Which 40 cal Dangerous Game Caliber

That is a great choice. I have a No.1 in 416 Rigby and love it. I bought mine from "tarbe" who thoughtfully had a mercury recoil reducer installed. At 11.5 lbs. the recoil is manageable. Mind you, not something I want to shoot all day, but more than tolerable for a few shots.

That is a great choice. I have a No.1 in 416 Rigby and love it. I bought mine from "tarbe" who thoughtfully had a mercury recoil reducer installed. At 11.5 lbs. the recoil is manageable. Mind you, not something I want to shoot all day, but more than tolerable for a few shots.

At the same time I put in the mercury reducer, I also installed the Limbsaver pad.

Not sure which one made more impact...but both worthwhile additions to a Rigby!

I have a new red Decelerator sitting here waiting for the 450-400 to arrive. IMO, the factory Ruger pads are deficient for calibers above .375 recoil level. And the 450-400 is a little on the wispy side!

Hey thanks a lot. Just ordered 60 cases

Scheduled for delivery Monday. I was wondering can you load the 411 caliber bullets in the 450/400 or do they have to be 410?

Scheduled for delivery Monday. I was wondering can you load the 411 caliber bullets in the 450/400 or do they have to be 410?

It's nuts that there is a .410 and .411 in this day. Surely to Pete they could just standardize the 450/400 to .411, and that would mean bullet manufacturers could meet the call for the 405 Winchester and 450/400 (not to mention the incredibly popular 400 H&H) with one size. With lines of bullets being discontinued, there has to be an economy of scale there. Not sure why Hornady went to the .410. Just another reason I should be elected leader of the free world.

.411 works too.

Tim

My Lee Hand primer doesn't make a shell holder big enough for the 450/400 and the one on my old pacific press doesn't work. What priming tool would work. I think hornady uses the same shell holder in their priming tool as they do in their reloading press. Any suggestions a new press might be nice as mine is 40 years old.:Finger:

For my .404 Jeff I have to use the primer arm on my press, I also couldn't get the lee hand primer to fit.

Any suggestions a new press might be nice as mine is 40 years old.:Finger:

What that the intended emoji? :D

I find the Lee press and priming system very simple, and it works

Got mine working on the old press. Needed a good cleaning

My Lee Hand primer doesn't make a shell holder big enough for the 450/400 and the one on my old pacific press doesn't work. What priming tool would work. I think hornady uses the same shell holder in their priming tool as they do in their reloading press. Any suggestions a new press might be nice as mine is 40 years old.:Finger:

I'm using this nowadays...I am really liking it.

Much easier on the old joints!

precprim02.jpg

Yup.

But I still like the Rigby and Jeffery! :)

Makes me think of the legends of old when I hear those names.

They do cost more to feed though, that's for sure.

Let's face it,even if Rigby cartridges are a lot more, you probably don't go plinking tin cans with it.
The cost is small overall when you compare it to the cost of a hunt etc.
Enjoy your beaut toys

Does anyone know what holder I would need for the lee hand primer to prime 416 rigby?? Also is the hornady brass and dies for that matter any good?? I only ask as there is another thread about the dies no belling out the case enough.

Midway has a Lee shell holder for the Lee priming tool in 416 Rigby. It is the number 8 and is less than $4.

Midway has a Lee shell holder for the Lee priming tool in 416 Rigby. It is the number 8 and is less than $4.
Super thanks very much. Ive got 50 norma cases on order. Anyone know about the hornady dies?

The older style Lee Hand primer can be a bit small for the larger cases. While you can get a shellholder for them, the actual hand primer might need some ground off it above where the shell holder sits. Mine did when doing WSM, RUM cases, so I imagine the Rigby case will need even more.

Super thanks very much. Ive got 50 norma cases on order. Anyone know about the hornady dies?
All I know about hornady dies is that there cheaper. I got the 450/400 today.
0918171705.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.