Wilbur Smith

I have read all of his books, as literature I don´t think much of him, his characters are just unreal, and most stories unbelievable.

Having said that, I do enjoy his knowledge of Africa, history, culture...

His books are not literature by any measure, they are adventure, potboiler novels about Africa.

Smith is partially responsible for me booking with John Sharp.

When I read how much experience Smith had hunting Africa, and that he was quoted as saying that he had gotten to the point where he wouldn't hunt with anyone who's name wasn't John Sharp - I figured I better check out this guy Sharp!

I had no idea Smith ever did any hunting!

He started out as a young lad hunting his father's 25,000 acre cattle ranch in Rhodesia.

(y)

Northern Rhodesia. Current day Zambia.;)

Interesting! I have read numerous (exciting) books by Wilbur Smith

He is the best at making historical fiction interesting and exciting!

I was just wondering, if there ever was a movie made based on Wilbur Smiths books?

I was just wondering, if there ever was a movie made based on Wilbur Smiths books?

Here is a list.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0810335/

Shout at the Devil is Smith's adaptation of the story of P.J. Pretorius. Read Pretorius' book Jungle Man instead. Pretorius was an ivory hunter who was responsible for the sinking of the German cruiser Konigsberg in the Rufuji Delta of Deutschostafrika.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/jungl...torius/2069842/#isbn=157090054X&idiq=26724771

Capstick also had a chapter on Pretorius in "Death in the Silent Places".

Amazing fellow, Pretorius.

Smith is partially responsible for me booking with John Sharp.

When I read how much experience Smith had hunting Africa, and that he was quoted as saying that he had gotten to the point where he wouldn't hunt with anyone who's name wasn't John Sharp - I figured I better check out this guy Sharp!

I always wanted to hunt with mr Sharp for the same reason!

Many years ago Wilbur Smith referred me to John Sharp.

Personally? If so, you lucky guy ;)
Mr Smith introduced me to Africa and a passion that still lives with me to this day! Even have an "adopted" South African family that I visit. It was one of those visits I eventually became a hunter. So I have many things to thank him for :)

I actually got a signed message and book for me and my son, arranged my his wife Niso. One of my most treasured possesions :)

Personally? If so, you lucky guy ;)
Yep, personally. During the Apartheid years I had supplied him with Swift A-frame bullets. Won't explain here how... ;) Also got some of his books with dedications.

Nice :) Seems like you got some good advice. He`s for sure an avid hunter and have been for many years. He speaks very good for hunting in his memoirs.

Now he actually fishes in Norway every year:)

Courtney series is great entertainment reading
Wilbur Smith Has the reputation of being historically accurate.

Oh I just reread “Sibanda” by Tim Farren. Great fictional read and Tim is on AH.com with us.
Actual journal writings, probably my favorite is “The Man-Eaters of Tsavo”
by JohnHenry Patterson.

G'day Mark-Hunter

I am new to this sight, hence the late reply.

Shout at the devil is a classic move, but one of the most famous movies which was based on his book is 'Dark of the Sun' (Aka - The Mercenaries), link noted below :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_of_the_Sun

Starring Rod Taylor (an Aussie Actor) based on the Congo War

Regards

Rob

Love Wilbur Smith. Was told years ago you haven’t read African literature until you read Smith. I now have almost all of his books, but I keep going back and reading the Courtney and Ballyntine series. I love the historical African facts spread throughout his tale weaving. I have one of his books on my night stand now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross