Would you give up a 100 pounder if asked to?

@grand veneur: being from Europe as well I am afraid that the stark facts might be somewhat different.
TheTop Red deer will very soon be shot, unless the hunter is sure that nobody else can shoot it.
And Elefant tusks already are priced according to weight, as any given pricelist will show. Nonetheless,
the elefant not shot due to high pricing will be rare, as hunts for ele bulls are expensive enough.
So no ele hunter will be shocked by another 10.000 Euros fee on top of already 20.000 for the 100-Pounder...

And Elefant tusks already are priced according to weight, as any given pricelist will show. Nonetheless,
the elefant not shot due to high pricing will be rare, as hunts for ele bulls are expensive enough.
So no ele hunter will be shocked by another 10.000 Euros fee on top of already 20.000 for the 100-Pounder...

The pricing by weight wasn't always like that. I can remember other times. The comment was also intended for all trophies in Africa.

We shouldn't be surprised because of the attitude of many when it comes to the trophies, that we will soon get a trophy import ban.

@IvW suggestion might also be a solution, but does not answered the question of shooting or not an 100 pounder.

Last edited:
The pricing by weight wasn't always like that.I can remember other times.

We shouldn't be surprised because of the attitude of many when it comes to the trophies, that we will soon get a trophy import ban.

@IvW suggestion might also be a solution, but does not answered the question of shooting or not an 100 pounder.
Apart from the tuskless and inferior ones as a trophy hunter you should hunt the oldest you can find...if it is 80 lbs so be it if it is a100lbs so be it....
100lbs is possibly only realistic in Botswana......even 80 lbs....
Most places you will be looking at 40lbs anyway....

If a country that allows hunting of elephants had to declare all big tusked and iconic bulls (those that are often seen by the photographic safaris and often named) “royal game” and thus frown upon the shooting of these or limit the trophy to say 80 pounds. Would you as a hunter rather not hunt in that country or would you not mind? Let’s forget the argument about the bull being past it’s breeding age, that it’s teeth are worn down and it’s starving to death etc for now.
The question is would you prefer to say that you turned down a 100 pounder for the “smaller” 80 pounder in the group of bulls for the sake of keeping all interest groups happy or would you say “screw it I paid the permit I’m taking the old guy”?
I ask this in light of the fact that governments are making moves to ban import of trophies so what’s the use of shooting the old guy if the experience of hunting the smaller bull is exactly the same all this being equal?
Has the time come for us as hunters to say we would prefer to see the 100 pounders roaming the plains of Africa not withstanding that they are at risk of being poached or dying from starvation. Basically hunters would now become the guardians of the 100 pounders instead of the pursuers.

After plunking down the money, spending the time to get there, expending the effort to get into shooting position and then asked to pass? Man that’s an awfully big ask, and I don’t think I could.

If this is a serious idea, then I’d propose that the government identify these special elephants and collar them. Yes I know, there have been collared elephants that were not supposed to be shot and were. But do it anyway. Inform the outfitters/PHs they must be left alone else pay a fine much like shooting a female leopard. And finally inform the client in advance.

No surprises, no disappointment that way.

Where are elephants priced according to weight? I have seen only one outfitter that had it on their brochure, and they immediately waived it once I pointed it out.

If a country that allows hunting of elephants had to declare all big tusked and iconic bulls (those that are often seen by the photographic safaris and often named) “royal game” and thus frown upon the shooting of these or limit the trophy to say 80 pounds. Would you as a hunter rather not hunt in that country or would you not mind? ...

It depends on the cost of the hunt. Current pricing for a Botswana big bull is North of $80K to start. Part of that cost is the chance to get a real big tusker.

Reduce the cost by $20K I will do it. Otherwise, I would not hunt there.

Simple answer “No”

HH

If told I had to pass on a 100lber if we saw one, I would rather save the money and frustration and just go hunt a tuskless.

There is a GPS collared old bull at Mana pools that wonders into Nyakasanga hunting concessions and also has been seen 100km further South.

All PHs know not to hunt it, not because it is illegal, but because it is a tourist attraction adding to the experience people get at Mana pools.

As a tourist most hunters would not be impacted if it was shot. The PH however has to live there.
I expect any collared animal is off limits. Be it a pet or the subject of research or a known for attracting tourism.

The collar suggests it's owned or someone has a claim to it. Eg Wildlife Department.

If a PH put me on a collared animal without notice and good cause I would doubt it's legitimate.

If a country that allows hunting of elephants had to declare all big tusked and iconic bulls (those that are often seen by the photographic safaris and often named) “royal game” and thus frown upon the shooting of these or limit the trophy to say 80 pounds. Would you as a hunter rather not hunt in that country or would you not mind? Let’s forget the argument about the bull being past it’s breeding age, that it’s teeth are worn down and it’s starving to death etc for now.
The question is would you prefer to say that you turned down a 100 pounder for the “smaller” 80 pounder in the group of bulls for the sake of keeping all interest groups happy or would you say “screw it I paid the permit I’m taking the old guy”?
I ask this in light of the fact that governments are making moves to ban import of trophies so what’s the use of shooting the old guy if the experience of hunting the smaller bull is exactly the same all this being equal?
Has the time come for us as hunters to say we would prefer to see the 100 pounders roaming the plains of Africa not withstanding that they are at risk of being poached or dying from starvation. Basically hunters would now become the guardians of the 100 pounders instead of the pursuers.
A ridiculous scenario. Hell no. You cannot appease anti-hunters. I don't know why some people continue to think you can.

I expect any collared animal is off limits. Be it a pet or the subject of research or a known for attracting tourism.

The collar suggests it's owned or someone has a claim to it. Eg Wildlife Department.

If a PH put me on a collared animal without notice and good cause I would doubt it's legitimate.
In Zimbabwe it is legal to shoot collared animals as long as one has a permit. However, one is required to turn the collar in. Also, do not forget that you have a Parks Ranger with you and he/she has veto power and you will not get approval for illegal acts.

How many poached ele are taken to supply the underground market in China, and the Arab countries? being a one-time Afrikan hunter I was offered a battered old buff, happy to take him. The same would apply if an ele was available, regardless of size. If the PH, and attending officials say : "Yes", the I'd do my utmost to do it cleanly, and efficiently.

@grand veneur: being from Europe as well I am afraid that the stark facts might be somewhat different.
TheTop Red deer will very soon be shot, unless the hunter is sure that nobody else can shoot it.
In a word no

Good question and definitely leads one down a slippery slope, we are conversationalists and should strive to remove past prime non breading specimens. Lots of good points from both sides. My answer is yes. Here at home I still hunt moose, no big bulls allowed, many species cows/doe only seasons.

MB

I don't travel to Africa to hunt elephant, or any species for that matter, for the purpose of appeasing someone else.... especially an absolutely unappeasable crowd.

There isn't a single anti-hunter who would be ok with you shooting an 80 pound elephant because you turned down a 100 pounder.

I will probably never hunt elephant in my life. For one, I can't afford them, and two, there is something in me that likes them too much to shoot.

So, for the sake of argument, and this post. I do not care about measurements on any of the animals I have taken, or in this case the weight of the tusk. I would hunt hard and hopefully shoot a mature bull that I've chased half around the property. In my humble opinion, it's the thrill of the hunt, being in a different world hunting, meeting new people, and enjoying the opportunity that God has given me. So, in my case, the 100 pounder would walk.
I felt the same way for a long time, felt that way about lions too. I do not remember the thread or who said it. I just remember a picture of a starving male lion that was past him prime ousted out of his pride. Someone said something to the effect "what his more appropriate, him dieing by my bullet, or starving to death". I can't remember if hyenas finished him off or they were after him. Either way, I switch was flipped and I have changed my stance.

None of God's creatures makes it out alive. If my bullet can provide a swift painless death, may my bullet fly true.

That is why we are supposed to take the mature animals. I personally hate to see any animal suffer, that's why I spend a lot of time shooting. To be as proficient as I possibly can be.

As far as this scenario, if it was a necessity so be it, if it is a just because. You take the animal on the decline, mother nature is going to take him one way or the other.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.34.28 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.34.28 PM Large.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.34.30 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.34.30 PM Large.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.34.31 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.34.31 PM Large.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.34.32 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.34.32 PM Large.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.34.34 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.34.34 PM Large.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.34.35 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 7.34.35 PM Large.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 31

Problem with collars and researcher I’m told is they don’t actually remove collars once their projects are over particularly with lions. It doesn’t necessarily signify anything other than a researcher didn’t put the effort in the remove the collar at end of his project. It may also be something of a tactic to deter hunters as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg