steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
We are perplexed: my brother stuck an arrow in a feral pig while deer hunting, so did not come down from the tree stand for a while (still waiting on deer). When we tracked the blood trail we came upon the pig laying under pine trees on the usual bed of pine needles--so no observable tracks around. The question is, what ate a perfect circle of flesh from one ham--it was dished out in shape and as clean cut at if a knife had been used. Just a plate sized, 2 inch shallow portion of missing flesh, with the hide and hair gone, just so cleanly removed, and any blood apparently licked away.
The question is, what did it? What could cut it out so smoothly? It was east Texas, so maybe the infamous puma? Anyone ever seen this happen? Sorry, didn't think to take pictures at the time.

Definitely a Chupacabra that migrated from South Texas.
Was the spot at an arrow entry or exit?

We are perplexed: my brother stuck an arrow in a feral pig while deer hunting, so did not come down from the tree stand for a while (still waiting on deer). When we tracked the blood trail we came upon the pig laying under pine trees on the usual bed of pine needles--so no observable tracks around. The question is, what ate a perfect circle of flesh from one ham--it was dished out in shape and as clean cut at if a knife had been used. Just a plate sized, 2 inch shallow portion of missing flesh, with the hide and hair gone, just so cleanly removed, and any blood apparently licked away.
The question is, what did it? What could cut it out so smoothly? It was east Texas, so maybe the infamous puma? Anyone ever seen this happen? Sorry, didn't think to take pictures at the time.
Need pics to assess and postulate what creature forensics might be at play.

I've seen sows with chunks of hide bitten out of their backs from boars breeding them. Never seen a wound like that on a ham though. Interesting. Could a hawk or owl been digging at it maybe? I've seen deer chewed on a little by owls when I've shot them and waited a few hours after dark to retrieve them. I'm genuinely curious.

Maybe even a coyote. That should narrow down the list of predators in the state.

Was your brother able to see the side that has the wound when he shot it? Could it have been wounded some time before he got arrowed?

East Texas so not likely a chupacabra. More likely a rougarou.

I've seen sows with chunks of hide bitten out of their backs from boars breeding them. Never seen a wound like that on a ham though. Interesting. Could a hawk or owl been digging at it maybe? I've seen deer chewed on a little by owls when I've shot them and waited a few hours after dark to retrieve them. I'm genuinely curious.
It was still daylight, circle looked clean as though cut away, no pecks or digs, very smooth indeed.

Was your brother able to see the side that has the wound when he shot it? Could it have been wounded some time before he got arrowed?
Well, it was clean of any blood, but fresh, no scabbing or attempted healing.

Going out on a limb here… Other hogs, buzzards, maybe a bobcat.
Do cats start eating at the rump? Do they make clean excisions? I think Hunter Habib said tigers would always start to eat there. Hadn't thought bobcat, hmmm.

Photos would help. The way you describe it, it's quite unusual.
Anything out of the ordinary deserves a photo anyway

20231011_213738.jpg

Definitely a Chupacabra that migrated from South Texas.
Was the spot at an arrow entry or exit

I’m with @Bullthrower338 - definitely a chupacabra
I’m with @Bullthrower338 - definitely a chupacabra
East Texas so not likely a chupacabra. More likely a rougarou.

Let's get serious it wasn't a chupacsbra, nor a rougarou. It was a eastern sasquatch. Seeing the dead hog and only looking for a snack, this eastern sasquatch, using their knapped stone knife, just cut a "snack size" piece of the better meat from the hog.:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, it would be nice if the OP could provide us with a picture so we could try to make a serious theoretical assumption of what removed a good piece of ham.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayadelhi01

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.