Who is going where in 2018 or hoping to make plans for 2018

Thanks for the info Ridgewalker. I'll begin testing reloads with the A frames.
What is your option of the Hornady interlock soft point and round nose in 180gr?

Stick with the aframes over anything hornady makes or I have had good look with barnes ttsx in 180 grain. Have taken two black wildebeest and 2 blues with those 2 bullets

Thanks for the info Ridgewalker. I'll begin testing reloads with the A frames.
What is your option of the Hornady interlock soft point and round nose in 180gr?
I’ll have to agree with everyone else above, but I have taken several elk using 165 & 180 Interlocks. However, I’d prefer a tougher bullet for Africa game. The Barnes are very good in my experience, but in a 30-06 I’d lean toward the 168 gr just because you get more velocity out of it to help with the expansion of the mono bullet.
Please review Ballisticstudies.com and you’ll see some examples.
What ever you use, practice, practice, practice from sticks until you can hit an 8” target consistently! That’s your max range!
Also I walk/jog to the 100yd or meter target and back, then see how long it takes me to recoup to where I can hit that target. Mostly I use my CZ452 22WinMag for this sort of practice.
At 70 yrs it’s not an easy thing to practice, but I think it helps.
Best of luck on what ever you decide!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Thanks to all for the info.

This year (2017) my first trip to SA for PG using my 30-06 taking kudu (2), hartebeast, springbuck, impala, and blesbuck using Hornady 165gr SST atop 49.0gr of IMR 4064 powder.

Used a 150gr PSP on a warthog.

IMO the PSP preformed better than the SST.

Kudu was my farthest shot at 175(+/-) yards. Closest shots: warthog, springbuck and blesbuck were inside 70 yards.

Thus the question on caliber, bullet type and weight against a wildebeest.

Don't mean to offend anyone. But practice hitting an 8 inch target??

Only with my 4 inch, 44 mag, iron sights and 6.8 SPC (needs a better pistol scope) at 100 yds.

With the high powered rifles, out to 200 yds: I like to keep 5 shot groups inside a 1 1/2 inch circle off sticks (preferably, have all shots touching, not 5 for 5 (groups).,.yet: only off the bench:... No benches in the bush).

I'm having a hard time.......Thought about going to SCI and looking at the auction hunts to try and go this year.... So many good choices..... I hate being undecided....... Bruce
Bruce
We recommend you read some hunt report, view websites, talk to references, but most of all: YOU must be comfortable in your decision.
Visit us at SCI, booth 560.
Kowas team

I was hoping to make it back in 2018, but unexpected expenses (BIG unexpected expenses!!!), deaths in the family, and a family member with cancer and other issues will make it less probable. Will plan on 2019 now and hope that things will turn around this year for the better, since things have gotten a little worse every year since 2015.:(
Mr. 16 gauge
You are in our thoughts and prayers. We hope that 2018 would be a blessed year for you and your loved ones.
Let us know where and how we could be of assistance in the planning process of a potential 2019 safari.

Certainly no offense taken on my part! If I could consistently hit a 1 1/2” circle off sticks at 200 yards, I’d be elated! 8” is a typical kill zone, “vital triangle”.
The longer the distance, the slower the bullet, the better it holds together and penetrates to the vitals. But a 25 yard encounter in heavy bushveld at near muzzle velocity is different, thus my dislike of non-Premium Bullets.
I only write of my experience and opinion. If anyone else has had good luck with softer bullets, Hor SST, Interlock, Win PP, etc. they may have made better shots into softer areas, or longer range shots impacting at lower velocities.
You’re certainly right a Blue Wildebeest (“poor man’s buffalo”) is a lot tougher than the smaller thinner antelope. That said, a Hor SST will kill one at most ranges if hit in soft tissue vital zone. I’d prefer a premium, deep penetrating bullet on something that may cost me $1,000 whether I find it or not and maybe improve my odds.
JMO good luck on what ever you decide. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

My wife is undergoing chemotherapy, so no plans for 2018.
But, being an optimist, who knows, maybe a short late season hunt somewhere in Africa...
You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Stay optimistic...

Hoping to catch something in the deal and offers section I can't pass up. It'll be a first trip so I'm open to a lot of options.
CEO
Enjoy the planning process - you never know what you come accross.
Visit us at www.kowasadventure.com to view our packages on offer.
The Kowas team stand by to assist you in the planning process...

I have a big 2018 planned after working my butt off in 2017!...... and Sun City....
Tim
Dear Tim
When would you be in Sun City? We go there on a yearly basis. During 2018, it would be 24 - 30 September 2018...
Enjoy the planning process of your upcoming safari excursion with the family.
You are in our thoughts.
Ansie

I have nothing booked for 2018 ... I am planning a trip with my youngest son and putting a group together ... There is nothing like that first safari experience in Africa and I’d love to share that with others....
Blessings,
Philip
Philip
Enjoy the planning process of your safari - it forms a huge FUN part of the safari.
View our affordable and economical packages at www.kowasadventure.com
Stop by at our booth in Dallas, Denver and/or Las Vegas.

Myself and my brother will be hunting the Limpopo in April/May with kuche safaris. First safari and we are pumped!
Thanks to all of you on AH for all the info and reports that keep us excited!

well, god willing,

i am going to guide a brown bear hunt in may. then, camp with family and fish all summer. then, hunt moose, caribou and bear with my family. then, travel to south africa to hunt with WOW africa to hunt cape buffalo. i will probably shoot a bush pig or wart hog as well.

then will finish 2018 by hunting my goshawk and catching ducks, geese and snow shoe hares. other than that.....not much. :)

Perfect time of year for SA. You will have a ball. Good luck and remember, if you watch the clock it clicks two seconds forward, then one back. :mad: In the meantime, practice with your rifle(s).(y)

Yessir. I've settled on 30-06 with 180 gr Barnes TTSX. Ordered 400 rounds of 180 gr fmj to burn just for practice. And got a set of sticks to shoot off of.

Well I had planned a trip back to RSA for June but unfortunately it’s not going to happen. So doesn’t look like I’ll be going anywhere

...but unfortunately it’s not going to happen.../QUOTE]
Never give up...you never know how life plays out, perhaps another door will open...

My wife is headed back to SA in March. I MAY be going with her. I'm still not sure yet though. We have talked about having her father tag along instead of me on this trip. He has been an avid hunter his entire life and has never been on safari. I think it would be a great chance for them to do a once in a lifetime hunt together and get some quality time in before he reaches the point in life where something like this would be out of the question for him. If for some reason he cant/wont go, I'm sure I'll tag along and chase some plains game with her :)

We're also considering ducks in Peru in either May or June but havent booked anything yet.. we'd like to combine it with a hiking vacation at Machu Picchu.

Im sure we'll do all the other "normal" hunts in NA that we typically do as well.. elk in colorado, whitetail in either TN or TX, hogs in TX, as well as a few upland bird and waterfowl hunts in TX as well... Typically we do at least 1 "exotic" TX hunt every year and have talked about adding turkey to the menu in 2018 also.. If we do end up chasing an exotic this year I'm thinking we'll either go after free range nilgai or I'd really like to give chasing a free range aoudad a try..

I should have known better than to post in this thread before DSC.. the damn show gets me every year and punches a hole in my wallet..

The SA plains game hunt in March is still on.. I’m now going for sure with my wife rather than my father in law..

The “maybe” for Peru is now a definite.. we booked with Chaku Peru this afternoon.. will be chasing ducks there...

And now somehow we have added another Argentina trip into the mix.. will be going back for dove.. but are also adding in blackbuck and buffalo this time.. booked that one this afternoon also with Argentina’s Best Hunting (same guys we just hunted with in November.. we had a great time with them.. the wife liked it so much that she booked with them again and told me about it after the fact )...

Next year I am avoiding the DSC show like the plague and refusing to let my wife go too... otherwise I’ll be eating ramen and mac and cheese in my retirement years lol...

If the hunts werent bad enough.. I couldnt escape the Barnes booth either.. or the @African Sporting Creations booth.. or the boyt booth... etc..etc..

Ended up leaving with bags of stuff that I had no intention of purchasing at all when I first stepped foot into the convention center lol... .

Last edited:
Leaving on the 9th for Cameroon with Mayo Oldiri and Eland is on the menu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!