Whodunnit?

steve white

AH ambassador
Joined
Feb 9, 2018
Messages
5,829
Reaction score
13,195
Location
dallas tx
Articles
3
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
We are perplexed: my brother stuck an arrow in a feral pig while deer hunting, so did not come down from the tree stand for a while (still waiting on deer). When we tracked the blood trail we came upon the pig laying under pine trees on the usual bed of pine needles--so no observable tracks around. The question is, what ate a perfect circle of flesh from one ham--it was dished out in shape and as clean cut at if a knife had been used. Just a plate sized, 2 inch shallow portion of missing flesh, with the hide and hair gone, just so cleanly removed, and any blood apparently licked away.
The question is, what did it? What could cut it out so smoothly? It was east Texas, so maybe the infamous puma? Anyone ever seen this happen? Sorry, didn't think to take pictures at the time.
 
Definitely a Chupacabra that migrated from South Texas.
Was the spot at an arrow entry or exit?
 
We are perplexed: my brother stuck an arrow in a feral pig while deer hunting, so did not come down from the tree stand for a while (still waiting on deer). When we tracked the blood trail we came upon the pig laying under pine trees on the usual bed of pine needles--so no observable tracks around. The question is, what ate a perfect circle of flesh from one ham--it was dished out in shape and as clean cut at if a knife had been used. Just a plate sized, 2 inch shallow portion of missing flesh, with the hide and hair gone, just so cleanly removed, and any blood apparently licked away.
The question is, what did it? What could cut it out so smoothly? It was east Texas, so maybe the infamous puma? Anyone ever seen this happen? Sorry, didn't think to take pictures at the time.
Need pics to assess and postulate what creature forensics might be at play.
 
I've seen sows with chunks of hide bitten out of their backs from boars breeding them. Never seen a wound like that on a ham though. Interesting. Could a hawk or owl been digging at it maybe? I've seen deer chewed on a little by owls when I've shot them and waited a few hours after dark to retrieve them. I'm genuinely curious.
 
Was your brother able to see the side that has the wound when he shot it? Could it have been wounded some time before he got arrowed?
 
East Texas so not likely a chupacabra. More likely a rougarou.
 
I've seen sows with chunks of hide bitten out of their backs from boars breeding them. Never seen a wound like that on a ham though. Interesting. Could a hawk or owl been digging at it maybe? I've seen deer chewed on a little by owls when I've shot them and waited a few hours after dark to retrieve them. I'm genuinely curious.
It was still daylight, circle looked clean as though cut away, no pecks or digs, very smooth indeed.
 
Was your brother able to see the side that has the wound when he shot it? Could it have been wounded some time before he got arrowed?
Well, it was clean of any blood, but fresh, no scabbing or attempted healing.
 
Going out on a limb here… Other hogs, buzzards, maybe a bobcat.
Do cats start eating at the rump? Do they make clean excisions? I think Hunter Habib said tigers would always start to eat there. Hadn't thought bobcat, hmmm.
 
Photos would help. The way you describe it, it's quite unusual.
Anything out of the ordinary deserves a photo anyway
 
20231011_213738.jpg
 
Definitely a Chupacabra that migrated from South Texas.
Was the spot at an arrow entry or exit

I’m with @Bullthrower338 - definitely a chupacabra
I’m with @Bullthrower338 - definitely a chupacabra
East Texas so not likely a chupacabra. More likely a rougarou.

Let's get serious it wasn't a chupacsbra, nor a rougarou. It was a eastern sasquatch. Seeing the dead hog and only looking for a snack, this eastern sasquatch, using their knapped stone knife, just cut a "snack size" piece of the better meat from the hog.:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, it would be nice if the OP could provide us with a picture so we could try to make a serious theoretical assumption of what removed a good piece of ham.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,276
Messages
1,571,405
Members
169,351
Latest member
JasmineDas
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top