Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
It’s been hard up high, right up the entire Rockies. Bloody sad to see.

WOW! I hate to see that! I love Wyoming, and their antelope & mule deer!

Very sad. Hopefully they will have "normal" or mild winters in the future to help the recovery.

Very tough to see.

I knew it was going to be really bad after seeing the pictures from the big storm back in February, but those estimates seem even worse then I was thinking.
I guess I am just going to keep getting points then for the next few years.

I'm wondering if parts of Colorado are suffering the same issue. Haven't seen any reports yet, but a lot of our mountains are over 150% of snow pack.

It's really, really bad!
I'm not even excited to hunt Wyoming this year, it's going to take 10 years to recover and that's if we don't get another killer winter between now and then. On top of winter kill we already had a 65% rate of CWD in the deer in my local area which has had record low deer numbers before this winter hit.

I'm afraid to say Colorado and Utah are in the same boat, all three states will be making drastic measures in cutting tags and seasons.

It's really, really bad!
I'm not even excited to hunt Wyoming this year, it's going to take 10 years to recover and that's if we don't get another killer winter between now and then. On top of winter kill we already had a 65% rate of CWD in the deer in my local area which has had record low deer numbers before this winter hit.

I'm afraid to say Colorado and Utah are in the same boat, all three states will be making drastic measures in cutting tags and seasons.
Need a Berlin type airlift to airdrop some feed. What a tragedy. That really hurts.

I’ve posted on this in Utah a couple times-rough winter for everything except skiing.
05F108EC-5903-4A42-AB27-5BFFD542BF26.jpeg
8B7E153F-92FA-46A6-999C-A7428D721AB7.jpeg

I contacted my guide friend in Wyoming and he said the worse damage is south central and southwest. North of that things are worse then normal but not 40-50%

I'm wondering if parts of Colorado are suffering the same issue. Haven't seen any reports yet, but a lot of our mountains are over 150% of snow pack.
Where the snowpack is isn't where the animals are wintering. But northwest Colorado and the Gunnison Basen got hit hard

Here in NE WY we have had more snow and cold than what is normal. Most of WY is over 130% of normal snowpack. I know we're losing some animals but not as many as other parts of the state.
Bruce

Where the snowpack is isn't where the animals are wintering. But northwest Colorado and the Gunnison Basen got hit hard
Yes, our winter range lands along the Front Range Mountains and foothills in Colorado are open with only occasional snow that comes and goes. Northwest Colorado and Utah are worse off.

The Gunnison Basin was hammered in 2002. First, and only, year I had to take advantage of that quarter charged with our license for Search and Rescue. The impact that year was almost 75% mortality on the deer and elk populations in the Basin. It was just getting back to normal in the last couple years. Not looking forward to what it might look like this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg