Why are Weatherby guns in 375+ calibers not liked on a Safari?

I apologize for my above posting error.
Somehow I managed to quote myself, when I really meant to quote IvW, with my above paragraphs, only specifically from: "Hello again IvW" ...... and then only through: "Anyway, Blah, blah, blah, out,".
However, the paragraph below my above described "signed out" line was intended to be a separate post entirely.
No doubt, you chaps expect better computer skills from the world's smartest security guard so, I will do better next time.
Cheers.

Bet you liked hunting with that beast! I see you are using the past tense, presuming you got rid of it or it may be gathering dust in the gun rack/safe.
Yeah I got rid of it. But, I used to shoot it quite a bit, I think that's why I need a shoulder replacement today.

IvW- When dealing with only the typewritten text it is very easy for misunderstandings to occur. For my part and considering your expressed interest in single malts, the attached photo shows a selection of my collection & if you can show a way that I can ship one to you without undue red tape & expense, I am at your service.

DSC_0034.jpg

IvW- When dealing with only the typewritten text it is very easy for misunderstandings to occur. For my part and considering your expressed interest in single malts, the attached photo shows a selection of my collection & if you can show a way that I can ship one to you without undue red tape & expense, I am at your service.

View attachment 176949

Remember the Obama "beer summit"? I think we should have the safari summit! Booze and AH friends declaring war on liver health!

The liver is an evil organ...and must be punished!!!
I punished mine a lot back in my younger years, and now that I am over 60 I try to be kinder to the body parts that I have left.

But I do enjoy the better quality scotches and bourbons every now and then.

This isn't absolute, of course, but the sort of people who buy Weatherbys are a lot like the people who buy Apple computers. In the right hands, they're very good tools. Unfortunately, most of the people who buy either one fall in the "wrong hands" category.

If I wanted to drop a ton of money on a factory rifle, it would bear the name "Sauer" or "Blaser" or "Sako," not Weatherby. Too many guys think that somehow, that extra velocity is going to kill an animal deader, from a longer range, than would otherwise be possible. Newsflash: unless you practice from 300 yards or further, I don't care what the MV or BC or SD is, you're going to miss.

Remember the Obama "beer summit"? I think we should have the safari summit! Booze and AH friends declaring war on liver health!
Your liver is weak. It must be punished!

I shoot out to 1000 with my 264 win and have put over 800 rounds through it. Barrel not burned and still super accurate. The wby hating is odd. Although I only own Remington and sako in calibers from 6.5 swede to 325 wsm, I know plenty of "real hunters" who shoot them to great success. Some of you guys stereotype as bad as Hilary supporters do. Shoot what ever gun you like and shoot it well. After all hunting is a pay to play game. No one goes to Africa for free so the comments about "money made hunters" crack me up. I guess it's only free when daddy pays for it. Haha.

Here comes the next thumper 6.5-300 wby mag

STRICTLY BUSH LEAGUE

The real thumper would be a toss-up between a 6.5/378 Wby and the 6.5/50BMG
:):):):):)

Actually, I think the thing about Weatherbys that gets the most negative reaction was the Hydraulic Shock theory that said a hit anywhere on the animal would transmit shock through the circulatory system ending up at the heart, where the shock would disrupt the heart causing the animals death. The result of believing that theory was that you could shoot the animal anywhere- so no need for accurate shot placement, and the killing properties of the high velocity bullet would take care of things. Since there was no need for accurate shot placement, it left the user free to take 6-7-8-900, even a thousand yard shots, in the belief that a hit anywhere would result in a kill. Since this does not happen to be true, it created a division between hunters and subsequent ill thoughts.

I'm not very knowledgeable about rifles, are the Weatherby rifles of poor quality. I always thought they had a good reputation.

Hello IA Monsterbuck,

NOTE:
After posting this, I realize that I am in error for not referring you to my earlier response, on this very question within a Weatherby topic thread.
Moments ago, I have asked a Moderator to move my blathering here to an appropriate thread.

In Weatherby's defense, their rifles are usually very accurate.
Be that as it may, so are most other rifle brands today.
The older Brno and present day CZ series of bolt action hunting rifles are, in my personal experiences, noticeably more accurate than any brand commonly available 20 or 30 years ago.
Even the cheapest ones like Savage, are way accurate today.
Moving right along, I do like the very silent "safety" catch on the MK V.
It is significantly similar to the excellent P-14 and P-17 Enfield design.

But anyway to answer your question, back in the 1970's, a Chico California Gunsmith, Ray Spiegel told me that, over the years he used a candle flame to coat the 9 locking lugs on more than one or two Weatherby MK V rifle bolts, with waxy smoke film and then he worked each bolt several times in its respective rifle.
Not one of them engaged more than 3 lugs maximum.

He did however point out that Weatherby obviously uses best quality steel, as he had never heard of one shearing off even one of those 9 tiny lugs.
Ray was in his 70's back then and so sadly, he is long gone now and cannot give us his May-2017 opinion on rifles.
I will however presume that, with today's greatly improved manufacturing technology, CNC machining and so forth, all 9 Weatherby lugs actually contact their intended counterparts (?).

Well known Author and PH, Robin Hurt, mentioned in one of his articles that, he'd witnessed a factory loaded round stick its empty brass in a MK V chamber so tightly that, the bolt could not be opened by human hands.
They had to use a makeshift bludgeon of some sort to literally beat it open.
He credited this unpleasant, equipment failure to the Africa sun being hot that day and the Weatherby reputation of loading their factory ammunition to near maximum pressures.
If the above paragraphs do not raise more questions in your mind than they answer then, I encourage you to seek out any owner of a .340 Weatherby, to ask if they'll let you fire off a factory loaded or hand loaded equivalent velocity round.
Pay no attention to the half moon scar over their shooting side eyebrow.
It's probably just coincidence that it is the same shape as about half of the rear bell on his scope.

If you turn out to be one of those rare souls who, can repeatedly fire a .340 without developing a flinch, then ask yourself if there is any target you've consistently hit with the .340 that, likewise you could not also consistently hit with the same weight bullet from a boring old .338 Winchester.

Last but not least, look up the word "garish" in any English dictionary.

Let the hate mail begin,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Velo Dog,

I believe you are referencing the .375 Weatherby Mag calibers and up. While the .340 and smaller do pack a punch, they kick no harder that comparable Mag calibers of the same size. I own Weatherby's in .300, .340, and .375. I shoot a Sako in .300Wby for almost all my needs and the .340 feels very similar in recoil. They are extremely manageable.

The .375Wby will absolutely destroy your shoulder...mine will probably never do anything more than take up gun safe space. Makes my .375H&H feel like nothing.

A good rifle is one you can hit with....and not be twitching like you developed St. Vitas Dance. Weatherby rifles are not my style...sort of 1950's pimp. I always liked the comment of waiting for a Weatherby rifle to come out with a stock showing a, "One eyed whore sitting in an outhouse smoking a cigar"...I think I saw that tatoo'd on a guy.

Anyway, they're kickers in the larger calibers and I love seeing them on the gun store rack with a box of shells included (less 2 used ones). Roy Weatherby killed game with his rifles, lots of them...but, well, just but.

I shoot out to 1000 with my 264 win and have put over 800 rounds through it. Barrel not burned and still super accurate. The wby hating is odd. Although I only own Remington and sako in calibers from 6.5 swede to 325 wsm, I know plenty of "real hunters" who shoot them to great success. Some of you guys stereotype as bad as Hilary supporters do. Shoot what ever gun you like and shoot it well. After all hunting is a pay to play game. No one goes to Africa for free so the comments about "money made hunters" crack me up. I guess it's only free when daddy pays for it. Haha.

I think the derision for the "money-made hunters" is guys who get into hunting later in life when they've got plenty of money, but don't take a care from people with IRL hunting experience. Weatherby is expensive, so they assume it's the best.

They're not all like that, but I've personally known a couple that were. One was a successful lawyer from New York. Got the hunting bug in his 50s, wouldn't listen to anyone who knew better, and bought a beautiful (but for him ultimately useless) 340 Wby Mag. With very little shooting experience, he goes down to Vermejo Park on an elk hunt. The rifle wallops him when they're making sure they're sited in before hunting, and he flinched every time he pulled the trigger and missed several nice bulls from within 200 yards, one from less than 100 yards if my memory serves.

On the 264, the issue with short-lived barrels was with the really light bullets (100 gr) at something like 3500-3600 fps at the muzzle. The 140s are in the 3k fps range, so not as much stress on the barrel. I'd love to own a 264 Win Mag

I think the derision for the "money-made hunters" is guys who get into hunting later in life when they've got plenty of money, but don't take a care from people with IRL hunting experience. Weatherby is expensive, so they assume it's the best.

They're not all like that, but I've personally known a couple that were. One was a successful lawyer from New York. Got the hunting bug in his 50s, wouldn't listen to anyone who knew better, and bought a beautiful (but for him ultimately useless) 340 Wby Mag. With very little shooting experience, he goes down to Vermejo Park on an elk hunt. The rifle wallops him when they're making sure they're sited in before hunting, and he flinched every time he pulled the trigger and missed several nice bulls from within 200 yards, one from less than 100 yards if my memory serves.

On the 264, the issue with short-lived barrels was with the really light bullets (100 gr) at something like 3500-3600 fps at the muzzle. The 140s are in the 3k fps range, so not as much stress on the barrel. I'd love to own a 264 Win Mag
Understood Zim. Yes I really like that 264. Have taken an elk and two Nilgai with it. Shoot 140's. Also love my swede, it wallups whitetail.

Understood Zim. Yes I really like that 264. Have taken an elk and two Nilgai with it. Shoot 140's. Also love my swede, it wallups whitetail.
Craig Boddington has a video of him taking down a nice gemsbok with his 264 win mag.

Hello.

My friend did return from a SA Safari and told me that the PH in the camp told him that they did not like Weatherby guns for dangerous game.
They do not work good.
Really? Is that so?
I have two MkV in 300 and one in 340, they work great.
Has these something to do with the recoil level being high on the Weatherby calibers, compared to a say 375 H&H or 458 WM? Meaning the hunter is not able to handle the recoil?
Or, is it that the guns do not have controlled round feeing as a M98 and others?

Norway, don't sweat it... there's just no accounting for class!! ;)
They are very fine rifles... a lot of them come with muzzle brakes which as PH's we don't really care for because of the back blast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,