Wyoming Team Makes Long-Range Rifle Shot Record, Hits 4.4 Mile Target

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
https://valiantnews.com/2022/09/wyo...range-rifle-shot-record-hits-4-4-mile-target/

The world record for the longest rifle shot was broken by a Wyoming team of shooters who managed to hit a target 4.4 miles away in on the state’s arid plains.

Breaking the previous record of only 4 miles, and the Wyoming state record of 3.06 miles, local media outlet KSLTV explains that the shot required years of planning from two expert shooters and their team.

Two Wyoming firearms trainers, Scott Austin and Shepard Humphries, began gathering parts and assembling their team in 2020, after the duo broke set the previous Wyoming state record.

Screenshot_34.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Frederik

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA - Big Bore Association of South Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
For the technical minded I doubt that a bullet will still be able to fly straight at 7.3km I mean what was the speed load and bullet that was used. The bullet will still need enough spin to keep straight and not tumble.

Long ago someone tried to achieve 5000fps with a bullet and that didn't work I think there is just a limit to what can be done with current available tools.

I might be wrong and they went and used a 60" barrel got 3200fps with a 338 Lapua in 300gr but hell 7.3 clicks its almost sheer luck. I call this one BS and if not and I'm wrong great you just need to look at the people shooting 2 miles and that is a feat on its self.

jeanes

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
TSRA Life Member, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Colorado, South Dakota
I still think Billy Dickson did it best.

Inline6

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
For the technical minded I doubt that a bullet will still be able to fly straight at 7.3km I mean what was the speed load and bullet that was used. The bullet will still need enough spin to keep straight and not tumble.

Long ago someone tried to achieve 5000fps with a bullet and that didn't work I think there is just a limit to what can be done with current available tools.

I might be wrong and they went and used a 60" barrel got 3200fps with a 338 Lapua in 300gr but hell 7.3 clicks its almost sheer luck. I call this one BS and if not and I'm wrong great you just need to look at the people shooting 2 miles and that is a feat on its self.
Not practical, 22-284 has been clocked well over 5000fps.

This is an extreme, for me 69 rounds to hit a target is not something that gets me super excited. 1 of 5 then I think we can get more excited. The facts are if people are not pushing the limits, we don't get innovations. We have came a long ways in the long range game. It is due to people like this pushing the envelope. So as far out as it seems, good things come from exercises such as this.

WAB

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
stunt, plain and simple. no value in the hunting world i can see.

This is how we learn and develop technologies. More likely to result in military applications.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Both arguments here are right.

This is nothing but a stunt, but with some practical purpose (potential advancement of technology).

TucsonFX4

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve never done this type of shooting, so my thoughts are pretty irrelevant. Congrats to those guys for setting the record. I tend to think there should be a max round count in a day or something along those lines for it to count. To me 3 or 5 rounds seems reasonable. I’m sure it would drastically change the competition, but it doesn’t seem reasonable to say it took 50+ rounds to hit a target one time.

Apples and oranges, but how far away could a .50 cal machine gun with tracers hit a target if the operator “walks in” the rounds as he’s firing?

Inline6

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
in what army will you find a soldier who would stand around for you to fire 60 odd shells at him? wind- mirage-drop will make it a nightmare for the shooter.
Because people push the envelope snipers have confirmed kills at over 2 miles. You have to push the limits in order to make the impossible, possible. Just because you can't see the value in it does not mean value does not exist.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Everyone gets lucky sometimes, trying to hit the side of a bus. Want to really impress, drop the rifle on the ground and make the shot.
I thought the motto was “one shot, one kill”!

These guys can shoot....

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 20.20.55.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Victorcxq

Latest profile posts

Wayne Johnson wrote on Angelo_orygun's profile.
I already have a die.My shipping address is; and your email is for F&F, Thanks
[redacted]
timfts wrote on Esoteric Junkie's profile.
is Randall still avail.
Roberto Mervicini wrote on krish's profile.
Hello Krish, a member told me that maybe you could help. I am making a 470 Capsticklooking to buy a chamber reamer, reloading die and need some info in regard to loading a 500 grain bullet .475 hard cast gas check to start, have : IMR 4350, 4831, 3031, h1000, RETUMBO and N150.
If you could help i appreciate,
Best Regards, Thanks Roberto
Got this old guy this year in Mafikeng on the plains with a long shot at 300ms he measured just over 19.5 inch
blesbuck.jpg