Who is going where in 2018 or hoping to make plans for 2018

I’m looking forward to the water buffalo hunt with you in 2019. Sounds like a grand time!
At my age I’ve got to make the most of every year! Waisted too much of my life already not taking advantage of each and every day! Although if today is my last, it’s been a great run! I just wish everyone could be as lucky as I have been!

At my age I’m going to start filling my wish bucket. I figure you come back recycled.

Headed for Manitoba in November in search of a big whitetail and a bonus wolf if the opportunity presents itself.

Headed for Manitoba in November in search of a big whitetail and a bonus wolf if the opportunity presents itself.

I reckon hunting a wolf would sure take some skill. I guess the wolf might start staking you! Joking

I have always dreamed of taking a wolf! Best of luck!

I reckon hunting a wolf would sure take some skill. I guess the wolf might start staking you! Joking

Water buffalo will stalk hunters but not often I hear. But don’t count on it. A vigilant watch is required. Ridgewalker, we may even get a chance to hunt dingoes.

. Ridgewalker, we may even get a chance to hunt dingoes.
Perfect! Water buff and dingo! That would be outstanding!

Perfect! Water buff and dingo! That would be outstanding!

And numerous nasty hogs! Many crocs but not able to shoot them as they’re now protected.
Personally I think we need to be protected.
Baby crocs can now be kept until they reach 50 cms (18 or so inches ) then have to be returned the croc farm.
I can just see that working!!
Some will escape into suburban areas.

Headed for first time to South Africa to hunt Numzaan safari with my longtime friend who won the hunt at an auction in Alaska where he lives. Plane tickets on Qatar airlines booked and paid for, leaving out of KC on 3/18 to Chicago, then to Doha for 10 hour layover, then into JBerg on 3/20 by 11:00am for 5 days hunting, then back same route. Hoping to get an Impala and unsure on 2nd animal, kind of depends on what Africa gives me and what budget allows. Buddy is determined to get a porcupine and doesn't care what other species he bags (unsure why the porcupine, but its his #1 target).

Planning to hit Cambano on way back to airport to get some souvenirs (on top of whatever I pick up at Souq Waqif in Doha on layover). Family has been great at helping for Xmas gifts and donating cash to the cause.

From reading through the thread, looks like a few first timers this year! Congrats to all and we look forward to the reports (and all the reports from everyone for that matter)!

Limpopo in May, taking 10 first timers and a friend that has been several times. At DSC looking to research, either Alaska Brown bear, Namibia Leopard, or New Zealand red deer/thar in 2019 0r 2020. Look forward to everyone’s pictures and hunt reports. Merry Christmas!

AZDAVE: For Alaska Brown bear, at DSC, you might check out Butch King with Wildman Lake Outfitter (http://www.wildalaskahunting.com/index.php). I did a spring bear hunt with them in 2014, did not get a bear, but would hunt with them again (if it weren't so expensive!!!). The hunt area is way down the Alaska Peninsula, almost to Cold Bay. You and a guide will be flown to a remote spike camp and live in a tent for 10-12 days. This is more a mentally tough hunt and not too physically challenging. Long, long days of "sit on your ass and glass."

Another brown bear outfitter I am looking at, different part of Alaska, is Afognak Wilderness Lodge http://www.huntafognak.com/index.html. Afognak is an island right next to Kodiak Island. Hunt is from boats, scouting the shoreline and then going ashore for the stock. Back to the lodge every night for a hot meal and hot shower. Yes, Africa has spoiled me and turned me soft!

I’m headed back to South Africa with one of my sons in May with Koos DeMeyer and his son Cobus with Kuche Safaris for two weeks, we hunted with them in 2015 and can’t wait to get back. Whitetail’s in the fall in Ohio and in my home state, upstate N.Y. Fishing in February in Key West and wild Boar in October in South Carolina.

It is great seeing all the guys going for there first time. I am sure some more will add to this thread after the shows with some good hunts booked there.

I'm headed back to SA for blue wildebeest, and other plains game last of May first week of June.

Any suggestions on rifle caliber for the wildebeest? I was planning on using my 30-06 with 180gr or 200gr soft points.

Any suggestions on rifle caliber for the wildebeest? I was planning on using my 30-06 with 180gr or 200gr soft points.

That will be a fine choice!

I’m headed back to South Africa with one of my sons in May with Koos DeMeyer and his son Cobus and Kuche Safaris for two weeks, we hunted with them in 2015 and can’t wait to get back. Whitetail’s in the fall in Ohio and in my home state, upstate N.Y. Fishing in February in Key West and wild Boar in October in South Carolina.

Back to Namibia in feb of 2019, but this year going to St. Louis cardinals spring training! Another check on the bucket list. July arctic lodges on reindeer lake in northern Saskatchewan for giant pike!!

IMG_0614.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to Namibia in feb of 2019, but this year going to St. Louis cardinals spring training! Another check on the bucket list. July arctic lodges on reindeer lake in northern Saskatchewan for giant pike!!

I love Reindeer Lake! We try to go every year!

Ill be finishing my trophy room addtion to start placing my 2017 hunt with pawprints so funds are tighter this year. But ill be planning a buff/sable combo back with peiters team for 2019. Will prob go on an eider hunt up in MA for a couple days. Low key year. Along with goose and duck locally. Whitetail as well. Had a tough time staying motivated whitetail this season after coming back from RSA!

I'm headed back to SA for blue wildebeest, and other plains game last of May first week of June.

JMO, but I believe it will work well as long as they are Premium bullets. No Winchester Power Points as an example of “too soft”. Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frame, etc should work great. At maybe 50 yards and quartering toward me, my 300WM drove a 180 NP front to back stopping just under the skin. BWs are very tough PG!
Good luck!

Thanks for the info Ridgewalker. I'll begin testing reloads with the A frames.
What is your option of the Hornady interlock soft point and round nose in 180gr?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg