Winter is Here

Awww Bluey, You just don't know what you're missing! There's tons of fun stuff to do when it gets cold.

#1 is taking care of Mama! :D

Pic 1 is me sledding down at the cabin.

Pic #2 is chasing the critters off the road in front of the house.

Pic #3 is the dogs taking us out for a walk.

Pic #4 is my favorite winter time hunting quarry! The elusive jackalope. Those damn things are hard to find and harder to shoot! But tastey!! :D

Pic#5 is an unwanted summer visitor to the cabin that had to leave his mark. A small black bear.

#6 is my winter cabin. It's 8 miles from the closest road and miles from anywhere.

Just remember that you can dress up to handle the cold. BUT you can only strip down so far and even then you'll be too hot.

Oh shit, I love the North American Jackalope! So hard to find! Once and a while I can buy the meat but it goes for 50 US per Kilo during the height of the week-long season but damn, it's only on special occasions that I can find someone willing to part with their quarry . I have yet to get selected for a permit. It's been almost 5 years since I've applied!! Bluey mate, if you or any of you fellas decide to come to the West in the US for a hunt be sure to inquire about a NA Jackalope permit!! Good luck!

jackalope.jpg

Jackalope32-1024x715.jpg

ya can blow that one out your ass guys .
ive alredy looked into it ,when my daughter came home from school asking about it in prep

Now bluey, is that any way to talk to your friends? You just were looking in the wrong places. You probably ended up on some of those tree hugger web sites that want to protect the jackalopes by pretending they aren't real, hoping guys like us won't look for a license.

If you doubt me, check this page from Cabela's website. You don't think that a reputable company like Cabela's would be trying mislead the public, do you?
Cabela's Mounted Jackalopes : Cabela's

If you search further on the web, you can find a lot more interesting info about jackalopes. Here is a link to a serious article by a university professor about jackalopes.
Prof. Chuck Holliday's www page at Lafayette College » Jackalopes

Those who tell you there are no jackalopes are probably the same people who claim that there is no Santa Clause or that the government can't be trusted.

20F and snowing here. Weathermen say the highs won't be above freezing for six days. Pretty cold for us this early in the season.

Our deer rifle season ends Sunday. I wimped out and called the season off yesterday and drove home. You cold weather guys will laugh but I'm happy being warm and toasty right now. For those of you hunting through this arctic blast be safe.

True story,
Several years ago I got one of these Jackalopes sent up to me from the world famous Wall Drug store in S. Dakota, so that I could hand carry it to Ukraine, (visiting my wifes friends and family). The customs folks there had a holiday trying to figure out if that was real as well and everyone else around. I gave it to a friend there who's a big time hunter and fisherman there.
After a long speech, with my wife translating, I told of the difficultity I had to get this critter. Climbing mountains, wading ice cold glacial rivers, searching in black caves ect..

He was in awe over my efforts!

Until he opened up the box.. :)

He now has it mounted over his fireplace mantle in the place of honor!

Oh shit, I love the North American Jackalope! So hard to find! Once and a while I can buy the meat but it goes for 50 US per Kilo during the height of the week-long season but damn, it's only on special occasions that I can find someone willing to part with their quarry . I have yet to get selected for a permit. It's been almost 5 years since I've applied!! Bluey mate, if you or any of you fellas decide to come to the West in the US for a hunt be sure to inquire about a NA Jackalope permit!! Good luck!

View attachment 24075

View attachment 24076

That Jackalope in the first photo is a toad! Must be one of those raised on a Jackalope preserve they have in Nevada

That Jackalope in the first photo is a toad! Must be one of those raised on a Jackalope preserve they have in Nevada

Definitely from a high fence operation.

Man is it Cold in Minnesota

A nice hot plate of grilled jackalope could fix that.
with Garlic Mash Potatoes and Candied Yams and a Glass of triple Malt and a Cuban for dessert,,Life is Good

with Garlic Mash Potatoes and Candied Yams and a Glass of triple Malt and a Cuban for dessert,,Life is Good

:thumb:

Here Rob lets see if we can make you feel warmer, just for you Garlic Mash Potatoes and Candied Yams and a Glass of triple Malt and a Cuban for dessert!
Garlic mashed potatoes.jpg
candied Yams.jpg
Triple Malt.jpg
Cuban.jpg

Gotta love the spuds

Attachments

• saskatoon.jpg
    saskatoon.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 136
You guys no whats Good,,

-21 when I got up this AM. Forecast is for -19 tonight. Putting the ice down. If I can get away next week I may try to go ice fishing. Early season ice can be good fishing. Bruce

-21 when I got up this AM. Forecast is for -19 tonight. Putting the ice down. If I can get away next week I may try to go ice fishing. Early season ice can be good fishing. Bruce

ICE FISHING
another thing in America I cant fathom
if the lake you are ice fishing is say 50 feet deep , how thick will the ice be?
and the fish that are under it are they , right where the ice stopps ,mid water or on the bottom ?
how cold is the fish ,that's obvisously swimming and feeding ?
and do you use bait or lures ?
my Canadian friend keeps telling me to come on over check it out ,but she doesn't fill in the gaps

ICE FISHING
another thing in America I cant fathom
if the lake you are ice fishing is say 50 feet deep , how thick will the ice be?
and the fish that are under it are they , right where the ice stopps ,mid water or on the bottom ?
how cold is the fish ,that's obvisously swimming and feeding ?
and do you use bait or lures ?
my Canadian friend keeps telling me to come on over check it out ,but she doesn't fill in the gaps

The depth of the lake really doesn't seem to have much effect on how thick the ice is from my time involved in this activity. It's how cold the weather is that will affect the ice thickness. Warm springs coming in from the bottom however can affect the ice thickness, the deeper those are the less of a problem.

The fish are generally not that hungry as they are in the warmer months but they still need to eat. Where they hang out, well you just never know. Bait and/or jigs are what we used for trout. Those fish were real cold and the water was really clear, this made for some fantastic eating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois