Why all the 6.5 Creedmoor Hate?

Whether the extant cartridges are/were better or not, here’s some other almost extinct solutions: WSSM, SAUM, WSM. LOL
Don’t forget the Remington ultra mags, unbelievable how many cartridges come and go. I don’t think the 6.5 creedmoor is going anywhere though. For better or worse, they did a great job of getting rifle and ammo manufacturers to offer it in their lines. I looked today to see how much ammo was available for it and was shocked at the amount of options and in stock.

El Cheapo Savage Axis in 6.5 CM, mount a hundred dollar Vortex, Barska or Simmons scope on it, buy some good ammo and go shoot one inch groups at 100 yards. It's a no brainer and one would be hard pressed to do that with another off the shelf 6.5 cartridge..

I think you will be hard-pressed to find any other factory 6.5 mm factory cartridge on the shelf, now that the Manbun has won the world over.

Don’t forget the Remington ultra mags, unbelievable how many cartridges come and go. I don’t think the 6.5 creedmoor is going anywhere though. For better or worse, they did a great job of getting rifle and ammo manufacturers to offer it in their lines. I looked today to see how much ammo was available for it and was shocked at the amount of options and in stock.
I bought a Remington in 7mm RUM about 20 years ago, it came with 2 boxes of ammo. I opened the ammo box and was impressed with the size of the cartridge, so I bought it. Many whitetails, a Mulie and Audad have fallen from it. New ammo cannot be found. It has a very sharp recoil as it is a 404 Jeffrey cartridge necked down to a 7 mm. it Is one of the flattest shooting rounds ever made, with that being said I would much rather stalk and shoot at close range with heavy lead.

I bought a Remington in 7mm RUM about 20 years ago, it came with 2 boxes of ammo. I opened the ammo box and was impressed with the size of the cartridge, so I bought it. Many whitetails, a Mulie and Audad have fallen from it. New ammo cannot be found. It has a very sharp recoil as it is a 404 Jeffrey cartridge necked down to a 7 mm. it Is one of the flattest shooting rounds ever made, with that being said I would much rather stalk and shoot at close range with heavy lead.
Hearing all the discussions about long shots or sniping of game. I'll be the first to say in the right condition I'll take a long shot if the conditions are right. The time I get off work, the money spent to get out there, gear, scouting for hours upon hours trying to figure out where to hunt. If I'm comfortable with the shot I'm going to fill a tag. If it is possible to get to 10 yards I will. Thing is limited time to hunt, limited opportunities on public, I'll take advantage of my skills if I'm able.

Hearing all the discussions about long shots or sniping of game. I'll be the first to say in the right condition I'll take a long shot if the conditions are right. The time I get off work, the money spent to get out there, gear, scouting for hours upon hours trying to figure out where to hunt. If I'm comfortable with the shot I'm going to fill a tag. If it is possible to get to 10 yards I will. Thing is limited time to hunt, limited opportunities on public, I'll take advantage of my skills if I'm able.

I would go out to 500 yards and a little beyond with a couple of my rifles setups with no problem, right now, given the proper conditions.

It's all about knowing your setup very well, spending the time to record the "dope", and practice, practice, practice!

I would go out to 500 yards and a little beyond with a couple of my rifles setups with no problem, right now, given the proper conditions.

It's all about knowing your setup very well, spending the time to record the "dope", and practice, practice, practice!
I would still try to get as close as possible, but if I were confident in my setup, and experienced in making a long shot (on PG), I would do it.

I’m not sure where you get “unicorns and rainbows” from, but the name comes from a late 19th century range established by the NRA.

Imagine the drool out of an Anglophile’s mouth if a new “Bisley” cartridge was released by a London best maker.

Not doubting the namesake but post #42 notes a company named Creedmoor sports. I wonder which it is.

Bruce Moulds stated on a thread it was after the rifle range. He knew a lot about firearms and history so I take it he had knowledge of this.

Either way I know Bruce was not an advocate of the Creedmoor and Man Buns so I will avoid the trend.

Not doubting the namesake but post #42 notes a company named Creedmoor sports. I wonder which it is.

Bruce Moulds stated on a thread it was after the rifle range. He knew a lot about firearms and history so I take it he had knowledge of this.

Either way I know Bruce was not an advocate of the Creedmoor and Man Buns so I will avoid the trend.
@CBH Australia
Chris I have a fast 25 so I have no real use for any 6.5.
Where it runs out of puff the Whelen takes over.
If it's to big for the Whelen it's to big for my frying pan.
Bob

That was my post mentioning that the idea for the 6.5 CM "MAY HAVE COME" from the then manager of Creedmoor Sports. He could have named it after himself. I also mentioned that this company provided items for target shooters.

With all the above, why would a company specializing in products for target shooters take the name of the famous Creedmoor rifle range? I guess some things are hard to imagine...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creedmoor_Rifle_Range

I also clearly stated that the 6.5 CM was developed to fill a need for Across the Course 0-600 yard target shooting. For that, it is a very good cartridge.

Taking the name Creedmoor is similar to Springfield Armory, a commercial firearms company, taking the name of the US Government armory at Springfield Illinois.

That was my post mentioning that the idea for the 6.5 CM "MAY HAVE COME" from the then manager of Creedmoor Sports. He could have named it after himself. I also mentioned that this company provided items for target shooters.

With all the above, why would a company specializing in products for target shooters take the name of the famous Creedmoor rifle range? I guess some things are hard to imagine...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creedmoor_Rifle_Range

I also clearly stated that the 6.5 CM was developed to fill a need for Across the Course 0-600 yard target shooting. For that, it is a very good cartridge.

Taking the name Creedmoor is similar to Springfield Armory, a commercial firearms company, taking the name of the US Government armory at Springfield Illinois.

So either way the Creedmoor name has an association with the range either directly or indirectly

I have no idea just noting I had read something in earlier post.

Not sure why the hate, but just saw this:

IMG_20221205_141314.jpg

In my experience, focus groups pick the name of a new product. The suits lay out a dozen or so names and the one the group likes the best, is anointed. Notice how Creedmoor rolls off the toungue? The aforementioned Lazeroni just sounds like some sort of Italian pasta dish.

In my experience, focus groups pick the name of a new product. The suits lay out a dozen or so names and the one the group likes the best, is anointed. Notice how Creedmoor rolls off the toungue? The aforementioned Lazeroni just sounds like some sort of Italian pasta dish.
Absolutely! Not long ago it seems every name in the arms industry was Valkyrie this, that, or the other :)

Fellow Hunters,

A few years ago I used a Hawaiian Hunting Guide’s rifle, in caliber 6.5 Creedmoor and 140 grain Hornady factory loaded ammunition, with 140 gr lead core, plastic tipped spitzer.
The rifle itself was mass produced junk.
The scope looked like a movie prop from Star Wars.

However, it all was quite accurate and I sacked a decent Polynesian boar for myself, plus a smaller boar at the Guide’s request, for his personal use.
I would go there again if I have the chance.

Nonetheless, I continue to resent the fact that even though my well over 100 year old **6.5x55 is the ballistic twin of the much newer Creedmoor version, our stores here in Alaska have not had ammunition available to fit my little rifle, for 2 years so far.
Meanwhile, there are literally rows of live ammunition in assorted brand packets and fancy boxes, for the 6.5 Creedmoor on retail shelves here.

**It is sad to see how easily influenced the average consumer is.
Oh well, I probably deserved this fate, due to some terrible wrong I have committed, somewhere along life’s road.

Before the present Creedmoor fad, Remington tried this same marketing scam, with their .260 Remington.
Not sure why the .260 failed to become popular while the pretty much identical 6.5 Creedmoor took off like a brush fire.
My best guess is in the advertising, (as already mentioned by Hogpatrol and fourfive8), to include a catchy name.

Anywhooo, much prior to the Creedmoor, back when the .260 Remington was announced, I became nervous about it and began hoarding ammunition and hand loading components for my 6.5x55.
Blah blah blah whatever. LoL

Cheerio,
Velo Dog.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.23.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.23.47 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
I think the Lazzeroni 6.53 Scramjet, may, finally, be poised to knock it off it's pedestal!
Only if your able to import the .266 bullets and dies from Tibet. They currently have a backorder from the monastery that manufacturers them. I guess the Scramjet is used for Yeti hunting in the Himalayas? You guys are absolutely killing me here with this stuff! LOL

I am playing with a custom 6.5 PRC right now. It’s liking 140 gr accubonds at 2,900 fps. One hole at 100 and roughly 1/2” at 200. For me, this rifle is all about Coues deer hunting and so far it seems to be stacking up as the right tool for the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg