"Who Builds a Magnificent 500 Jeffery"?

This is a proverbial thought for now, more of a future wish perhaps.
Really good information on everyone's behalf, "A slip on Limbsaver", great advice.

Unfortunately, an actual African Hunt doesn't look favorable in the foreseeable future but will never discredit it. I'm still astonished with the cartridge, against the Nitro's & others in practice & NA Game, period.

Addl: None of the big bores here have optics, in the event I want to part with them, & simply prefer irons before my eyes go. That probably wouldn't jive for a 1st time hunt in SA. which leads to another question: What is the difference between a SSB & a DSB ?

The AHR, the loads it came with & Regulated by Wayne is dialed in. The Sako, 50 Norma's later, I don't even know if I'm hitting anything with it! Love it, Just make other people shoot it ;
The Stock, it reminds me of a Red Rider bolted to an Exon Oil Pipe!

butt.jpg

Verney Carron, apx. 7 mins in. 500J. For the ever-loving grace of God!

Beautiful rifle. Wayne does wonderful work as did his predecessor Ed Plummer. Harlan Satrang converted my CZ 550 in 375 H&H to 500 Jeffery. Wayne did his CZ#1 Upgrade to it. I'm very happy with it. If the LOP is bit to short for you, may I suggest putting a slip on Limbsaver recoil pad when you are at the range or hunting then taking it off when it's home. That's what I do, I have long arms, the little bit of extra padding doesn't hurt either.

full
I'll never forget this, the standard by which other CZ's are measured! Awesome!
Short of the appearance, can I ask what was all done to this?

I'd highly recommend Joe Smithson as a gun maker. And in terms of actions, you can't really do any better than a Granite Mountain Arms action. Best Mauser 98 based actions in the entire world, hands down.

I'd highly recommend Joe Smithson as a gun maker. And in terms of actions, you can't really do any better than a Granite Mountain Arms action. Best Mauser 98 based actions in the entire world, hands down.
Stunning example, .. Thank You,
5.jpg

No, I do Thank you, respectively.
I came across what I thought was "Jeffery", learned a great deal from a member here as it was built by Paul Roberts. In short, it was a "Jeffery" asking price & above my means anyhow.
There's a wealth of information I don't have, Comparing London guns, Dorleac & Dorleac, Wiebe, etc.

MNR was really receptive & beautiful examples.

Paul was building Jeffery rifles as he had the use of the name...he sourced it for Tom friedkin who then had Tanzania game tracker safaris. He bought it from another gun maker who had acquired it but wasn't using it...(the big name gunmakers bought some of the old names and sat on them) ...and Friedkin said you can use the name....now its used by someone in usa who builds them....so not sure why you put the Jeffery name in " "....as my Jeffery 9.3 double that Paul built was my favourite rifle...and up to couple of years ago the one making them now was still using photos of it in his booth at sci for promotional purposes...I did go and ask him for money for using the photos.... :E Big Grin: ...he got a bit mumbly in his response....:E Rofl:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.57.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.57.33 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.57.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.57.35 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.57.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.57.37 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.57.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.57.38 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.57.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.57.40 AM.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.57.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 7.57.42 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 78
In today's Builders, Heym, Ryan Breeding, VC, Davenport, Vector, hell, idk?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 7.02.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 7.02.38 AM.png
    734.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 7.02.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 7.02.39 AM.png
    456.7 KB · Views: 70
Thank You, I did see this & was curious on anyone's take?

Thank You, I did see this & was curious on anyone's take?
I can't give you an opinion on it other than its a very nice rifle, as I don't know much about 500 jeffery. I've handled it many times and if it were 416 rigby, I would've bought it already.

I'll never forget this, the standard by which other CZ's are measured! Awesome!
Short of the appearance, can I ask what was all done to this?

Sure, so when I first got it, it was a CZ 550 in 375 H&H from the CZ Custom Shop. It came with a barrel band, and I got a great deal on the upgraded stock. I think I paid about $1600 through Sportsman's Warehouse (I had a coupon lol). I then sent it to Wayne at AHR for their CZ #1 upgrade (single stage, match trigger, 3 position M70 type safety, and straighten and fill the bolt) about $500 back then. Finally, I decided I was unimpressed with the recoil (this being my first big bore) and sent it to Harlan Satrang at Triple River to be rechambered and rebarreled to 500 Jeffery (it has a 1 in 10" twist McGowan barrel). This also cost me about $500. That's when it got interesting. The rifle would miss feed occasionally. I sent it back to Harlan and he did some work on it, still not right, I sent it to Wayne and he polished the feed ramp, etc, still occasionally would not feed. Don't get me wrong both Harlan and Wayne are great gunsmiths, 500 Jeffery's can be a bear in this regard. Finally i did some reading and took it to Kevin Weaver, who is also excellent and happens to be local. He took a look at the fat 500 Jeffery cartridge, then machined the magazine follower to match it, and voila it is perfect! I guess in Mausers, everything has to be tailored to the specific cartridge. I can't say enough good things about Harlan, Wayne and Kevin. I think all of the gunsmithing (not counting shipping) was less than $200. Now it feeds and functions flawlessly, (slow, fast, upside down, etc), shoots well under 1 MOA, is balanced perfectly for me. It's my favorite rifle. Sorry to be so verbose.

Sure, so when I first got it, it was a CZ 550 in 375 H&H from the CZ Custom Shop. It came with a barrel band, and I got a great deal on the upgraded stock. I think I paid about $1600 through Sportsman's Warehouse (I had a coupon lol). I then sent it to Wayne at AHR for their CZ #1 upgrade (single stage, match trigger, 3 position M70 type safety, and straighten and fill the bolt) about $500 back then. Finally, I decided I was unimpressed with the recoil (this being my first big bore) and sent it to Harlan Satrang at Triple River to be rechambered and rebarreled to 500 Jeffery (it has a 1 in 10" twist McGowan barrel). This also cost me about $500. That's when it got interesting. The rifle would miss feed occasionally. I sent it back to Harlan and he did some work on it, still not right, I sent it to Wayne and he polished the feed ramp, etc, still occasionally would not feed. Don't get me wrong both Harlan and Wayne are great gunsmiths, 500 Jeffery's can be a bear in this regard. Finally i did some reading and took it to Kevin Weaver, who is also excellent and happens to be local. He took a look at the fat 500 Jeffery cartridge, then machined the magazine follower to match it, and voila it is perfect! I guess in Mausers, everything has to be tailored to the specific cartridge. I can't say enough good things about Harlan, Wayne and Kevin. I think all of the gunsmithing (not counting shipping) was less than $200. Now it feeds and functions flawlessly, (slow, fast, upside down, etc), shoots well under 1 MOA, is balanced perfectly for me. It's my favorite rifle. Sorry to be so verbose.
That was an excellent description, I Thank You for sharing.
All in good hands along the way, really well done ..

Attachments

• 2008 Joe Smithson : Granite Mountain Arms 500 Jeffery Bolt Action Big Game Safari Rifle for sale.pdf
    353.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thank You! .. i know a just a little about him through the surface web.
I consider my Ralph Martini as fine of bolt action that I own and I own some fine ones.

I would also consider Stuart Satterlee. He makes his own actions specific to caliber.Some gun makers think his actions are the best and need the least amount of work to build a custom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrickhunt

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.