Which 40 cal Dangerous Game Caliber

I have never shot an animal with a factory load. Always a reload

I have never shot an animal with a factory load. Always a reload
Myself as well... I have done it for so long that I feel like using factory loads would cheapen hunting a little for me.

I agree. Most factory ammo is loaded way below advertise velocity. He'll a handloaded 45-70. Is about the same as a factory 458

Truth is: there isn't a spit's difference among all the major 40ish caliber iterations- 416 Rigby, 404 Jeff., 416 Ruger, 416 Rem, 400 HH and all other similar "nitro" rated rounds that fire a 400 grain bullet at between 2100 and 2400. If it takes over about 50k psi to do it then one can make an argument about potential pressure associated problems and no the 416 Rem is not one of them. But, the 416 Taylor does comes to mind where those higher pressures may be reached if trying to stay up with its larger capacity 40ish caliber cousins. Modern powders, modern cases, modern actions, modern bullets all add up to.... same real world results for all the common and oft quoted candidates. And no a 400 gr bullet at 2400 fps out of a 416 Rigby does not hit harder than a 400 gr bullet at 2400 fps out of a 416 Rem... even though I've read quotes by some who should know better actually saying that! In the end, debates about the various 40ish cals, where one is sure enough better than another, usually just ends up being about anecdotal "straw men". Kind of like debating the differences between the 7x57 and the 7-08. :)

I can only comment on what I have shot. The 405 win and 416 Express (350REM Mag necked up) 405 300gr qt 2250, 416 Express 300gr 2450. 450/400 double 400gr Aframe 2150 (One of my favourite rifles) . 416 Rigby 400gr 2400, 404 Jeff 400gr 2400. Each has it's place and like many here have mentioned the 416 REM or Ruger and the 416 Taylor. All will get the job done. Since you already have a 375 Ruger the 416 Ruger would be a good fit with your current rifles. For nostalgia 450/400, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeff all have a ton of Africa written all over them.

I have a 375 Ruger Alaskan. When I buff hunting I used the PH 416 Ruger Alaskan. Myself I could tell no difference in recoil between the two rifles. Now I been bitten by the 40 caliber bug. I know a lot here like the 404 Jeffery but it seem rather bothersome to build when you can get the same thing from a 416 ruger or rem. mag. and you can also get the 416 rigby from Montana rifle and CZ although the cases are quit pricey for the reloader that I am. They all shoot the 400 gr bullet at around 2300-2400 fps. and I see no big advantage one has over the other. The Ruger and Rem. Mag. seem to be the cheapest way to go and also the cheapest to reload and I do like the Ruger African and the Model 70. I also may be better off sticking with what I already have.
I have both .375 and .416 Ruger. I shot my ele and buff with the .416 Ruger. I have ammo made by Safari Arms in NY and have done really well with it. As you know Ruger is dependable, well made, and priced right. It's fun to talk guns and calibers but I just always come back to A Ruger!
Regards,
Philip

Speaking of 45/400 @tarbe did you get yours home yet!?

Not yet!

@farrokhrt is still relocating and will let me know when he is ready to receive $$$.

I have plenty of time...so no rush. I knew he was going to be in-between states for a while.

Tim

Here is my 2 cents worth of thought. If you want a single shot or dbl. rifle get a 450/.400

This is what I am doing.

BVC 2019 Cape Buffalo - or BUST!

Ruger Boddington Buffalo 450-400.

Last edited:
Yea I'm leaning towards the tiger African. I am thinking the African model May have more felt recoil than the Alaskan I used with the houge stock.

Yea I'm leaning towards the tiger African. I am thinking the African model May have more felt recoil than the Alaskan I used with the houge stock.
It's not that bad. The African is a little heavier so it soaks up a bit more there, but the recoil "pad" is about as soft as a cricket bat. So it punches you a bit harder.

Yea I'm leaning towards the tiger African. I am thinking the African model May have more felt recoil than the Alaskan I used with the hogue stock.

I put a full length aluminum bedded Hogue stock on my wood stocked Remington 700 8mm Rem Mag several years ago and it was the best and only thing I ever did to that rifle. It really tamed the recoil.

It does seem like the Hogue stock does tame the recoil a lot. My 375 Alaskan you have to hang on to it but I shoot it in my shirt sleeves a lot it has less felt recoil a 338 win mag I once owned.

Being bitten by the 40 cal. bug myself I purchased a 416 Rigby in a Ruger No. 1 last year and a CZ550 in 404 Jeffery this year. For a reloader the initial cost of brass and dies is soon forgotten. One 8 lb. container of powder at $160 or so will last most of us a decade (unless you are a masochist.) The primers and bullets are about the same cost regardless of caliber. My point being that the cost of owning and shooting one of the calibers mentioned over the other is all but negligible. I've already made my choice(s), make yours and enjoy. One of the earlier posts has already mentioned that you will know that you "pulled" the trigger on a 40 cal. regardless of which one it is. Once the gun is zeroed, how many times a year are you going to shoot it? Yea, if you are getting ready to go on a buff hunt or other DG you might want to practice a little more but even then I'd almost be willing to bet that less than 60 rounds will be expended in practice and on the hunt. More than likely, you will be paying more to upgrade your seat on Flight 200 than you will for ammo.

All seem to have forgotten the 425 WR. Nothing wrong with that rebated rim. It were the poor converted rifles which were responsible for the ill deserved early reputation. It is a classic cartridge, 2350 fps with 410 gr. Nothing beats it for pure nostalgia. I have a 1919 Westley with a 28 inch barrel, shoots accurate even after almost a century of use.

Now been looking on the web and there seem to be a few Ruger RSM's out there for a little under $2000 in 416 Rigby. Kind of surprised me as the 375's are priced quite a bit higher. 404 Jeffery can't find any except custom CZ. Now that has me thinking again. Good thing I have plenty of time to think about this.

Now been looking on the web and there seem to be a few Ruger RSM's out there for a little under $2000 in 416 Rigby. Kind of surprised me as the 375's are priced quite a bit higher. 404 Jeffery can't find any except custom CZ. Now that has me thinking again. Good thing I have plenty of time to think about this.

Be sure to check AHR's website periodically. They have some nice hardware fire sale.

For sale....not fire sale!!

I am a 416 Rigby owner and my next choice would be a 404J. However the only real draw back that I can see to the 416 Ruger is if you want to use 400 grain monometals. You will probably run out of powder space to get them up to the 2200fps. Don't know for sure but looks that way.

I am a 416 Rigby owner and my next choice would be a 404J. However the only real draw back that I can see to the 416 Ruger is if you want to use 400 grain monometals. You will probably run out of powder space to get them up to the 2200fps. Don't know for sure but looks that way.
Never thought about the barnes being to long but I think I may like the A-frame better.

And no a 400 gr bullet at 2400 fps out of a 416 Rigby does not hit harder than a 400 gr bullet at 2400 fps out of a 416 Rem... even though I've read quotes by some who should know better actually saying that!

@fourfive8 - I hope you didn't actually read that someone thinks the bullet possesses more kinetic energy solely because of the case that launches it.

A Rigby can generate more recoil for a given level of kinetic energy from the load, due to the greater powder mass. So it is the butt that hits harder, not the bullet (unless the rifle possesses enough extra mass to counter).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaylaHoola

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!