Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, Mozambique
Hey everybody,

I was told this guy wrote some good books on Africa (I think, not sure, mostly fiction). Anybody know anything about him or his books?

Thanks

One of my favourites. There is a little hunting, but not too much. But all of his books take place in Africa covering periods from the 1600s all the way up to modern times. The Courtney series are my favourites.

One of my favourites. There is a little hunting, but not too much. But all of his books take place in Africa covering periods from the 1600s all the way up to modern times. The Courtney series are my favourites.

Thanks Ragman. "Favourites", love that. Ready for hockey?

I have read quite a few of his books too. The Courtney remains tops in my opinion. Fiction, but quite a bit of research has gone into them and are locations quite accurate at times. As a non-fiction enthusiast, have I enjoyed his books very much, but I can't read two books back to back.

His books are well worth the read though!

I have read quite a few of his books too. The Courtney remains tops in my opinion. Fiction, but quite a bit of research has gone into them and are locations quite accurate at times. As a non-fiction enthusiast, have I enjoyed his books very much, but I can't read two books back to back.

His books are well worth the read though!

Thanks buddy. That is normally me as well, prefer non-fiction. I would try one though.

Thanks Ragman. "Favourites", love that. Ready for hockey?

Not a huge hockey fan. Mainly like to cheer for whoever is playing the Leafs!!!
I'm much more into football!

My suggestion for your first Wilbur Smith book is When the Lion Feeds.

Great author and all of his books are very readable if you enjoy action and adventure with an African theme.
Assegai probably has more hunting than most and you can read this as a stand alone book without having to read a load of others to understand it.
The Burning Shore is also another cracking read as is The Golden Fox.

I enjoy his books, I find them entertaining and easy reading.
The Leopard Hunts in Darkness is a good read as well as When the Lion Feeds and Assegai.

The Ancient Egypt series is interesting, but I find the Ballantyne and Courteney series more captivating and easier to read.

Great author as others have stated. The Courteney series is a must read and will keep you entertained for months. I also enjoy his Hector Cross series which is new in comparison. A lot of hunting, just not if animals!

Great author. His early books are some of his best. My favorite is "The Seventh Scroll".

Great author. His early books are some of his best. My favorite is "The Seventh Scroll".

But you need to read 'River God' first or it makes no sense......

Picked up "When the lion feeds" around 1969 in Mombasa or Dar. Have been a fan ever since. His older novels are his best, IMHO. His best works are Historical Novels in the British Colonial period.

I would recommend in order:

1. The Courtney Novels (first half dozen are the best)

2. The Ballantyne Novels

http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/books

I listened to one of his newer books recently. The main character is in London and takes his rifles by Paul Roberts to store them. Little details like that make the book more interesting to me and I presume people like @spike.t ;)

If you read "When the lion feeds" and don't like it, you will know never to read/trust anything I post again.:D

I concur with the others, they are excellent Africa action stories. Without spoilers, let me just mention that in the later Courtenay novels, there's a character who was a PH but then a mercenary, and he uses a .577 NE double. Smith often mentions very specific calibers and details about equipment. Good fun.

But you need to read 'River God' first or it makes no sense......

Untrue. It refers to River God but it's stand alone.

Untrue. It refers to River God but it's stand alone.
But wouldn't you agree that reading River God first makes the Seventh Scroll more enjoyable?
The characters in River God are heavily referred to in the story line.
I read the Seventh Scroll before River God and it was only then did it come together so I still suggest one should be read before the other.
Your opinion might be different but you cannot deny the two books are linked and there is an order to them.

I started reading his books after my first safari in 2012 on the recommendation of my PH, I have 4 on the go at the present time.

He was the guy who sent me to Africa. My fascination was intense when I read those first books when I was 12-13 years old. That gave me my first bucket list item. Go to Africa. I went when I was 20. Now have a second family in Port Elizabeth and had my first rifle hunt there when I was 32 years old with Marius from KMG safaris :)

Have a personalized bookplate from Mr. Smith to me and my son. His wife Niso made it happen. It`s a priced possession :)

They are good books but I found that after you read a couple you have read them all. "Something of value" by Ruark is a really good read - far better then Smith at his best- in my opinion. But any book you enjoy is worth reading.

Read them all, earlier stuff is the best. Later some of the stories are just silly. Tony Park is sort of taking up the slack for Smith now, very similar in many ways, though a little too much gratuitous sex in my view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg