Your Favorite Rifle Actions

Jeffrey

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Louisiana, Mississippi, Kansas,
I really like the hinged floorplate variations of the Kimber 84.

Also, I actually prefer the New Haven “Classic” (Pre 2006 trigger) Model 70 action to the Pre ‘64.

The BRNO ZKK series with pop up peep, especially if a Winchester safety has been installed.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Bolt action!

OK based on what I currently own I have to put these 3 forward. Based on budget really as I would have many more rifles and variety if money was not a factor.

Tikka T3 , I have a couple of configurations. CTR, HB, Sporter. They are smooth actions and they work
Remington 700, its functional and the precursor to many clone variety built by various companies to higher tolerance with some individual improvements
CZ550 , This is my CRF safari rifle, .375 H&H just because i wanted one or more so a small collection of functional rifles representative of different types.

I should add that older Brno rim-fires are popular in Australia, well they were when there were rabbits to shoot.

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Out of all of my dear forum members who had responded to the survey ,
19 opted for the Mauser 98 action.
17 opted for the Winchester Model 70 action.
8 opted for the BRNO ZKK 600 series rifle actions.
5 opted for the Blaser R 8 action.
4 opted for the CZ Model 550 Safari magnum action.
4 opted for the Ruger Model 77 action.
3 opted for the FN Mauser action.
3 opted for the Enfield 1917 action.
3 opted for the Springfield Model 1903 action.
3 opted for the Remington Model 700 action .
2 opted for the Sako action.
2 opted for the Weatherby action.
2 opted for the Kimber action .
2 opted for the Savage Model 110 action.
2 opted for custom rifle actions.
1 opted for the Brevex magnum Mauser action ( I think that we all know who that person is . )
1 opted for the Montana Rifle Company action
1 opted for the Mannlicher Model 1903 action
1 opted for the Zastava Serbian Mauser action.

Based on above, the statistics say, for bolt actions:
80% of hunters prefer CRF action, various makers
20% of hunters prefer PF action, various makers.

In case, the question is on straight pull or turn bolt action, the we have:
8% for straight pull
92% for turn bolt action PF, or CRF.

nksmfamjp

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
MT, OH
Also, I actually prefer the New Haven “Classic” (Pre 2006 trigger) Model 70 action to the Pre ‘64.

So does my gunsmith apparently!

I agree. These are great smooth working actions out of the box. They can be slicked up, I suppose, but start pretty good, ime.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I'm anxious to see how the numbers fall on this one.
Certainly CRF will rule the day, but it's the rest of the field I'm interested in.
:A Popcorn:

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles

The BRNO ZKK series with pop up peep, especially if a Winchester safety has been installed.
Your choices are extremely sound , Jeffery. I only have experience with the pre 64 Winchester Model 70 rifles and the push feed Winchester Model 70 rifles . A close friend of mine ( who is also a forum member here ) owns a BRNO ZKK 600 bolt rifle chambered in 7 x57 mm Mauser and l have had the opportunity to shoot it recently. It is a splendid piece with the folding diopter.

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles

Your choices are extremely sound , Jeffery. I only have experience with the pre 64 Winchester Model 70 rifles and the push feed Winchester Model 70 rifles . A close friend of mine ( who is also a forum member here ) owns a BRNO ZKK 600 bolt rifle chambered in 7 x57 mm Mauser and l have had the opportunity to shoot it recently. It is a splendid piece with the folding diopter.

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Bolt action!

OK based on what I currently own I have to put these 3 forward. Based on budget really as I would have many more rifles and variety if money was not a factor.

Tikka T3 , I have a couple of configurations. CTR, HB, Sporter. They are smooth actions and they work
Remington 700, its functional and the precursor to many clone variety built by various companies to higher tolerance with some individual improvements
CZ550 , This is my CRF safari rifle, .375 H&H just because i wanted one or more so a small collection of functional rifles representative of different types.

I should add that older Brno rim-fires are popular in Australia, well they were when there were rabbits to shoot.
Those are very sensible choices , CBH Australia . I notice that many our brother sports men from Australia have a preference for Tikka rifles .

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I'm anxious to see how the numbers fall on this one.
Certainly CRF will rule the day, but it's the rest of the field I'm interested in.
:A Popcorn:
The results are out , Bee May. You may read it in the “ rifles “ section of my new article “ The World of Hunting : Then & Now “ . I believe that the results may interest you .

Longwalker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia
Only listing ones I have used:
1. Brno ZKK series, the original ones with pop up aperture sight and set trigger option, in three action lengths
2. Sako "A" series, with length and size of action matched to the cartridge
3. Double SxS barrel, Anson and Deeley action with greener cross bolt, ejector, double trigger rifle fitted with QD scope mount ( various makers, but mine is a Merkel 140 AE)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhillipBoa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh