Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
There was some discussion about avatars and I got to wondering how some of you chose yours; is there a story behind the avatar and user name?

My avatar is a picture my son took when we were moose hunting north of Thunder Bay in Canada. For me, it is a great representation of being outdoors and hunting. It is also special because my son took it and it reminds me of that trip.

I had a hard time thinking of a user name. I just decided to use my name because I will stand behind my opinions.

Is anyone else interested in telling the story behind their identity?

Well, my avatar is my company logo. The user name is my nickname. My last name is Grimland which is pronounced like the animals from the movie Gremlins. I'm short and furry so the name gizmo stuck.

Well, my avatar is my company logo. The user name is my nickname. My last name is Grimland which is pronounced like the animals from the movie Gremlins. I'm short and furry so the name gizmo stuck.
I like it Gizmo.
Witold

My avatar is the start of my 'trophy room' - with the gracious allowance of Ann to put the animals in our great room. My id is related to Thiel Stereo Speakers. I saved up and finally got those in the late '90s. Now I am into my next addiction - hunting around the world. :Finger:

My logo came with my registration......I just figured everyone got a different logo, and this was mine!:LOL::ROFLMAO: Seriously, I didn't have any African hunting experience, and most of my pics would look ridiculously small on an avatar, so I haven't bothered, to date.
My screen name? Came from a bird hunt a long, LONG time ago.....we were hunting chukar partridge on a preserve, and I was hunting with two other fellows. They both had 12 gauges, and I had a 16. My spaniel flushed a bird as we were heading in at the end of the day, and they both emptied their guns without scratching a feather; I then said something like "Let me show you how it's done" (or something similar, I can't remember specifically) and pulled up and shot(the bird was a good ways out by now).......and the bird fell down dead to a lucky pellet that hit it in the back of the head. I said nothing, just reloaded and looked at both of them, both of which had a look of disbelief on their faces. One of them said "All right, Mr. 16 gauge." We sent the dog to retrieve, and paced off the distance and estimated it to be 60-65 yards (I'm sure momentum carried that bird a good distance from where it was actually hit...it looked a lot farther than it probably actually was).
Anyway, the next day at work the story was retold several times, and each time I was refered to as "Mr. 16 gauge over there" or "Did you hear what Mr. 16 gauge did yesterday", etc. So, when we got on the net and I needed a screen name, it just seemed a natural one to use (but I do like hunting with a 16 gauge shotgun).(y)

my user name is my knickname ,has been since I was knee high too a duck .
pretty much every red headed kid in oz is bluey , I know atleast 6 blokes in my town with the same .....
and my avata , is the best photo I ever took , last year in SA

I too used the default avatar until I went to Africa ... I picked this photo because the kudu horns were highlighted against the blue sky and thus more visible in the avatar. my name is easier to remember than a screen name.

Next to the Santana Abraxas Album cover Osibisa's Album cover is my favorite and more in tune with this Website, plus who doesn't like flying Elephants

My username is a combination of my first and last name so not real creative on my part.

My avatar is me with my hartebeest on first hunt in Africa. I think I'll change it at some point to one of my others from that hunt. After joining this site I was really looking forward to the day where I could post a picture of myself with a trophy from Africa!

My avatar is of my oldest son and myself after a successful Florida gator hunt in which he brain shot the gator from a boat while the gator was swimming at 75 yards. It was a hell of a shot and I was really proud of him. There were three other grown men in the boat and they were surprised at my sons marksmanship and control of his excitement. The complements I recieved about my boy meant a lot to me.
My screen name comes from a friend that was instrumental in my love of hunting and the outdoors. I was 12 or 13 and shot a bull elk with a high shoulder shot putting him instantly on the ground. Dave slapped me on the back and said have to start calling that 338 old bull thrower.lol. I still believe whole heartedly in the effectiveness of the 338 and have threw many Bulls with that caliber since then.
Cheers,
Cody

Next to the Santana Abraxas Album cover Osibisa's Album cover is my favorite and more in tune with this Website, plus who doesn't like flying Elephants
Abraxas is one of my favorite albums of all time! Black Magic Woman is a very appropriate song for an African web site!

Mine is basically my first name. When I first got on the Internet and was setting up an email account for the first time I wanted it to be royal@aol.com. well that wasn't available so I tried royal1@aol.com. that wasn't available either. So after several more "not available" tries I typed in royal27@aol.com out of frustration and it worked. I've long since changed email addresses, but have used Royal27 as an online forum user name ever since.

The avatar is my buffalo from Zimbabwe and will always be my favorite African trophy as I was around 6 years old when I started dreaming of him.

My avatar represents my most prized trophy, Nyati is buffalo in several african languages.

User name - My nickname since my youth and a derivative of my surname. Most of the regulars here know me. On an open forum, I value my privacy just enough to make trolls work a little bit. :rolleyes:

Avatar - Topi, the first animal I shot that was bigger than myself. Not sure if you can see it in the photo, but boy was I proud! How I love the 220 Swift.:)

My Avatar is now a picture of an absolute monarch of a Bull that was poached last year in Kenya.
Poison arrows into his flank and his Ivory poached.
They figured he was shot one year ago today.

username is from a railway siding I played at when I was young.

I will often change my avatar from one hunt to the next, the current one is from a hunt with KMG in the EC last year. adgunner, well I am an Artillery Officer by trade and we are nicknamed gunners. The AD comes from my first assignment in Germany where I was assigned to an Air Defence Battery.

This is my best buffalo. He was taken in the Caprivi four years ago. The handle is an Army thing. My basic branch was Field Artillery. Scarlet (or red) became associated with the artillery in the 18th and 19th centuries. The 19th century British, French, and American artillery uniforms had red piping down the seam of the trousers. Hence, the soubriquet "Red Leg" sprang from that in referring to a gunner or artilleryman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross