney triggers tho.

It is fascinating that aside from myself , you are the only other gentleman who preferred a Pattern 14 Enfield action in this survey .
Well eventually I may join y'all in enjoying the P14/M1917, I just don't have one yet! I'd thought about doing one in .375H&H one day but .404 Jeffery sounds like fun too. ;)

Well eventually I may join y'all in enjoying the P14/M1917, I just don't have one yet! I'd thought about doing one in .375H&H one day but .404 Jeffery sounds like fun too. ;)
Well , l should hope that you give it a try , Webley ! After the pre 64 Winchester Model 70 , the Pattern 14 Enfield action is my 2nd most favorite.

Webley
I am about to put my M17 on the market. It is highly modified to similar specs as the Remington mod 30, lightened action ect. Cal 35Whelan AI ,Boyds pepper laminate stock, timney trigger and custom mounts. Pity you don't live in Australia.

Webley
I am about to put my M17 on the market. It is highly modified to similar specs as the Remington mod 30, lightened action ect. Cal 35Whelan AI ,Boyds pepper laminate stock, timney trigger and custom mounts. Pity you don't live in Australia.
Alas, even if I didn't live in Australia, I've got another project that'll be taking my time and money first. But one day, when that's finished and I've made up my mind on what I'd like my next project to be, doing a P14/M1917 is a strong contender. Unless I decide to do the .35-or-.400 Whelen rebuild on my 1903A3... or the .375/303WR on my Lee-Enfield... or the single-shot .450-or-.470 Nitro... or get a handsome German Drilling... or the Webley of my namesake...

I cant go past the 98 Mauser as favourite action but the Magazine Lee Enfield is right with it in the stalking rifle configuration. When it comes to the DG rifle the 98 action is hands down best of them all.
The Martini action is right up there in the single shot category in terms of visual and physical desirability.

The Martini action is right up there in the single shot category in terms of visual and physical desirability.
Before I pretty much settled on the use of a 1885 High Wall for a single-shot, I'd given considerable thought to a Martini/Martini-Henry rebuilt for .450 or .470 Nitro Express (I may have mentioned that one in some earlier threads) but further investigation suggested that it'd be pretty difficult to just insert the cartridge, along with the action possibly not being adequately strong; d'you know if that's true?

Before I pretty much settled on the use of a 1885 High Wall for a single-shot, I'd given considerable thought to a Martini/Martini-Henry rebuilt for .450 or .470 Nitro Express (I may have mentioned that one in some earlier threads) but further investigation suggested that it'd be pretty difficult to just insert the cartridge, along with the action possibly not being adequately strong; d'you know if that's true?
From what I understand the loading block does not rest against the pivot pin in lock-up as the eliptical pin surround abuts against the rear of the frame so it should be strong enough for cartridges in the heavy 45-70 pressure region.
Operation of the Martini action
The lock and breech are held to the stock by a metal bolt (A). The breech is closed by the block (B) which turns on the pin (C) that passes through the rear of the block. The end of the block is rounded to form a knuckle joint with the back of the case (D) which receives the force of the recoil rather than the pin

the load ramp can have the rear of the ramp reshaped to allow for longer cartridge to "turn the corner" into the chamber but the need for this is dependent on the length and diameter of the cartridge intened for use compared to the 577-450 (or in some cases the 402) cartridge the ramp was designed for

the load ramp can have the rear of the ramp reshaped to allow for longer cartridge to "turn the corner" into the chamber but the need for this is dependent on the length and diameter of the cartridge intened for use compared to the 577-450 (or in some cases the 402) cartridge the ramp was designed for
That's the part I was told; the .450 NE (as an example) is ~20cm longer than the .577-450, so getting it to "turn the corner" would be pretty difficult without a bottleneck. The Sharps '74 and Win. '85, on the other hand, load straight into the chamber from the rear, so cartridge length is much less of a problem.

That's the part I was told; the .450 NE (as an example) is ~20cm longer than the .577-450, so getting it to "turn the corner" would be pretty difficult without a bottleneck..

:):) 20cm is 200mm or 8 inches so I agree that is would be hard to get it to turn the corner but even at 2cm or 3/4 inch it may not be practical.

:):) 20cm is 200mm or 8 inches so I agree that is would be hard to get it to turn the corner but even at 2cm or 3/4 inch it may not be practical.
... Drat you discovered my secret plot to hunt with a railway cannon! 20mm, of course I meant, but yes, not very practical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg