Which rifle do we crown as the best looking ever?

It seems like the conversation. Went right to fancy custom rigs. Even your first post mr peacock regarding the ruger #1. That is not what they look like from the factory sitting on a peg in a retail store lol.

For “production” or “semi production “ rifles that come off the line in large batches and look good it would be hard to argue the kimber caprivi, or the original African model. But the best looking production rifle in American history imo would have to be the Dakota 76. They built a whole lot of them.
Hi @uplander01 I was thinking of a production Ruger No1, my rifle, the one I posted the photo of is absolutely standard. I also like the Kimber Caprivi, the shape is perfect and the walnut they use is a great colour.

If modern and production, Dakota Model 10. If modern and custom, a Hartmann and Weiss.

If vintage, the original Gibbs Farquarson single shot is way up there. So is a Dickson Round Action Double rifle. So too a pre-war Rigby stalking rifle on a Mauser 98 action. For shotguns, a MacNaughton skeleton.

For true vintage, a Joseph Manton pre-1835 percussion or flintlock double rifle made by Manton and his apprentices in the shop at the time, Purdey, Lancaster, Boss, and Greener.

15FCDEA8-6F7B-4C11-95B4-B1D2E05E8ED3.jpeg

W
If modern and production, Dakota Model 10. If modern and custom, a Hartmann and Weiss.

If vintage, the original Gibbs Farquarson single shot is way up there. So is a Dickson Round Action Double rifle. So too a pre-war Rigby stalking rifle on a Mauser 98 action. For shotguns, a MacNaughton skeleton.

For true vintage, a Joseph Manton pre-1835 percussion or flintlock double rifle made by Manton and his apprentices in the shop at the time, Purdey, Lancaster, Boss, and Greener.

View attachment 447514
Wow that is beautiful, is that a typical Dacota Model 10?

W

Wow that is beautiful, is that a typical Dacota Model 10?

@Kevin Peacocke there are as many varieties of Model 10s as there are stars in the sky. The deluxe models had drop points on the stocks and an ebony forend tip. Mine has exhibition wood, 32 lpi checkering, and color cased hardened receiver, grip cap, and scope rings. Many variations. Its a more refined action than the Ruger number 1 but they are also a smaller action so there are no 470, 500, or 577 customs built on model 10s.

I like the Heym 88B Safari:

1642727260465.png

(KEVIN - Please never let me see an 89B!!!)

I also like the Weatherby Euromark, maybe a little too "California" for some folks:

1642727113957.png

The old Browning FN Safari is not too bad, even if it is shiny:

1642727044043.png

Last edited:
I don't know if you could beat a Ruger #1 , it's winning for me because I live in a very rural town and I run into guys with Ruger #1s on occasion so actually seeing them working is nice. And they are obviously beautiful rifles, one that anyone can own . Just my two cents lol

Hi,

About the FN Mausers, to me they are the second candidates after the Original Sporting Oberndorf Mausers. I prefer the FN De Luxe and Supremes over the Brownings iterations...

The most beautiful rifle I’ve ever seen is the Marlin Glenfield .22 LR semi auto I received from my dad on Christmas Day 1968. I‘ll remember it all my days. I can’t recall ever getting a gift….of any type….that excited me as much.

937FE34D-2FD6-4F09-99DC-830D19E75023.jpeg

The most beautiful rifle I’ve ever seen is the Marlin Glenfield .22 LR semi auto I received from my dad on Christmas Day 1968. I‘ll remember it all my days. I can’t recall ever getting a gift….of any type….that excited me as much.

View attachment 448097
Best answer yet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!