Wyoming Winter Kill

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
16,032
Reaction score
86,224
Location
Texas
Media
409
Articles
7
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
5
Mex/S.Amer
3
Europe
8
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
It’s been hard up high, right up the entire Rockies. Bloody sad to see.
 
WOW! I hate to see that! I love Wyoming, and their antelope & mule deer!
 
Very sad. Hopefully they will have "normal" or mild winters in the future to help the recovery.
 
Very tough to see.
 
I knew it was going to be really bad after seeing the pictures from the big storm back in February, but those estimates seem even worse then I was thinking.
I guess I am just going to keep getting points then for the next few years.
 
I'm wondering if parts of Colorado are suffering the same issue. Haven't seen any reports yet, but a lot of our mountains are over 150% of snow pack.
 
It's really, really bad!
I'm not even excited to hunt Wyoming this year, it's going to take 10 years to recover and that's if we don't get another killer winter between now and then. On top of winter kill we already had a 65% rate of CWD in the deer in my local area which has had record low deer numbers before this winter hit.

I'm afraid to say Colorado and Utah are in the same boat, all three states will be making drastic measures in cutting tags and seasons.
 
It's really, really bad!
I'm not even excited to hunt Wyoming this year, it's going to take 10 years to recover and that's if we don't get another killer winter between now and then. On top of winter kill we already had a 65% rate of CWD in the deer in my local area which has had record low deer numbers before this winter hit.

I'm afraid to say Colorado and Utah are in the same boat, all three states will be making drastic measures in cutting tags and seasons.
Need a Berlin type airlift to airdrop some feed. What a tragedy. That really hurts.
 
I’ve posted on this in Utah a couple times-rough winter for everything except skiing.
05F108EC-5903-4A42-AB27-5BFFD542BF26.jpeg
8B7E153F-92FA-46A6-999C-A7428D721AB7.jpeg
 
I contacted my guide friend in Wyoming and he said the worse damage is south central and southwest. North of that things are worse then normal but not 40-50%
 
I'm wondering if parts of Colorado are suffering the same issue. Haven't seen any reports yet, but a lot of our mountains are over 150% of snow pack.
Where the snowpack is isn't where the animals are wintering. But northwest Colorado and the Gunnison Basen got hit hard
 
Here in NE WY we have had more snow and cold than what is normal. Most of WY is over 130% of normal snowpack. I know we're losing some animals but not as many as other parts of the state.
Bruce
 
Where the snowpack is isn't where the animals are wintering. But northwest Colorado and the Gunnison Basen got hit hard
Yes, our winter range lands along the Front Range Mountains and foothills in Colorado are open with only occasional snow that comes and goes. Northwest Colorado and Utah are worse off.
 
Where the snowpack is isn't where the animals are wintering. But northwest Colorado and the Gunnison Basen got hit hard
The Gunnison Basin was hammered in 2002. First, and only, year I had to take advantage of that quarter charged with our license for Search and Rescue. The impact that year was almost 75% mortality on the deer and elk populations in the Basin. It was just getting back to normal in the last couple years. Not looking forward to what it might look like this season.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,303
Messages
1,572,210
Members
169,509
Latest member
MonikaEdge
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top