Attachments

• DSC04293-X2.jpg
    DSC04293-X2.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC04299-X2.jpg
    DSC04299-X2.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful.rifles. this thread should have been started earlier!

Beautiful.rifles. this thread should have been started earlier!

The first few posts were in 2011 and then a 4 year gap until 2015. Some time needed to pass to get the custom rifle work done. I am still waiting for mine.

I don't have a custom rifle to share... yet. But I've got one in the planning stages to be a .404 Jeffery from Wayne at AHR.

One question for you all (as I've seen a couple examples in this thread): how many of you have a Monte Carlo stock on a DG rifle?

I've found the vast majority of guns don't mount to my shoulder with more than half the butt, unless they have a Monte Carlo or other Stock option to get a lot of drop in the heel.

Or would it look really weird to put an adjustable butt plate on a custom rifle?

500 Jeff on ZKK602 action

a 338 RUM build

I took a couple of those Winchester RUM actions and did one in 338 and another in 358...........Hammers for medium calibers, but the damn barrels have to be so long at 24 inches in that small caliber......... Of course done by SSK.......I can't find a photo of the 338 just yet...............

DSC03723-X2.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03723-X2.jpg
    DSC03723-X2.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 106
I took a couple of those Winchester RUM actions and did one in 338 and another in 358...........Hammers for medium calibers, but the damn barrels have to be so long at 24 inches in that small caliber......... Of course done by SSK.......I can't find a photo of the 338 just yet...............

DSC03723-X2.jpg
Beautiful rifles, my barrel will be 21.5" when I build my 338. That is what the factory barrel is cut to currently. I charted my velocity loss from original length down to this length. I'm clocking 2750 fps with 225 gr TTSX and about 2700 fps with 250 gr. Enough bullet weight and velocity for my intentions. 150 gr TTSX out of a 308 win punched through an antelope at 349 yards, 1 shot and done by my son. I figure I'm good with the extra weight and momentum with those numbers.

Because I once cried watching hand-rubbed linseed oil finished French walnut turn into a gray warped plank, and rust blue turn to rust, over the course of a 10 days, non-stop rain, fly-camp moose hunt in Newfoundland, despite my best nightly efforts; and because my last $xx,xxx custom Griffin & Howe bespoke rifle (.340 Wby on ZKK 602 action) ended up like this at the Phoenix departure (or Seattle arrival?) airport:

DSCN0472.JPG

My custom rifles now look like that:

Perfect African Battery #2.jpg

Absolutely matched .300 Wby, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby built by Triple River Gunsmithing on modified CZ 550 actions (released and polished actions; tuned up and polished feeding rails and ramps; Timney triggers; upgraded magazine follower springs; jeweled bolts & extractors; American Hunting Rifles bolt-mounted, firing pin-blocking safeties; straightened bolt handles; filled bolt handle knobs; barrel boss rear sight bases, barrel band front swivel mounts; New England Custom Guns barrel band front sight ramps; interchangeable front sight inserts; non glare, corrosion resistant ferritic nitrocarburizing metal finish; Bell & Carlson kevlar stock with full length aluminum bedding block and integrated bedding pillars; Leica scopes in Talley mounts).

Smooth as silk, fully reliable, MOA accurate, impervious to elements, virtually indestructible. The epitome of "utilitarian beauty." No show pieces for sure, but ruthless field pieces...

Last edited:
good post one day.
you are righ.
there is such a thing as utilitarian beauty.
and when you shoot any rifle in that battery you practise for any of the others.
very well thought out based on experience.
also the stocks are of modern design without excess drop at heel like older euro or british guns so touted for their superiority, but in factwith stocks still in the muzzle loader age.
bruce.

You guys are killing me. I have 2 WSM actions for 458 B&M's and a 338 RUM build..in my mind. Can't do it right now though. Damn oil prices and Chinese flu.

If you want a 50 B&M, I am selling a friend's widow's .50 B&M (never fired except for function test). Save you some $$$ and help her out at the same time.

My favorite rifle and the one I would keep if limited to only one!
375 H&H custom rifle built on Winchester Mod 70 Pre-64 action, Wiebe bottom metal, EAW detachable mounts and a Kahles 2,5-10 scope. My go to load is a 270 gr Swift A Frame at a moderate 2680 f/ps.

3A94AE25-B7BF-4732-9E16-B1DA245D4D14.jpeg

Beautiful rifles, my barrel will be 21.5" when I build my 338. That is what the factory barrel is cut to currently. I charted my velocity loss from original length down to this length. I'm clocking 2750 fps with 225 gr TTSX and about 2700 fps with 250 gr. Enough bullet weight and velocity for my intentions. 150 gr TTSX out of a 308 win punched through an antelope at 349 yards, 1 shot and done by my son. I figure I'm good with the extra weight and momentum with those numbers.

Indeed. I have not played with my 338 RUM since 2012, records show I was shooting 200 CEB Raptors at 3280 fps, various 225s 3100+-, and 250s 2900 and change.

Back in 2010 I had to borrow a friends, wrong handed 338 Winchester, for two muskox. United Air lost my luggage with my 416 B&M ammo in it. I had loaded 225 Barnes X for my buddies 338, and ended up having to use his left hand rifle and at least the ammo I had loaded anyway. I had two muskox down within a 100 yards of each other with zero issues, and the 225 Barnes did fine, as I recall it was around 2750-2800 fps in his rifle.

I don't have a custom rifle to share... yet. But I've got one in the planning stages to be a .404 Jeffery from Wayne at AHR.

One question for you all (as I've seen a couple examples in this thread): how many of you have a Monte Carlo stock on a DG rifle?

I've found the vast majority of guns don't mount to my shoulder with more than half the butt, unless they have a Monte Carlo or other Stock option to get a lot of drop in the heel.

Or would it look really weird to put an adjustable butt plate on a custom rifle?

That's the beauty of a custom rifle. You build it to fit you physically and emotionally. Some of the build decisions will be objective and some will be subjective but build it the way YOU want and don't worry about what others think. The net result is your perfect rifle and your opinion is the only one that matters.

There are some stunning rifles in this thread and none of them are my idea of the perfect rifle even though a couple are extremely close. I plan to unapologetically plagiarize some of the ideas. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg