Why not a Single Shot?

I have taken single shots on two of my safaris (2013 and 2021) Using a single is very personal decision. You have to have confidence in rifle and make sure your first shot is on target. I have worked the manual of arms in a quick reload for second shot but will never be as fast as a double or a straight pull. I can match a bolt gun for two shots but not a third. (With the #1's but not even close with the encore) To take one for DG you will have to one have your PH buy in on using one as he will have to clean up a mess if you jack up your first shot. And you have to have the discipline to walk away from some situitations and not take a shot. For african DG I will always use one of the doubles or a bolt gun.

@Red Leg That 7x65 is a lovely svelte little stalking rifle! Bradley make you a beauty.

@AZDAVE - I am pretty much the hunter you describe. My passion for hunting is (was) the result of my passion for fine vintage firearms--much like an M-series Leica photographer whose pleasure in taking pictures results from his intrigue with the rangefinder system. In other words: I hunt so that I can use these rifles much more than the other way around. We all make compromises, like committed bow-hunters well know.

I'm also not a trophy hunter, meaning that I don't think I've ever measured the size of an animal I've ever taken--here at home or elsewhere. Therefore, I have no problem whatsoever passing on a shot at game if I'm not confident that I can make a clean kill. To me, hunting is 1) enjoying my firearms and (when applicable) my handloads, 2) camaraderie with my PH and (when applicable) my buddies, 3) walking and stalking--the more of it the better, 4) learning about fauna and new places, and 5) taking home the memories and, if the gods are on my side, the animals, their beauty and the fine meat and skin they provide.

I already make a big compromise here at home in the form of never hunting from a deer-stand, which is something I find more boring than watching paint dry. Sure, God only knows how many deer I've lost by insisting on my walk-and-stalk methods, but when I do get one it feels like I've scored an Olympic medal.

This is also why I have no problem with my PH tailoring my hunt to my skills and my firearms--again, much like an archery-hunt guide would do. All this is not to say that I'd ever turn my double rifles into safe queens, since I love them just as much--but when I decide to take a single-shot on a hunt, I do so with full awareness of my limitations and my equipment's.

I have hunted DG with a Ruger#1, as stated earlier a 2nd shot can be made in comparable time or less than with a standard bolt. The 3rd shot does take a bit more time.

I checked with PH and outfitter prior to hunt and both told me that if anyone is crazy enough to hunt Buffalo with a single shot probably knows how to use it and had NO reservations of me bringing it.

I did have to make a quick 2nd shot on Nyala. After the dust settled, the PH turned to me with a puzzled look and said you are shooting a single shot aren't you?

He then asked me to show him how I got 2nd shot off so quick after showing him, he asked me to do it again, but in slow motion so he could see what was really happening.

Just remember as a kid, if dad gave you a box of 22 shells and a semi auto you came home with a few squirrels. If you got a single shot a 5 shells you came home with 5 squirrels.

I am curious if you have hunted dangerous game with a single shot where you needed to quickly place a second shot at an escaping animal. I like to think I am “proficient” with my singles (I think I own six at last count and have been shooting one in .270 since 1975). But as ”proficient“ as I am, there is no way that I can get off a second aimed shot with one faster than I can with a double or R8 (or a Mauser for that matter). Oh by the way, I, and I suspect every other experienced dangerous game hunter who has expressed some caution in using a single in that role, can handle recoil just fine.

I am all for loving single shots for what they are, but there is no sense in attributing to them virtues that they don’t have. Should anyone wish to hunt a buffalo, lion, or elephant with a single shot, then by all means do so. My only caution is that when preparing for that shot at a buffalo, you are initiating a chain of events that can end in celebration but also tragedy. Sometimes an immediate second shot into a departing bull can make all the difference.
Well I hunted a black bear with a muzzle loader once and could've used a quick second shot there. You're fortunate enough to have all these things and that's really great. How exactly is it that you quantify proficiency? I'll start. Now I'm just a poor bumpkin, but I do have a sub three second revolver reload with speed loaders shot to shot. So my manual dexterity is better than most. I quantify proficiency with a single shot rifle as getting three hits on an 8" plate in about eight seconds at fifty yards. If the recoil can be handled it seems doable right?
Well I love single shot rifles especially Ruger #1s. I am perfectly fine hunting dangerous game with my #1 in 375 H&H. I am not worried about getting off the fast second shot and as @Red Leg points out I can get the second shot off almost as fast as with a bolt action.
I believe this is possible with the .375 given it's recoil characteristics and the taper of the case. With the .458 Lott you'd have to use partitions or something pointy to ensure that fast drop.
The 375 H&H on the right I have taken springbuck, golden wildebeest, impala and hippo No second shots required. Doesn’t mean that one might not need a second shot and that’s why I have one in between the fingers of my left hand.
Why the preference for a round between the fingers of the left hand as opposed to a receiver side saddle? Do you reload with your left hand?

Tom you reflect my sentiments almost exactly. Unlike you though, I enjoy sitting in stands, however, I prefer to spot and stalk. Otherwise it's the enjoyment of hunting with the types of guns that I like. I love a nice trophy but it's the overall experience for me. I'd rather kill a doe with one of my beloved old or old style rifles than a moose with a plastic stocked modern magnum marvel. Not that there's anything wrong with the latest and greatest, just not my thing.

Well I hunted a black bear with a muzzle loader once and could've used a quick second shot there. You're fortunate enough to have all these things and that's really great. How exactly is it that you quantify proficiency? I'll start. Now I'm just a poor bumpkin, but I do have a sub three second revolver reload with speed loaders shot to shot. So my manual dexterity is better than most. I quantify proficiency with a single shot rifle as getting three hits on an 8" plate in about eight seconds at fifty yards. If the recoil can be handled it seems doable right?

I believe this is possible with the .375 given it's recoil characteristics and the taper of the case. With the .458 Lott you'd have to use partitions or something pointy to ensure that fast drop.

Why the preference for a round between the fingers of the left hand as opposed to a receiver side saddle? Do you reload with your left hand?
I am right handed and have practiced having a round between the fingers of the left hand. Hold the rifle with my stronger right hand and open the block with the left put in the fresh round and close the block with the left again. This is what some do with a double.

I love a single shot and I'm thinking of trading a cz550 375hh for a ruger tropical in 416 rigby ....... I have a cz550 in 416 rigby as well but I'm really wanting that ruger , someone talk me out of it lol ! I would like to find one in 404 Jeffery or 505 gibbs but I bet that's like finding a needle in a haystack

I love a single shot and I'm thinking of trading a cz550 375hh for a ruger tropical in 416 rigby ....... I have a cz550 in 416 rigby as well but I'm really wanting that ruger , someone talk me out of it lol ! I would like to find one in 404 Jeffery or 505 gibbs but I bet that's like finding a needle in a haystack
I would never try to talk anyone out of buying A new rifle, especially that one! A great choice!

One thing I love about the single shots is it makes you a better HUNTER. You know you only have one shot so you stalk closer and shoot straighter. You develop patience to wait for the ideal shot because you know you only have the one round.
How many here started shooting with a single shot 22lr and developed the above skills.
As we got older and moved on to repeaters we seem to have forgotten a lot of these early lessons..
Next time you go hunting small game limit your self to taking one round and see if you eat rabbit that night or go hungry.
Just my 2 cents.
Maybe we need to get back to basics and re learn our skills.
Bob

I agree with you bob... I started hunting with a single shot .22lr , the little guy you had to pull the firing pin back , put a lot of meat on the table with that in my younger years and proud I can say I did.. My two daughters 4 and 6 have a single shot 17hmr that they've shot pigs with and I tell ya I'm a proud papa watching them grow on that ! So why wouldn't we turn back to the basics when things were so simple. I remember when a box of .22lr was .50c and we made ever shot count now my rounds cost much much more but I think about it, my favorite memories hunting was when it those simple lean times

I used-to have Ruger No.1s in .300H&H and .450/400 3” NE, and did pretty well here in Australia on buffalo and pigs, etc. They were okay. One or two bulls got a bit hectic and got me working the lever as fast as I could.

I took the .300H&H to the Eastern Cape on my first trip to Africa. I hated it. My rifle hadn’t been worked on, and I believe there are a couple of tweaks that some No.1s benefit from. But I’m also sure that my excitement didn’t help and neither did long shots off standard tripod shooting sticks. I missed a giant kudu which haunts me. The fact my others dropped to one shot each was a fluke in terms of shot placement.

I’m glad I experienced single-shots, but now prefer bolt-actions.

I have hunted DG with a Ruger#1, as stated earlier a 2nd shot can be made in comparable time or less than with a standard bolt. The 3rd shot does take a bit more time.

I checked with PH and outfitter prior to hunt and both told me that if anyone is crazy enough to hunt Buffalo with a single shot probably knows how to use it and had NO reservations of me bringing it.

I did have to make a quick 2nd shot on Nyala. After the dust settled, the PH turned to me with a puzzled look and said you are shooting a single shot aren't you?

He then asked me to show him how I got 2nd shot off so quick after showing him, he asked me to do it again, but in slow motion so he could see what was really happening.

Just remember as a kid, if dad gave you a box of 22 shells and a semi auto you came home with a few squirrels. If you got a single shot a 5 shells you came home with 5 squirrels.
I am pretty quick with a bolt but I would very much like to see your single shot reload.

How is the second shot faster, but the third slower? Please describe the method you use to reload so quickly.

How is the second shot faster, but the third slower? Please describe the method you use to reload so quickly.
I assume he's staging the second round in his fingers, and for the third has to go to a pouch. Would like to see a video with a shot timer.

None of my curiosity is meant to impune either using single shots for hunting, or Mwag's abilities. Just really want to see what we are talking about for time/technique/distance/target.

I've seen boys on horseback work a lever gun quicker than most folks could get back on target with a auto loader and a benchwrest ... but that's no surprise it impresses me I can't chew bubble gum n walk hardly but when the pigs are on the ground running my way I get pretty spry!

Question for the more knowledgeable.... is a falling block quicker to reload that say a break action ? Or is it just techniques

I've seen boys on horseback work a lever gun quicker than most folks could get back on target with a auto loader and a benchwrest ... but that's no surprise it impresses me I can't chew bubble gum n walk hardly but when the pigs are on the ground running my way I get pretty spry!

Question for the more knowledgeable.... is a falling block quicker to reload that say a break action ? Or is it just techniques

As someone who has practiced reloading with a few designs (and actually beaten other practicing folks head to head) I would opt for the Ruger #1 over the 1885 High Wall, the Sharps, the Encore, and the NEF.
I found the break actions slower because of the ergonomics involved with opening the action putting me so far out of position for the remount and subsequent shot. The shotgun trigger on the NEF is annoying and the opening button seems like it should be on the opposite side of the hammer for best utility under time. The Encore/Contender has a good trigger, but then one has to deal with a captive extractor that must be manually cleared of the round unless you've made a rimmed cartridge choice, but even then you cannot reliably count on the "cowboy shuck" to clear a round with any substantial chamber pressure. I've had success with the Encore action in the field with multiple shots during an opportunity. I feel the tactical reload approach offers the best economy of motion. By this I mean breaking the gun with the firing hand and then reaching for a fresh cartridge between the index and middle fingers. The thumb and forefinger pull the spent case away from the action and discard it. Then the fresh cartridge is inserted and drive home with the thumb as the firing hand begins to close the action. I used an Encore pistol in the demonstration so as not to block the ammunition grab stroke. I believe the rifle is faster as the range of motion is reduced in the presentation. For your viewing pleasure I present both methods as best I could present them after a few repetitions to groove them in. Tactical Reload vs. Standard Reload
For those with safety concerns please observe that dummy rounds were utilized for this demonstration:
IMG_20220521_125433850~2.jpg

I would opt for the Ruger #1 over the High Wall or Sharps because the tang safety is much faster than a hammer in my opinion. In the case of the Sharps the hammer must be cocked before the ejection stroke to prevent the firing pin from bending. In the case of the High Wall the hammer is cocked during the ejection stroke which is handy for follow on shots, but I wouldn't choose to have to cock it for the first shot. In all of the falling block actions I would choose an action mounted shell caddy for improved reload speed. I would endeavor to keep the rifle on the shoulder and tilt it as needed to facilitate ejection and loading.

Yes a 2nd round typically between ring finger and pinkie on left hand. Kick empty out with lever right hand dropping next round in with left hand, close take aim and fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg