Why not a Single Shot?

I love Single Shot Rifles & Ruger No. 1 rifles! I currently own 4 of them. .223 Rem., .270 Win., .338 Win Mag & 45-70. I also have 2 Browning Single Shot B78 rifles. A .22 hornet, and a .270 Win. I should also mention I have a Winchester High Wall in .222 Rimmed. Single shot rifles are so classy and beautiful!
@shotgungibbs
I to love the Single shots. I have a nice original 1885 lowall made in 1891. New timber and sleeved to 22K Hornet so I could keep the original half round half octagonal barrel. Custom scope mount and meopta 3.5-10X42 scope. Pure and delightful simplicity.
Bob
20200201_135424.jpg
20200201_135400.jpg

My one trip to Afrika was with a Ruger No.1 in 300WSM (long throated); accurate beyond my capabilities.
I note tat several contributors here are fans; Kevin Peacocke has written of Cape Buff wit a single shot, my great respect for him doing tat, and good D/G builder in Australia, Antony George says they are artillery piece strong.
One "story" related to me was of an early test of a No. 1 were a 30.06 was run with a case full (compressed) behind a 180 grain bullet. The action was still serviceable afterwards. True? I know not...
my Sin is that I rebarrel them in non-standard calibers ...

I admit that hunting buffalo with a single shot would be a more specialized proposition, on a continuum having a double or bolt on one end and black powder or bow on the other. Not knowing the conditions in which I'd be hunting, I would blindly rely on what my PH advises. When we talked buffalo on my last safari, he thought that my .375 would make a good gun for the purpose.

Upon his slightest qualm, however, I would of course go with my N. 2 choice, which I affectionately call "The Beast."

The Beast1.jpg
The Beast3.jpg

Either way, that buff is going down to a classic British rifle!

@Tom Leoni I share your passion for the single shots for all of the reasons you mentioned.
I think that the folks who are are talking about the single shot being somehow less of an arm than a bolt action or a DR are less proficient than they should be. I have killed more than one deer in a hunt with a single shot rifle. It was an Encore in 300WM and I thought I had somehow made a passthrough and injured the other deer. I was able to pull the spent shell out and exchange it with a fresh shell from a jacket pocket all in time to make the second shot. If you put in the time and actually drill the reload it isn't inconceivable that you can get off more than one shot if needed especially with a well designed cartridge belt or one of those breech side bandoliers. Given the presence of ejectors in some of these rifles like the Ruger #1 there is no excuse to have multiple shots available should you need them even if you have lesser manual dexterity.
With the way I have seen some of the folks dancing around trying to manage the recoil of the larger bores :P Elmer Fudd:and the advocating of dismounting the rifle to cycle the bolt:A Bang Head:, there is plenty of room to reload and fire a single shot rifle.

I just reread Tom's original post and perhaps were missing the question asked. I believe it related to having an obsession with single shot rifles, and not if they are superior or inferior. I may not be obsessed with them but I sure did love my No.1 Topical when I had it and now 30 years later I still regret the bone head move.

Cheers,
Tommy

One of the great benifets of hnting with a single shot is the short length of the rifle. I'm 5'9" and I can hold my single shots by the pistol grip with my arm at my side and the barrel never tpuches the ground.

I’m another who hunts with a single shot. I hunt elk regularly with one & do have the chance of bumping a grizzly in elk count. Though not legal to hunt, I feel my #1 .375 could save my bacon in an encounter I didn’t want.
I like single shots.

@Tom Leoni I share your passion for the single shots for all of the reasons you mentioned.
I think that the folks who are are talking about the single shot being somehow less of an arm than a bolt action or a DR are less proficient than they should be. I have killed more than one deer in a hunt with a single shot rifle. It was an Encore in 300WM and I thought I had somehow made a passthrough and injured the other deer. I was able to pull the spent shell out and exchange it with a fresh shell from a jacket pocket all in time to make the second shot. If you put in the time and actually drill the reload it isn't inconceivable that you can get off more than one shot if needed especially with a well designed cartridge belt or one of those breech side bandoliers. Given the presence of ejectors in some of these rifles like the Ruger #1 there is no excuse to have multiple shots available should you need them even if you have lesser manual dexterity.
With the way I have seen some of the folks dancing around trying to manage the recoil of the larger bores :P Elmer Fudd:and the advocating of dismounting the rifle to cycle the bolt:A Bang Head:, there is plenty of room to reload and fire a single shot rifle.
I am curious if you have hunted dangerous game with a single shot where you needed to quickly place a second shot at an escaping animal. I like to think I am “proficient” with my singles (I think I own six at last count and have been shooting one in .270 since 1975). But as ”proficient“ as I am, there is no way that I can get off a second aimed shot with one faster than I can with a double or R8 (or a Mauser for that matter). Oh by the way, I, and I suspect every other experienced dangerous game hunter who has expressed some caution in using a single in that role, can handle recoil just fine.

I am all for loving single shots for what they are, but there is no sense in attributing to them virtues that they don’t have. Should anyone wish to hunt a buffalo, lion, or elephant with a single shot, then by all means do so. My only caution is that when preparing for that shot at a buffalo, you are initiating a chain of events that can end in celebration but also tragedy. Sometimes an immediate second shot into a departing bull can make all the difference.

My drillings are single shot rifles, and have accounted for deer. But for African game...my biggest concern would be for the limits imposed BY THE PH in allowing only easy, safe shots. I would not doubt that a PH, with justification, would not keep you an extra distance out of harms way just because of potential limitations of a single shot in a tight corner. I don't want the hunting experience to be that tame just so I can use a single shot rifle! If you think you are fast with a single shot, just try using a single shot shotgun to shoot at passing ducks, or flushing quail--by the time you are reloaded, the opportunity for a second shot is long gone. Let that soak in.

I am curious if you have hunted dangerous game with a single shot where you needed to quickly place a second shot at an escaping animal. I like to think I am “proficient” with my singles (I think I own six at last count and have been shooting one in .270 since 1975). But as ”proficient“ as I am, there is no way that I can get off a second aimed shot with one faster than I can with a double or R8 (or a Mauser for that matter). Oh by the way, I, and I suspect every other experienced dangerous game hunter who has expressed some caution in using a single in that role, can handle recoil just fine.

I am all for loving single shots for what they are, but there is no sense in attributing to them virtues that they don’t have. Should anyone wish to hunt a buffalo, lion, or elephant with a single shot, then by all means do so. My only caution is that when preparing for that shot at a buffalo, you are initiating a chain of events that can end in celebration but also tragedy. Sometimes an immediate second shot into a departing bull can make all the difference.

This is a very good note of caution. In my DG hunting I have needed a quick follow-up shot twice. Once on grizzly and once on buffalo. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does you’d better be ready for it.

You have some beautiful rifles btw......that martini looks familiar.......;-)

I bet it does... :cool: I will be using it on the first part of my safari. Matter of fact, I just shot it today since I had to change loads (the Federal 180gr Power Shok it loves is impossible to find and I'm down to 24 rounds). Fortunately I've hoarded quite a few boxes of PPU 180s, which still give me more than acceptable hunting accuracy out to 150 yards or so. I won't switch to Old Faithful until I've taken at least two animals with the Martini.

Well I love single shot rifles especially Ruger #1s. I am perfectly fine hunting dangerous game with my #1 in 375 H&H. I am not worried about getting off the fast second shot and as @Red Leg points out I can get the second shot off almost as fast as with a bolt action.
I have four of the Big Five also five of the dangerous six and with the exception of my elephant all of the shots were taken at a distance that would have allowed me to reload a single shot rifle But alas I didn’t need to. My Hippo was taken with the single shot #1 in 375.
So what I am saying is that if you love your single shot go hunt with it. Even if it’s dangerous game. Nobody says you have to stand right next to the animal you target…..choose the distance required……know where to aim….hit where you aim…..drop the animal “dead right there”.
Most of my trophies taken in Africa have been with the 300 WM pictured to the left Including a massive eland Which was the only animal I put a second shot into at the request of the PH. First shot was actually through the heart but the big guy didn’t know he was dead yet. Oh there was a zebra once that ran into the tick stuff that I had to track and put another round into out of mercy. The 375 H&H on the right I have taken springbuck, golden wildebeest, impala and hippo No second shots required. Doesn’t mean that one might not need a second shot and that’s why I have one in between the fingers of my left hand.
FF232023-ABAF-4131-AA7F-BC4ADCB8FBD8.jpeg

Last edited:
When I first started giving serious consideration to Africa, a fellow hunter who had been on several previous safaris told me that he had taken all of his PG with a Browning B-78 (in .30-06 IIRC). It got me thinking about doing something similar. Several years later when I actually booked my safari, and not being sure about the actual field conditions, I decided to take a magazine rifle instead, mostly due to concerns about a quick follow-up shot. As it turned out, only one actual follow-up shot was required (in addition to two "finisher" or "mercy" shots) and there would have been plenty of time to reload a single shot rifle. The bolt gun served its purpose well, but if I knew then what I know now, I would probably have chosen to take a single shot rifle. Of course, that was on a PG hunt.

Regarding DG, I am reminded of a cartoon that I saw in an old sporting magazine about 50 years ago. Although not as funny when explained as to look at it, the cartoonist portrayed a stereotypical African hunter complete with bush jacket and pith helmet. He held a double rifle in his hands, and at his feet was a recently-deceased lion, its jaws wrapped around the bwana's ankle, as the Native tracker looked on. The caption was "By Jove, I needed that second shot after all!" :LOL:

Beautiful gun but do it and yourself a favor and get some full wrap checkering on it. Sure would set it off.
@CJW
That's what my gunsmith said. Some nice 22 to 24 like checkering in an old pattern.
He calls it his unfinished project but I'm debating if $600 is worth it.
Bob

@CJW
That's what my gunsmith said. Some nice 22 to 24 like checkering in an old pattern.
He calls it his unfinished project but I'm debating if $600 is worth it.
Bob
Given the practical rate of inflation (as opposed to the "official" rate), that $600 will only have $400 worth of buying power by the time he completes the work (assuming a year turnaround). So, is the checkering worth $400 to you?

I vote yes.

Upon my 2021 safari, I was surprised to hear my PH tell me that I was the first client he'd ever had using a single-shot rifle. But then again, I remember reading somewhere (Boddington? Woods? Capstick?) that in spite of the popularity of single shots in the four decades straddling 1900 and of the rather ubiquitous Ruger No. 1 more recently, the greatest majority of today's traveling sportsmen use bolt-action rifles, a few use doubles, and an infinitesimal percentage stick to single-loaders.

Why not a single shot rifle?

On one of my eralier safaris, u hunter comes to the camp with k95, single shot.
Goes for PG package, 5 animals.
During the hunt decides he will take additional sable. (not a steinbok but a sable!)

Last day of hunt, before going home, on sunset, he shoots the sable, a bit from behind, under angle, aiming for the shoulder, when was supposed to aim behind shoulder to get diagonal pass through to the vitals, as per advice of PH. Cca 100 +meters.

Sable is hit, in clear, and makes several turns, trying to lick and get to the wound, in the same time asking for second shot that does not come.
By the time the rifle breaks open, and reloaded, sable is gone in the bush.

The sun sets, the darkness comes. The search was stopped.
Next day, search is early on, dogs, trackers, PH, (me, along with them, hoping to get a shot at that sable) etc....
Sable kept walking all the night, blood spoor here and there, and sable was never found. (but on the end, paid for)

For Africa: bolt action, or double rifle. Sometimes you need second shot. And you need it fast! Otherwise it could be expensive. Thanks, but no, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross