Which 40 cal Dangerous Game Caliber

Anyone know about the hornady dies?

I have several sets of Hornady dies, including 45-70 and 450-400 (I have loaded about 400 rounds so far with those two sets).

I have no complaints so far! They seem to be well made and a little nicer finished than my RCBS dies, but not quite as nice as Redding.

Tim

Will have to do that someday

Will have to do that someday
I want to set up some moving Buffalo targets on my place in Ozark County, ala SAAM Safari course.

That would have to be fun. Spend the day shooting the guns, then around the fire shooting the breeze!

That would be great practice. Waiting for my dies to come from Graf. I think I will try the 300 grain with the same load for the 500s. I seen a maximum load in a real guns article of 88gr. 4831sc for2310. I think I'll try 84 gr. With the 300 to sight it in. Then fine tune the 500

Got a package today. I will get her on paper with the hornady and save the a-frames for the final turning. If it works out May be my main load

A-Frames sure come packaged nice. I guess I paid for it.
0920171547.jpg
0920171545a.jpg

That's just given me an idea I might have some cuff links made with 416 bullets if there the right size.

I think I'd bore sight the rifle at 25 yards then shoot a couple of A Frames at that distance. Make whatever corrections are necessary and shoot a 50 yd. target. Assuming that you are reasonably close I'd move out to 75 or 100 yds. and finish zeroing the rifle. That way any cartridges that you have left over can be used to hunt with.

Have you decided what distance you want to zero the rifle for? I thought about the type of game and the probable shot distances prior to zeroing my 416 Rigby and will be doing the same for my 404 Jeffery. If you in fact intend for this to be your one and only rifle and might have to take 250 to 300 yd. shots with it a different sight in protocol would be required.

I will zero at 50 yards. I have a bore sighted. Using 300 gr. because they were 27 dollars a box. It will still be hard for me not to use my 375 ruger with 300 gr. A-Frames on buff. But I my use this if I can get good reloading second shot. I have some 300 DGX and DGS also. I have a 300 short mag for everything else

I think that the majority of folks here would agree that the 450 -400 would be the better caliber for buff as compared to the 375. That being the case, why would you want to sight your rifle in using 300 gr. bullets? I get the fact that it would be cheaper, but what do you have? I doubt the POI will be the same for both the 300 gr and 400 gr. bullets. You are still going to have to zero the rifle with its' intended hunting load. Hey, it is your rifle, do what you want. I'm just curious, that's all.

Tarbe, what bullet are you going to use to zero your new 450 - 400?

Reactions: IvW
The 300 gr. bullets cost 27.50. I will shoot the rifle more. The final zero will be A-Frames. Why blow holes in paper with expensive bullets. The more I shoot the rifle the better. At 50 yards I doubt they will be off that much.

Also the 300 gr. bullets are enough for watermelons and water jugs.:Finger:

Also the 300 gr. bullets are enough for watermelons and water jugs.:Finger:
That emoji is not what I think you thought it was:)

If you reload, also take a look at Trail Boss powder for trigger time. I am telling you, that stuff is great. It turns anything into a pussy cat . You could shoot all day long with it. Great for just using the gun. Enjoy!

It suppose to be a little guy holding his thumb up. Why mine shows the word finger.

It suppose to be a little guy holding his thumb up. Why mine shows the word finger.

(y) (thumbs up)

:Finger:(not thumbs up)

:Couchpotato: (no clue what this is)

;)

I don't what happened to it. This phone was changing Ruger to Kruger.

On computer now that little dude is giving the finger. Hell that's a thread killer. Sorry about that.

A very interesting discussion. As a school boy many years ago I often dreamt of going to Africa. And finally in 2013 I managed to get to Namibia for a plains game hunt. After the hunt we went to Windhoek to do a bit of shopping and I thought it would be a good idea to go to the firearms shops to see what was popular for dangerous game rifles and what they carried for ammunition, in the event that I may some day return for a Cape Buffalo hunt, and considering the possible loss of ammunition during my transit. What I discovered, that in 2013, the common DG rounds to be found were 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffrey, 458 Win Mag, 458 Lott, 500 Jeffrey, 505 Gibbs and the traditional double ammo 470 NE. But what was interesting was there were no 416 Rem, 416 Ruger (not sure if it was in production yet) or 375 Ruger on the shelves. Based on that I thought that if I was to return for DG hunt, I would choose one of the calibers that was most likely to be available in the area of the hunt. When I returned home I found a 416 Rigby in CZ 550 at one of our dealers and promptly purchased it, mounted a trijicon 1-4 DG scope and scoured the gunshops for any and all 416 Rigby brass and bullets for reloading. For 2018 I have made plans to go back, this time for an old Duggaboy, taking my son along for his first plains game hunt. Just an interesting observation regarding ammunition availability in Namibia, it's not quite like North Amertica. Something to maybe consider.

The problem with Africa is "No one has developed a vaccine that eliminates the desire to return."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PedroEiche

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you