Which .416 Rigby?

I prefer the Sako myself as I have a number of them
I wouldn’t want to risk feeding problems when hunting dangerous game

I bought a .416 Rigby RSM a couple months ago, just taking it to the range today or tomorrow will let you know how it goes.

I have the same set up as you, the 375H&H safari M70 and a RSM came up for a great price and I couldn't pass up on it. I'm happy with it and it shoots well.

HOWEVER, Given your in the USA and have access to AHR. I would serriously consider the CZ550 and AHR upgrade. Dont get me wrong I'm happy with my Ruger but for $3500+/- you're getting a brand new Mauser, Double Square bridge, semi custom DG rifle. And from all reports they do a fantastic Job.

cheers
TW

@mdwest and @MikeDeltaFoxtrot . A Model 70 .375 and .416 Rem action is a long action, not magnum. The RSM is longer. The RSM on all three of the issued calibers is a magnum length action. The African Express may be a magnum action as they made a .416 Rigby one year. I have never seen one of these, but I sure would like to own one. M 70s medium and large calibers and RSMs are all great rifles for the price. Never owned a CZ so can't comment about them.
RSM .375 on the left, M 70 .375 on the right
RSM vs M 70 Action.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same set up as you, the 375H&H safari M70 and a RSM came up for a great price and I couldn't pass up on it. I'm happy with it and it shoots well.

HOWEVER, Given your in the USA and have access to AHR. I would serriously consider the CZ550 and AHR upgrade. Dont get me wrong I'm happy with my Ruger but for $3500+/- you're getting a brand new Mauser, Double Square bridge, semi custom DG rifle. And from all reports they do a fantastic Job.

cheers
TW
Hi Wanderer...If I understand your post correctly, you are saying that the CZ upgrade for $3500 +or- includes a Mauser double square bridge Magnum action? I would suggest one of us is misunderstanding here and it could be me. A new Mauser double square bridge Magnum action alone cost well above $3500.

Heym express safari magnum 1997. Pre-Martini. Excelente. El que aparece en mi fotografía. Tengo, también, dos Mauser M03 en .375 y .404 Jeffery, pero me quedo con el primero

Not one of your original choices and about $500 over your budget, but take a look at the Montana Rifle Company's Seven Continents Rifle. Very similar to your M70 action. I don't have this model but I like Montana rifles. Good quality and accurate.

I have a Winchester 70 416 Rem Mag. It feeds absolutely flawlessly and is one of the most accurate rifles I own. No work was needed at all. I know the Rigby is the more classic cartridge, but the Rem Mag is much more affordable to shoot, and has less recoil at similar levels of power. 2300-2400 fps is all you need for buffalo, and that level of power is easily achieved with around 75-80 grains of suitable powder. Whereas the Rigby burns over 100 grains to achieve the same velocities.
That said, I love Sakos as well, and I've been eyeing the Brown Bear for some time.

Hi Wanderer...If I understand your post correctly, you are saying that the CZ upgrade for $3500 +or- includes a Mauser double square bridge Magnum action? I would suggest one of us is misunderstanding here and it could be me. A new Mauser double square bridge Magnum action alone cost well above $3500.

G'day Seirraone. Sorry for the confusion! No what I was eluding to is that the MSRP according to CZ USA site is $1215 for a Safari Magnum in 416 Rigby. Add the AHR CZ upgrade grade (option 2), and it comes in at just over 3k US for a brand new DG rifle I said the 3.5K to allow a for few extra bits pieces.

The double bridge mauser action comes from reference to the CZ action, which my understanding is a copy/variant of the mauser DSB action- I could however be mistaken.

Hope this clears it up

TW

G'day Seirraone. Sorry for the confusion! No what I was eluding to is that the MSRP according to CZ USA site is $1215 for a Safari Magnum in 416 Rigby. Add the AHR CZ upgrade grade (option 2), and it comes in at just over 3k US for a brand new DG rifle I said the 3.5K to allow a for few extra bits pieces.

The double bridge mauser action comes from reference to the CZ action, which my understanding is a copy/variant of the mauser DSB action- I could however be mistaken.

Hope this clears it up

TW
Thanks Wanderer, now that makes sense to my feeble mind!!!

I have 4 Ruger RSM, 2 x 375 H&H, 1 x 416 Rigby, and 1 x450 Rigby. So you can surmise that I am happy with them and would stand in harms way with any of them.
I have three criticisms of the RSM:
1) They tend to need some action polishing on the rails, they feed well just not as smoothly as I would like.
2) They tend to be on the heavy side, if your packing it day in and day out this will grate on you.
3) They don't make them any more.

Just my 2cents
Pat

By way of update I purchased an unfired RSM in 416 Rigby. Picked it up today. Need to mount the scope and load a few rounds. I hope to shoot it this weekend.
IMG_1363.JPG

Very nice, congrats!

I like the grain on that wood.
Congrats.

Most RSMs are this good or better. Only occasionally is the wood on a RSM not outstanding!

Most RSMs are this good or better. Only occasionally is the wood on a RSM not outstanding!

Do you find that it relates in any way to the year of production? Based on the ones I looked it, it seemed like earlier production guns tended to have better wood, but I don't have a big enough sample to say for sure.

Do you find that it relates in any way to the year of production? Based on the ones I looked it, it seemed like earlier production guns tended to have better wood, but I don't have a big enough sample to say for sure.
I have owned five and currently own 4. I have a 90/91 .375 which is rather plain on the butt stock. I have a later model .416 where the forearm area is outstanding, but the butt stock is rather plain. The other three are all outstanding. One .375 converted to a .404, one .375 and one .416. I believe these last three to be all later models around 2010, but can't be sure. Keep in mind that when I say rather plain, that is still better than most of the standard walnut stocked rifles.

I have 2 RSM’s both have nice stocks. One is a 416 Rigby the other a 458 Lott

Many of the things that I read reek of the mentality that has brought us a classic like " The Crucible".

One says something and an entire gaggle of girls hike their skirts up, run around in circles while feigning the vapors and dropping water.

I have absolutely no idea of the numbers of rounds I have ran through rifles in my lifetime, but chances are that if I had to repeat that same number er again with the time I have left it couldn't be done.

Yes! I have seen malfunctions in cf and pf, but they were both due to extremely bad maintenance.

If you find a Sako at a good price then buy it, don't give it a second thought.

Though in all sincerity the one thing that you can't do with a pf is Jack a round in the chamber with the rifle upside down.

Which only makes them unpopular with apes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross