Your Custom Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Code4, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    Great and beautiful rifles Von Gruff.
    Very good work.Congrats.
    All the best.
    Witold

2. Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Bob Nelson 35Whelen AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    Absolutely beautiful love the engraving on the floor plate. Great caliber as well
    Good to say it's not a safe queen.
    Bob

3. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    This rifle was built by Al Lind. It is a 7x57, and the idea was to create the feel of a pre-war German stalking rifle with modern dimensions such as the high comb for scope use. If I were to do it again, we would have included open sights. It is dainty little thing that is perfect for Texas whitetail.
    [​IMG]

This is a .404 built on a somewhat modified CZ action by Craig Libhart. It is a big robust rifle, and I regret to say that I have not taken it to Africa.

[​IMG]

Sadly, I do not know who built this rifle, but the man who ordered it new what he was doing. It was designed to utilize a Griffin & Howe sidemount. This left room for a redfield rear sight with a large "ghost ring" aperture. No traditional rear sight was ever mounted and the front sight has a generous ivory bead. It has a lovely slim English walnut stock with perfect grain through the wrist for strength. Its only flaw is the FN action which uses the ridiculous hinged bolt release that can malfunction in dust. I took my first buffalo with it (my avatar) in the Caprivi.

[​IMG]

Lastly, is my .338 Win Mag. Again, I have no idea who built this rifle. I have taken it apart and can find no maker's name on it. It is the rifle that accompanied me on my first hunt in Africa. It is supremely accurate with 250 gr bullets, and with it, I took my leopard and significant amount of plains game, to include my best kudu. The Trijicon scope dates from that hunt. Whoever built it knew his business. It is perfectly bedded and the action is smooth as glass.

gun7.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2020

4. Tanks

Tanks AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Interesting, I have had a couple of conversations with Al Lind about building me a 7x57 Mannlicher style full length stock rifle with a 20" barrel. I will provide the barreled action. If at the end I go with Al, then I will fly there to give him the barreled action and get fully measured and further discuss the details.

375 Ruger Fan and Red Leg like this.

5. Red Leg

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    He is a genius (though I should warn you, his pace is shall we say - deliberate). Metal work was done by one of his colleagues (have the name back in the files somewhere). I had an Argentine action, but this fellow had one already prepped, so went with that one.

Bob Nelson 35Whelen and Tanks like this.

6. Jon Glajchen

Jon Glajchen AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAHGCA,NHSA,SA Wingshooters,Dullstroom Flyfishers
    Hunted:
    South Africa,Namibia,Botswana
    Custom 270 Win on an FN Mauser commercial action with a semi-weight Lothar Walther match barrel.The stock came from a slab of dark walnut from New Zealand.
    The rifle is very accurate!

4FEE3700-D958-4BD8-BAA5-CA0003E0D63C.jpeg

BB77A051-768B-446A-8B0E-CC7914AA9B91.jpeg

7. Tanks

Tanks AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I can understand "deliberate". Most custom work takes months if not years sometimes. My competition pistols took 16 months each, and any rifle takes over a year by the time you add action build, barreling and stock build. I decided to build a new Turkish walnut stock on my .458 B&M. It is 4 months and counting, supposed to finish in another two weeks. Original promise was a month ago.

Bob Nelson 35Whelen and Red Leg like this.

8. Jon Glajchen

Jon Glajchen AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAHGCA,NHSA,SA Wingshooters,Dullstroom Flyfishers
    Hunted:
    South Africa,Namibia,Botswana
    Custom 8x57 JS built on a commercial Mauser action with a Lothar Walther barrel. Walnut is from Australia.
    This is a fantastic bushveld rifle in a great caliber and has accounted for a number of animals.

0954FD9D-2B4F-4704-B56D-0AFF245634E8.jpeg

9. Lowry smith

Lowry smith New Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, new Zeland,U.S., Kyrgyzstan Spain Burkina Faso
    35 whelen

95FD1580-6FEF-4B8B-978F-8C8CD2AF8731.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2020

10. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    IMG_1235.JPG

Top to bottom, 7x57, .375 H&H and .458 Lott, all on M70 CRF actions. Wood by LeRoy Barry (Canyon Creek), metal on the .375 and Lott by Gary Junk (Fairbanks). Metal on the 7x57 by LeRoy Barry. Engraving on the 7x57 by William Victor Wild (Rigby and H&H).

11. Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    Mine aren't as nice or fancy as the ones shown already. They are every day work horses. The reason for having them built is because nothing else just because.
    20200201_135545.jpg My 35 Whelen built on a Stevens 200/savage 110 action, MAB 25 inch stainless barrel 1in 12 twist and rifle basix trigger topped with a Zeiss scope. Three quarter inch groups at 100 yards. Best grouping 5 shooters 2 shots each, 5 different projectiles 10 shots into 1.2 inches at 100 yardsBuilt to take to Namibia for plains game. It worked well.
    20200131_113934.jpg
    My M17 35 Whelen AI, pepper laminate stock, Timney trigger and 25 inch Douglas competition barrel. Floor plate altered to get rid of the guppy belly. Custom scope mount and action profiles and lightened to Remington 30s profile.
    My P14 in my own cartridge design 25/303 Epps Newton improved, walnut Boyds stock and Timney trigger and 24 inch Llijla match grade stainless barrel
    Triggers on both rifles are set at 2 pounds. Both extremely accurate the 35 less than an inch at 100yards. The 25 0.4 inch 100 yard groups.
    20200201_135424.jpg My original 1885 Winchester lowall flat spring built in 1891, original half round half octagonal barrel sleeved to 22K Hornet, custom mount, Meopta scope and Luxus exhibition grade walnut.

12. Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    Lowry Smith
    Beautiful looking Whelen, what loads are you using and what did you take the giraffe with. Love the Whelan.

CBH Australia likes this.

13. Lowry smith

Lowry smith New Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, new Zeland,U.S., Kyrgyzstan Spain Burkina Faso
    Yes on the giraffe I used Nosler ammo 225 accubond
    My wife used it on buffalo in Australia with 250 a frame with good results

14. Bob Nelson 35Whelen

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Africa
    What loads are you using in you Whelen.
    I get a chronoed 2,850 with the 225grain accubonds and 2,700 with 250 grainers
    Bob

15. Major Khan

Major Khan AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    FB_IMG_1575727193927.jpg FB_IMG_1575727191567.jpg FB_IMG_1575727188171.jpg FB_IMG_1575727196911.jpg FB_IMG_1575727185272.jpg

I have always believed that my old Belgian shot gun is a custom piece . I purchased it 2nd hand from an English tea plantation owner ... Who was permanently moving back to Great Britain , from India in 1959 . The gentle man was selling off most of his possessions before returning to Great Britain ... And I purchased this shot gun for a mere 50 Rupees .

My reason for believing that it was custom made ... Is that it possesses 3 inch chambers , as opposed to .275 inch chambers ( Which were the standard on ALL off the shelf Belgian shot guns , back in those days ) . It was also fortunately built to with stand extremely heavy loads ... Which is also extremely rare among most Belgian Guild Guns .

Badboymelvin, Mekaniks, Saul and 3 others like this.

16. Clodo Ferreira

Clodo Ferreira AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hello,

Here is mine. An Argentine 1935 Mauser-Werke action. Originally from one of the Sporting Mauser Rifles made by our military ordenance factory, Fabricaciones Militares, who made this Sporting rifles from the mid sixties to the early ninties. Not more than 6 or 7 thousand rifles, about 75% in 7,65x53 and 25% in .308 W. They used, mainly but not exclusively, tbe small lot of the 1935 7,65x53 Short Rifles contract with the, then, Mauser-Werke. Fabricaciones Militares used the military stock, barrel and sights, "sporterizing" the stock in a very reasonable way, making a very good blueing and forging the bolt handle yo use a scope. They offered the rifle without scope and with a scope mounted at the factory. FFMM selected a made in Japan Light Optical Works 4x33 scope with a german Nr 1 reticle. A very smart choice! Put on a Weaver top pivot mount that worked very well!
    I tell this story because in 2002 I found one of these rifles in a gun Shop for a ridiculous price. But this sample had the most beautiful walnut stock of military origin, perfectly quarter sawn! It had the original 7,65x53 barrel but I want it in 7x57. Bought the rifle. I had a pristine unused military 7x57 barrel made by SIG, Switzerland, as a replacement barrel for the Chilean Mausers. Also has a set of AKAH iron sights. So, gave them to my young and EXTREMELY TALENTED gunsmith (who works in metal and wood as well), to put all toghether. This was, is, the result. I couldn't be more pleased with the result. Ten years later I took my best Red Deer with the rifle.

Depto-012.jpg Depto-013.jpg P4030496.jpg P4030503.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2020

17. Tanks

Tanks AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Last edited: May 27, 2020

18. Hunting Hitman

Hunting Hitman AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    IMG_0974.JPG
    My matched pair of AHR hunting rifles in 375 H&H and 505 Gibbs.

Mekaniks, ufg8r93, Bonk and 6 others like this.

19. Red Leg

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    That is without question the most amazing repurposed military stock that I have ever seen. Were it not for the recess below the bolt, I wouldn't believe it. Congratulations on a unique and lovely rifle.

ufg8r93 and Bob Nelson 35Whelen like this.

20. michael458

michael458 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    500 B&M Winchester M70 18 inch barrel Accurate Innovations Myrtle Stock

[​IMG]

50 B&M Winchester M70 18 Inch Barrel Accurate Innovations Bastogne Stock

[​IMG]

500 MDM Winchester M70 20 inch Barrel Accurate Innovations English Stock

[​IMG]

458 B&M Winchester M70 18 Inch Barrel Accurate Innovations Bastogne

[​IMG]

500 MDM Winchester M70 18 inch Barrel Accurate Innovations Myrtle Stock