Wyoming Team Makes Long-Range Rifle Shot Record, Hits 4.4 Mile Target

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
https://valiantnews.com/2022/09/wyo...range-rifle-shot-record-hits-4-4-mile-target/

The world record for the longest rifle shot was broken by a Wyoming team of shooters who managed to hit a target 4.4 miles away in on the state’s arid plains.

Breaking the previous record of only 4 miles, and the Wyoming state record of 3.06 miles, local media outlet KSLTV explains that the shot required years of planning from two expert shooters and their team.

Two Wyoming firearms trainers, Scott Austin and Shepard Humphries, began gathering parts and assembling their team in 2020, after the duo broke set the previous Wyoming state record.

Screenshot_34.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For the technical minded I doubt that a bullet will still be able to fly straight at 7.3km I mean what was the speed load and bullet that was used. The bullet will still need enough spin to keep straight and not tumble.

Long ago someone tried to achieve 5000fps with a bullet and that didn't work I think there is just a limit to what can be done with current available tools.

I might be wrong and they went and used a 60" barrel got 3200fps with a 338 Lapua in 300gr but hell 7.3 clicks its almost sheer luck. I call this one BS and if not and I'm wrong great you just need to look at the people shooting 2 miles and that is a feat on its self.

I still think Billy Dickson did it best.

For the technical minded I doubt that a bullet will still be able to fly straight at 7.3km I mean what was the speed load and bullet that was used. The bullet will still need enough spin to keep straight and not tumble.

Long ago someone tried to achieve 5000fps with a bullet and that didn't work I think there is just a limit to what can be done with current available tools.

I might be wrong and they went and used a 60" barrel got 3200fps with a 338 Lapua in 300gr but hell 7.3 clicks its almost sheer luck. I call this one BS and if not and I'm wrong great you just need to look at the people shooting 2 miles and that is a feat on its self.
Not practical, 22-284 has been clocked well over 5000fps.

This is an extreme, for me 69 rounds to hit a target is not something that gets me super excited. 1 of 5 then I think we can get more excited. The facts are if people are not pushing the limits, we don't get innovations. We have came a long ways in the long range game. It is due to people like this pushing the envelope. So as far out as it seems, good things come from exercises such as this.

stunt, plain and simple. no value in the hunting world i can see.

This is how we learn and develop technologies. More likely to result in military applications.

Both arguments here are right.

This is nothing but a stunt, but with some practical purpose (potential advancement of technology).

I’ve never done this type of shooting, so my thoughts are pretty irrelevant. Congrats to those guys for setting the record. I tend to think there should be a max round count in a day or something along those lines for it to count. To me 3 or 5 rounds seems reasonable. I’m sure it would drastically change the competition, but it doesn’t seem reasonable to say it took 50+ rounds to hit a target one time.

Apples and oranges, but how far away could a .50 cal machine gun with tracers hit a target if the operator “walks in” the rounds as he’s firing?

in what army will you find a soldier who would stand around for you to fire 60 odd shells at him? wind- mirage-drop will make it a nightmare for the shooter.
Because people push the envelope snipers have confirmed kills at over 2 miles. You have to push the limits in order to make the impossible, possible. Just because you can't see the value in it does not mean value does not exist.

Everyone gets lucky sometimes, trying to hit the side of a bus. Want to really impress, drop the rifle on the ground and make the shot.
I thought the motto was “one shot, one kill”!

These guys can shoot....

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 20.20.55.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois