Which 40 cal Dangerous Game Caliber

That is a great choice. I have a No.1 in 416 Rigby and love it. I bought mine from "tarbe" who thoughtfully had a mercury recoil reducer installed. At 11.5 lbs. the recoil is manageable. Mind you, not something I want to shoot all day, but more than tolerable for a few shots.

That is a great choice. I have a No.1 in 416 Rigby and love it. I bought mine from "tarbe" who thoughtfully had a mercury recoil reducer installed. At 11.5 lbs. the recoil is manageable. Mind you, not something I want to shoot all day, but more than tolerable for a few shots.

At the same time I put in the mercury reducer, I also installed the Limbsaver pad.

Not sure which one made more impact...but both worthwhile additions to a Rigby!

I have a new red Decelerator sitting here waiting for the 450-400 to arrive. IMO, the factory Ruger pads are deficient for calibers above .375 recoil level. And the 450-400 is a little on the wispy side!

Hey thanks a lot. Just ordered 60 cases

Scheduled for delivery Monday. I was wondering can you load the 411 caliber bullets in the 450/400 or do they have to be 410?

Scheduled for delivery Monday. I was wondering can you load the 411 caliber bullets in the 450/400 or do they have to be 410?

It's nuts that there is a .410 and .411 in this day. Surely to Pete they could just standardize the 450/400 to .411, and that would mean bullet manufacturers could meet the call for the 405 Winchester and 450/400 (not to mention the incredibly popular 400 H&H) with one size. With lines of bullets being discontinued, there has to be an economy of scale there. Not sure why Hornady went to the .410. Just another reason I should be elected leader of the free world.

.411 works too.

Tim

My Lee Hand primer doesn't make a shell holder big enough for the 450/400 and the one on my old pacific press doesn't work. What priming tool would work. I think hornady uses the same shell holder in their priming tool as they do in their reloading press. Any suggestions a new press might be nice as mine is 40 years old.:Finger:

For my .404 Jeff I have to use the primer arm on my press, I also couldn't get the lee hand primer to fit.

Any suggestions a new press might be nice as mine is 40 years old.:Finger:

What that the intended emoji? :D

I find the Lee press and priming system very simple, and it works

Got mine working on the old press. Needed a good cleaning

My Lee Hand primer doesn't make a shell holder big enough for the 450/400 and the one on my old pacific press doesn't work. What priming tool would work. I think hornady uses the same shell holder in their priming tool as they do in their reloading press. Any suggestions a new press might be nice as mine is 40 years old.:Finger:

I'm using this nowadays...I am really liking it.

Much easier on the old joints!

precprim02.jpg

Yup.

But I still like the Rigby and Jeffery! :)

Makes me think of the legends of old when I hear those names.

They do cost more to feed though, that's for sure.

Let's face it,even if Rigby cartridges are a lot more, you probably don't go plinking tin cans with it.
The cost is small overall when you compare it to the cost of a hunt etc.
Enjoy your beaut toys

Does anyone know what holder I would need for the lee hand primer to prime 416 rigby?? Also is the hornady brass and dies for that matter any good?? I only ask as there is another thread about the dies no belling out the case enough.

Midway has a Lee shell holder for the Lee priming tool in 416 Rigby. It is the number 8 and is less than $4.

Midway has a Lee shell holder for the Lee priming tool in 416 Rigby. It is the number 8 and is less than $4.
Super thanks very much. Ive got 50 norma cases on order. Anyone know about the hornady dies?

The older style Lee Hand primer can be a bit small for the larger cases. While you can get a shellholder for them, the actual hand primer might need some ground off it above where the shell holder sits. Mine did when doing WSM, RUM cases, so I imagine the Rigby case will need even more.

Super thanks very much. Ive got 50 norma cases on order. Anyone know about the hornady dies?
All I know about hornady dies is that there cheaper. I got the 450/400 today.
0918171705.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheritaFow

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you