Which countries offer the most affordable Sheep/goat hunts?

Are you saying an outfitter/guide is not required for a non-resident to hunt these in NZ? You only need to buy the tags?
As far as I know as well that is correct. They are considered invasive non native species and NZ wants them killed

Are you saying an outfitter/guide is not required for a non-resident to hunt these in NZ? You only need to buy the tags?
Yes , there aren't tags in New Zealand and you don't need outfitter, is alone go in your own although you are non resident, you can shoot what ever you want, without limits of animals, some people kill 6-8 chamois in one day , same with tahrs.. they are considered like a pest, is not the best hunting manage... But the true is that the population of animals is awesome. Only what you need is buy the hunting licences that are like 100-200 usd

So I'm compiling a list of various options for international mountain hunts, any species or regions that should be added to the below that stand out as great value?

1. New Zealand - Tahr, chamois, wild goat.

2. Kyrgistan/ Tajikistan - Marco Polo Sheep and Ibex

3. Romania - Chamois

4. Croatia - Chamois

5. Spain - Ibex (grand slam), chamois,

6. Majority of continental Europe - Mouflon

7. Texas - free range Auodad

Last edited:
In Spain you can add also Mouflon , Barbary sheep both in free range.
Finally we have also , Balerian Boc is like a feral goat I really don't like it and his hunt is easy but the landscape is beautiful and Maiorca island is a great destination to combine summer holidays with the wife.

So I'm compiling a list of various options for international mountain hunts, any species or regions that should be added to the below that stand out as great value?

1. New Zealand - Tahr, chamois, wild goat.

2. Kyrgistan/ Tajikistan - Marco Polo Sheep and Ibex

3. Romania - Chamois

4. Croatia - Chamois

5. Spain - Ibex (grand slam), chamois,

6. Majority of continental Europe - Mouflon

7. Texas - free range Auodad

For value you can add:

Croatia for Mouflon.

Slovenia for Alpine Chamois. I’ve heard Mouflon too, but not 100% sure on that.

Austria, Alpine Ibex and Chamois.

Texas, if you can get a draw tag, Desert Big Horn. Landowners tag it’s expensive.

Yes , there aren't tags in New Zealand and you don't need outfitter, is alone go in your own although you are non resident, you can shoot what ever you want, without limits of animals, some people kill 6-8 chamois in one day , same with tahrs.. they are considered like a pest, is not the best hunting manage... But the true is that the population of animals is awesome. Only what you need is buy the hunting licences that are like 100-200 usd

You also have to be careful walking down the street, it’s easy to trip on the gold nuggets that are just laying around. I once tripped on one and fell onto a beautiful Kiwi maiden….

Would Carpathian chamois be of interest? A number of us hunted red stag with Marius in Romania last fall. It was outstanding. His pricing on chamois has me thinking seriously about it.
I’ll second that, Marius is a top notch outfitter and the Carpathian Mountains absolutely stunning. I think this is a great value mountain hunt.

I haven’t left the U.S. for sheep yet. Europe for Mouflan is in my list after I get back from Africa next month. But for 5-6k aoudad in far west Texas are a great option. It’s a sheep hunt on a lot of properties. Some property has a decent road system to help you get around but you will be hiking.

I’ve taken a nice 30” ram and a few ewes over the years.

IMG_1190.jpeg

I assume the hunt on the link below will be "affordable" if you're in shape for August and don't mind traveling to Russia. I've hunted sheep, for me, 6 times now. 3 guided and 3 not, so I hope this is a bit helpful. AK Dall is likely your most affordable currently (but, they've had some tough winters recently), next may be Canada for Rockies or Dall, then old Mexico for Desert (I've seen some of these going for 40k on auction sites recently). They've done a good job on population management.

Bottom line is (1) apply and hope the gods smile upon you, or (2) do a guided hunt (I don't see them coming down in price), or (3) purchase an auction tag.

Good luck bro. - I've been putting in for numerous states as well as buying tickets for every sheep raffle I could find for about 25 years now.

Kamchatka was high on my list before Putin moved from douche bag to Atomic douche bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
68ok9

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25