Wilbur Smith

I have read all of his books, as literature I don´t think much of him, his characters are just unreal, and most stories unbelievable.

Having said that, I do enjoy his knowledge of Africa, history, culture...
 
His books are not literature by any measure, they are adventure, potboiler novels about Africa.
 
Smith is partially responsible for me booking with John Sharp.

When I read how much experience Smith had hunting Africa, and that he was quoted as saying that he had gotten to the point where he wouldn't hunt with anyone who's name wasn't John Sharp - I figured I better check out this guy Sharp!
 
I had no idea Smith ever did any hunting!
 
He started out as a young lad hunting his father's 25,000 acre cattle ranch in Rhodesia.

(y)

Northern Rhodesia. Current day Zambia.;)
 
Interesting! I have read numerous (exciting) books by Wilbur Smith
 
He is the best at making historical fiction interesting and exciting!
 
I was just wondering, if there ever was a movie made based on Wilbur Smiths books?
 
I was just wondering, if there ever was a movie made based on Wilbur Smiths books?

Here is a list.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0810335/

Shout at the Devil is Smith's adaptation of the story of P.J. Pretorius. Read Pretorius' book Jungle Man instead. Pretorius was an ivory hunter who was responsible for the sinking of the German cruiser Konigsberg in the Rufuji Delta of Deutschostafrika.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/jungl...torius/2069842/#isbn=157090054X&idiq=26724771
 
Capstick also had a chapter on Pretorius in "Death in the Silent Places".

Amazing fellow, Pretorius.
 
Smith is partially responsible for me booking with John Sharp.

When I read how much experience Smith had hunting Africa, and that he was quoted as saying that he had gotten to the point where he wouldn't hunt with anyone who's name wasn't John Sharp - I figured I better check out this guy Sharp!

I always wanted to hunt with mr Sharp for the same reason!
 
Many years ago Wilbur Smith referred me to John Sharp.

Personally? If so, you lucky guy ;)
Mr Smith introduced me to Africa and a passion that still lives with me to this day! Even have an "adopted" South African family that I visit. It was one of those visits I eventually became a hunter. So I have many things to thank him for :)

I actually got a signed message and book for me and my son, arranged my his wife Niso. One of my most treasured possesions :)
 
Personally? If so, you lucky guy ;)
Yep, personally. During the Apartheid years I had supplied him with Swift A-frame bullets. Won't explain here how... ;) Also got some of his books with dedications.
 
Nice :) Seems like you got some good advice. He`s for sure an avid hunter and have been for many years. He speaks very good for hunting in his memoirs.

Now he actually fishes in Norway every year:)
 
Courtney series is great entertainment reading
Wilbur Smith Has the reputation of being historically accurate.

Oh I just reread “Sibanda” by Tim Farren. Great fictional read and Tim is on AH.com with us.
Actual journal writings, probably my favorite is “The Man-Eaters of Tsavo”
by JohnHenry Patterson.
 
I was just wondering, if there ever was a movie made based on Wilbur Smiths books?

G'day Mark-Hunter

I am new to this sight, hence the late reply.

Shout at the devil is a classic move, but one of the most famous movies which was based on his book is 'Dark of the Sun' (Aka - The Mercenaries), link noted below :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_of_the_Sun



Starring Rod Taylor (an Aussie Actor) based on the Congo War

Regards

Rob
 
Love Wilbur Smith. Was told years ago you haven’t read African literature until you read Smith. I now have almost all of his books, but I keep going back and reading the Courtney and Ballyntine series. I love the historical African facts spread throughout his tale weaving. I have one of his books on my night stand now.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,232
Members
169,510
Latest member
SelenaWick
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top