Which calibre

Good insight there re the ammo. Is it standard practice to land with just a rifle and buy ammo once on the ground? Then check zero etc?

Good insight there re the ammo. Is it standard practice to land with just a rifle and buy ammo once on the ground? Then check zero etc?

I believe the OP said he borrowed the rifles from his PH. Bringing your rifle with you isn't difficult, but it does require some time and patience, so some hunters opt to borrow rifles from the outfitter.

I am sure it has been done, but I can't imagine bringing a rifle but no ammo. On my recent trip I brought two rifles and ample hand loads for each. Rifles can be finicky with different loads, and I sure wouldn't want to show up on an expensive hunt and take a chance that my rifle would perform adequately with whatever ammo I could source locally.

Sounds like the outfitter should have saved even more ammo and reloaded a few 300gr Woodleighs.

He commented that he won't reload because of liability concerns giving clients reloaded ammo.

No not at all.

We borrowed the camp rifles so didn't bring ammo. I did not realize I could bring ammo without bringing a rifle or it may have been worth it. Although Cody and I stopped at a gun shop in Darwin to look around and they had a pretty good selection of ammo. So we could have just bought a box here.

I did not bring my own guns because I'm staying an extra 2 weeks and visiting various States. Australia is just too big a pain and risk to haul guns around that much.

Except to be one of the nostalgic calibers of old Africa;)

@Franko If you want to stick with CZ, go with one of their standard calibers. Sounds to me like you are going to want a 416 Rigby.

I was just on a water buff hunt in the NT and borrowed rifles. The outfitter had 375's and an open sighted 458 win mag. After many shots on the first buff with the 375 and finishing him with the 458, I just used the open sighted 458 for the next 3 bulls.

However the issue was not the caliber, but the Federal blue box 270 grain ammo that just would not penetrate. The outfitter was saving money by having clients use 6 or 7 shots of $100/box ammo rather than buying premium ammo for $190 and taking a buff with one, two, or maybe 3 shots..... It takes penetration.
Your guide sounds incredibly unethical, for the ridiculous prices guides charge for buffalo these days surely he can afford premium ammunition.

Your guide sounds incredibly unethical, for the ridiculous prices guides charge for buffalo these days surely he can afford premium ammunition.
I wouldn't go that far, more like uninformed on bullets, ballistics, and their performance on bulls.

A point he made was that he always knows he can go to town and buy a box of Federal blue box 270, other ammo availability can be more sporadic. So he could just sight in for that.

I would counter that with better planning ahead he could keep a supply on hand of good stuff.

At least we did not lose a buffalo over it. Did have to track one down but that happens.

I'm told the locals shoot them with a 308. That seems a bit unethical.

a 375 has a fair bit more power then a 9.3 (300gr at 2500fps vs 286gr at 2200fps). both will work though so as long as its legal and your shooting skill is up to snuff the 9.3 will be fine.

but I prefer bigger guns and knowing what I know today I would use a 416 RM with a light fast mono-metal bullet.

-matt
Actually 2350fps Nosler ammo in 9.3

I wouldn't go that far, more like uninformed on bullets, ballistics, and their performance on bulls.

A point he made was that he always knows he can go to town and buy a box of Federal blue box 270, other ammo availability can be more sporadic. So he could just sight in for that.

I would counter that with better planning ahead he could keep a supply on hand of good stuff.

At least we did not lose a buffalo over it. Did have to track one down but that happens.

I'm told the locals shoot them with a 308. That seems a bit unethical.
Agree to disagree on these points then

Good to know, thanks Matt. A search of CZ available in Aus showed two variants of their DG rifles and only two cals 375 and 458 w.m. slim pickings over here. I may need to re-barrel or import one in 416RM.

Have never been a fan of Winchesters, just never really grabbed me when I handled them, but at least they are available here.
CZ only makes the 416 in the Rigby. They did make it in the Rem but stopped in 08 I believe. If I can find one I will buy it

There's a 416 ruger on ozgunsales for $1500
And a 416 Taylor for $1800 on usedguns.

Both in ruger

Edit: in actual fact theres a sheet load of various 416s on used guns

If you have a 9.3 I'd have though going .40 something would have been better. (At least that's what I did!)

Agree to disagree on these points then
I do agree with your comments that for prices charged, he could supply premium ammo. But I further contended to him that premium ammo would ultimately be less cost because less than half the follow up shots needed.

I do have a picture of him;)
IMG-20180611-WA0004.jpg

Regardless of the cartridge used you had better make damn sure the firearm and ammo work well together.
Getting the practice you need with the gun you are going to use is not possible with a rental or camp gun.
Your life is on the line when you go into the field looking for DG.
You would be wise prepare like it.
Pinching pennies at this point does not seem like the best course of action, but that is just my opinion.

Not sure if that's aimed at me but I can guarantee you that if I step foot on African soil, I will come prepared!

Yes but it's still a Zebra. Do you want a good Whitetail to hang. I have one.

Not sure if that's aimed at me but I can guarantee you that if I step foot on African soil, I will come prepared!
Not aimed at you Franco.
Just stating that a rifle for a DG hunt is not the place to skimp.

Many countries require a 375 as minimum. The 375 is not that big a recoiler but I personally would suggest a 416 in say Remington magnum or Rigby.

Note that the recoil climbs very dramatically above the 375.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!