Opposite Pole

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
Wow what a contrast! Extremely smoky vs extremely non-smoky. Of course as with most cocktails it depends on what you’re eating.
Both excellent choices!

Exactly. I’ve noticed I tend to go for more smoky, heavy ones when it’s raining, not really sure why.

geoff rath

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
RayB, and others: regrettably, whisk doesn't age in the bottle.My dear old departed Dad asked this question years back when touring in Scotland, and visiting various distilleries; they all said the same thing. Whiskies age as a result of the tannins/smoke/peat/ whatever is in the cask.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I shared office space with a fellow who was said to be a noted authority on beer and spirits. His research while I knew him was to travel to estate sales looking for old bottles of whiskey etc. His question was whether the taste would be different for a spirit made in the 20's and later. He would taste it to make sure we wouldn't go blind, and then share with the "committee". We would get a little lecture on aging, techniques and we would discuss the taste. It was a cool experience. He picked up one bottle of rye that was also featured for passengers on the Titanic. It was still good. Fun stuff.

6.8KLR

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada, Mexico-- USA, Missouri, New Mexico, Colorado, Michigan, Indiana, Arizona, California, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana
Jack Daniels if you please.........Cheers.

Timbo

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BGRC PFRC & SSAA
Hunted
Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa
Been given an early Chrissy present - a bottle of Limeburners Solara Infinity - and I'm enjoying a dram or three now. I assure you it's very smooth and velvety! Cheers! :A Thumbs Up:

mikeinarkansas

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
I have been busy copying some of the scotch whisky noted on here to try out. Because I'm fairly unsophisticated when it comes to such things. There is usually Famous Grouse scotch or Monkey Shoulder scotch in the cabinet. Along with Makers Mark on the bourbon side. On the other hand not much beats an ice cold beer on a hot day!

Timbo

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BGRC PFRC & SSAA
Hunted
Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa
James Joyce once said: "The light music of whiskey falling into a glass - an agreeable interlude."

cem rona ergin

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
south africa,russia,turkey
IMG_1700.JPG
Look what Santa brought:)

Kowas Adventure Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
kowasadventure.com
Media
Articles
Member of
NAPHA, DSC, SCI
Hunted
NAMIBIA and ZIMBABWE and SOUTH AFRICA
With a drop of Scottish blood running through my veins, I treat myself to a bottle of single malt every Christmas. This year's choice is Oban 14 year old, and I plan to have my first dram in front of the fire tonight, after a trip out to try for a roe. I'd be interested to hear what other AH members who enjoy a glass of whisky will be sampling over the festive season; slainte!
...is this restricted to only Christmas or does it apply for New Years also...?
ENJOY.

Last edited by a moderator:

geoff rath

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Any day, or night, or occasion is a suitable one to "tak a wee ram". The quote from my darling mother's Godmother, a proper Scottish Lady who would salt her porridge until it was sweet. As posted earlier, and supported by our good mate Timbo in Western Australia, Limeburners Single Cask Infinity Solera Cask. I think I will have one now . . .

geoff rath

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
The "good drop" is often hard to find; a bit like the hunt for a top trophy animal; much enjoyment in the chase. Pardon me, the wee dram I had earlier is making me wax poetical . . . We can spend a lifetime on the hunt for that perfect drop, lovely Lady, great hunt . . .

Lrntolive

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, SCI, NRA, WCF&W
With a drop of Scottish blood running through my veins, I treat myself to a bottle of single malt every Christmas. This year's choice is Oban 14 year old, and I plan to have my first dram in front of the fire tonight, after a trip out to try for a roe. I'd be interested to hear what other AH members who enjoy a glass of whisky will be sampling over the festive season; slainte!
Enjoy that Oban, correctly pronounced O-ben. When I visited their distillery, they made sure I pronounced it correctly.

My personal preference is the Glenfiddich 21 or 18. I went to their distillery, also. Great family run distillery.

There are many others I like, most recently Loch Lomond Inchmurrin 12. Not bad for a 12.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Winston Churchill (as he usually did) had the best comment on spirits. Asked about his love of whisky, he replied - "I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.” I wholeheartedly concur.
I don't always drink a single malt, but when I do it is usually Talisker or Macallan - 18 in either. I do not care particularly for the heavy peat taste. Also sure to frustrate my British cousins, but I prefer it over a couple of cubes of ice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janessa78R

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J