Winchester M70 vs Ruger RSM/M77 in .375

For me personally it’s a Model 70 in 375. I’ve got several (all pre-64’s). I’ve handled and played with the RSM’s and to echo previous comments think it’s on the heavier side. If i was looking at a 458 caliber I think Id take the RSM over the M70. The stout robustness of that gun in the 458’s seems to fit and feel a little better than the M70’s in 458. I’ve shot the M70’s but will admit I haven’t shot an RSM in one.

To add something else, I preferred the feel of the BRNO in 375 to the RSM. It just seemed to handle a bit better to me, albeit I didn’t shoot it before selling it.

I've only handled one or two RSMs. I found it to be a fine rifle, even if a bit heavy. Their popularity shows in the prices you pay for a used one. I'll say nothing bad about them.

I do own a M70 Safari Express in .375HH. That rifle has now killed a bunch of African animals. It's a little chubby in the stock and also maybe a bit on the heavy side. However that rifle has never and will hopefully never darken the doorway of a gunsmith's shop. It's very accurate and it just feels right in my hands. I will never sell it.

It should end up in the hands of one of my sons......that is if I decided not to be buried with it.

I’ve never seen an m70 which wasn’t sub moa capable.

I’ve got a couple 375’s, you will like the M70 Alaskan. The Ruger is heavy for caliber but a beautiful rifle and I’d never part with mine, but I wouldn’t pack it across the world either. The 416RSM on the other hand is wonderful and I have packed it over there. Now to the meat and gravy Boys, it has been proven that Blonds just wanna have fun! There isn’t a song about brunettes wanting to have fun, case closed!:D Beers:

I don’t mean to derail the thread but how does the Ruger M77 African in 375R compare to the M70 and M77 RSM using the same metrics; proportions, weight, sight usability etc?
I have two 375 ruger rugers. The safari model and the Alaskan. I think the shorter barrel makes both a better bush gun than either of the other two mentioned.

375 ruger is just a better cartridge than the HandH. That said. It’s harder to find components and ammo without a doubt. I ended up buying a bunch of Hornady and unloading them to make the ammo I wanted.

I have a Winchester model 70 CRF 30/06. It’s a good gun, but I think the ruger is better made with better fit and finish. Sometimes we forget Winchester made push feed for twenty years and now make their guns in Portugal

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I’ve wanted to start a thread on here comparing the CZ550, Win Mod 70 and RSM.

Every Brno or CZ Made after the Mod 21/22, ZG47 or possibly the first straight stock ZKK’s (601,600 and 602) I’ve found to be cumbersome, and lacking in good quality control. Rough actions, sometimes dovetails not true to the barrel in terms of the action and barrel lining up 180 degrees. And that stupid hogsback stock on the later CZs.

If I were to purchase a budget .375 H&H now it would be:
1. Mod 70
2. RSM
3. Old Brno without Monte Carlo stock and integral Peep.
4. CZ reluctantly and modify to my liking.

If I had to buy a budget .416 Rigby or .458 Lott or even a .404 now:
1. RSM
2. Mod 70, obviously re-chambered
3. Old Brno without Monte Carlo stock and integral Peep.
4. CZ reluctantly and modify to my liking.

I’m keeping this to budget and leaving the Heyms, Dakotas, Rigbys, etc out specifically.

I have two 375 ruger rugers. The safari model and the Alaskan. I think the shorter barrel makes both a better bush gun than either of the other two mentioned.

375 ruger is just a better cartridge than the HandH. That said. It’s harder to find components and ammo without a doubt. I ended up buying a bunch of Hornady and unloading them to make the ammo I wanted.

I have a Winchester model 70 CRF 30/06. It’s a good gun, but I think the ruger is better made with better fit and finish. Sometimes we forget Winchester made push feed for twenty years and now make their guns in Portugal
We have kind of the opposite pairing. I've got the Model 70 Safari in 375 H&H and the Ruger Guide in 30-06.

I agree about the efficiency of the .375 Ruger and the respect the advantages of a more compact gun. But it wasn't for me. I had one for a year (Guide Gun) and shot it a lot, but found the feeding to be a bit rough, at least in comparison to the same rifle in 30-06. That probably could have been improved with some smithing but I decided to sell it and go with the Winchester.

Both of these rifles, in the cartridges I have them in, are admittedly heavier than necessary. But they fit me well and just feel right.

Maybe the Ruger lovers are in a different time zone but the consensus seems pretty much for the M70. Why are RSMs commmanding such a premium compared to a similar M70 in .375?
I suspect scarcity would have a lot to do with it, with Ruger no longer making rifles in .375 H&H.

We have kind of the opposite pairing. I've got the Model 70 Safari in 375 H&H and the Ruger Guide in 30-06.

I agree about the efficiency of the .375 Ruger and the respect the advantages of a more compact gun. But it wasn't for me. I had one for a year (Guide Gun) and shot it a lot, but found the feeding to be a bit rough, at least in comparison to the same rifle in 30-06. That probably could have been improved with some smithing but I decided to sell it and go with the Winchester.

Both of these rifles, in the cartridges I have them in, are admittedly heavier than necessary. But they fit me well and just feel right.
Thanks for your input.

It’s so funny, but my M70 has tough feeding while the two rugers are smooth. I think different ammo and individual small differences in guns can make all the difference.

I have massive respect for the H&H. There are so many more options in guns also. I do have a 375 ruger barrel at 20.5” being made for my r8, so there are options. But they are more expensive and time consuming.

I have the 416 ruger guide gun. It just fits me perfect. I agree it’s heavy but I’m 6’5 and 220 so I actually like that. If I was smaller it would be a heavy pill to tote around.

I don’t mean to derail the thread but how does the Ruger M77 African in 375R compare to the M70 and M77 RSM using the same metrics; proportions, weight, sight usability etc?
The Ruger M77 Hawkeye African is a much lighter more svelte gun than the RSM. Not really comparable as the RSM is a true Magnum Action. The 375 Ruger was developed to fit in a standard 30-06/300 Win Mag sized action so it is inherently slimmer. The Guide Gun version of the M77 Hawkeye is stout with its heavy laminated stock but handles very nicely with its 20" barrel. It's just so damned ugly;)

I believe the Ruger RSM was developed as a 416 Rigby then made to work with 375 H&H and 458 Lott.

The Winchester M70 is only a half pound or so lighter in 416 Rem Mag than 375 H&H but it really is a great rifle in 416, bit heavy but very easy to shoot in 375 H&H and I believe a bit morecbalanced than than the RSM.

Between the RSM and M70 ( Safari Express) in 375 H&H they are both heavy barreled. I think k it just comes down to preference.

I like them both, but I'd rather have a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H, than about any other production rifle from the U.S. I think my custom '98 Czech Mauser in 7mm Remington Magnum , is all the rifle I will need in the lower 48 states. Most depends on your own preference, shoot what you can and go from there. Have fun deciding.

I've had a Safari Express for a number of years and hunted with it quite a bit. I never weighed it but it was a heavy rifle, too heavy for a .375 H&H, in my opinion. It did function flawlessly and shot straight, though.

My current .375 H&H is an RSM, one of the last ones made in 2009. It is very nicely finished (better than the Winchester was), has nice wood, and not at all too heavy. The barrel profile is just fine and I shoot it very well. It is fitted with a Leupold VX-3 1,5-5x20 that came off the aforementioned Winchester .375 H&H.

If I had to choose between the two without thinking of the monetary value of each rifle, I would take the RSM any day. Second choice would be a Model 70 .375 H&H. I had a 602 in .375 H&H but I sold that after a few years. Even with a custom stock and shortened barrel, it still felt like a railway sleeper. The 550's leave me cold, unfortunately. Not my kind of rifle.

Here is my Ruger Scout .308 on an M77 action
Even with the heavy laminated stock it’s 7 pounds.
IMG_1696.jpeg

What you indicate on the RSM is kind of my feelings on my 700. The barrel feels like they got a deal on M1 Ambrahms tank barrel blanks. If I am shooting from sticks or resting it, it is a dream. But it is SOOO barrel heavy.
Thanks for your input. I am looking at doing a trade with a forum member for a NIB Alaskan.
I find the M700 to be the other way round. Light, handy and quick to with felt recoil more akin to my 35 Whelen. Mind you the cheap synthetic stock helps soak up the recoil. Felt recoil is less then the CZ550 in 3756H&H I had and it was 2 lb heavier.

I have not handled a Ruger 77 in 375 but if it like the cz550 it would be, in my opinion too heavy unless you miss and need to belt the buffalo over the head with it :LOL:

I love my Ruger 375R Alaskan. Accurate, powerful enough for what I need!
Heavy? Yes it is. Balances well with an extra 1 1/2 pad. I'm 6'3" and need the longer LOP....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieAlo

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double