When to book a hunt

harpuaphish

Reaction score
So, my wife and I just booked flights to Johannesburg for the end of May. We are hoping to hunt the Eastern Cape. I have been communicating with outfitters and I think I have it narrowed down to a few I want to hunt with. Should I wait until DSC to book in case there are outfitters there we like instead? My worry is that the longer I wait, the less availability there might be for a hunt six months from now.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Hi harpuaphish, thats a difficult one, it is better to meet your PH and Outfitter in person to see if you going to get on, but saying that most hunters get along just fine.... good luck and enjoy

BTW, I learned that Delta is flying into Capetown.

Just me, but it's rare that I get what I want if I'm cutting it that close.
I'm usually booked 1 to 2 years out in anything I do.
If you're comfortable with who you're talking to now I'd book now.
Use what you learn at DSC for the next trip.

My two cents, I would wait till DSC. There will be some show specials and offers at the show. I have booked at DCS for years. Try and visit with PHs that are on AH. There is a little more accountability if they are on AH. Plus, I like meeting them in-person. It will make it much easier to send them money when you have met them.

Your wife will also get to talk with the outfitter. It is important to know that they will meet her expectations also. I always value my wife's input. She booked my first hunt to New Zealand because she and the PHs wife developed a friendship that was started at DSC. She always gets excited about going after being at DSC and she is not a hunter.

You should not have trouble booking a first hunt to South Africa for plains game. It is usually only difficult to book a hunt when you are looking for animals where there are limited permits.

Are you looking for something with limited permits? If not wait.

My two cents, I would wait till DSC. There will be some show specials and offers at the show. I have booked at DCS for years. Try and visit with PHs that are on AH. There is a little more accountability if they are on AH. Plus, I like meeting them in-person. It will make it much easier to send them money when you have met them.

Your wife will also get to talk with the outfitter. It is important to know that they will meet her expectations also. I always value my wife's input. She booked my first hunt to New Zealand because she and the PHs wife developed a friendship that was started at DSC. She always gets excited about going after being at DSC and she is not a hunter.

You should not have trouble booking a first hunt to South Africa for plains game. It is usually only difficult to book a hunt when you are looking for animals where there are limited permits.

Are you looking for something with limited permits? If not wait.
This will be my first safari and I am looking for the normal critters in a plains game hunt. Nothing exotic or difficult to find.

I appreciate yours and everyone's input. This discussion is helpful for me.

Go to DSC and meet everyone in person since it is your first safari. It’s only 3 weeks away. You will be spending a lot of time with your PH so make sure they are someone that you like.

You should book now but still go to DSC. If you already booked your tickets I’m going to assume this is primarily a tourist trip with some hunting on the side. May are peak dates many of the outfitters that go to DSC are already going to be full on those dates. Every day you wait there will be less open dates available. DSC is also primarily medium to bigger outfitters, likely not interested in a short add on to your trip. Smaller outfitters will give more flexibility, but many don’t attend DSC due to the costs of the trip. Book your hunt now if you have outfitters that have space and you’ve done your research on, but use DSC to learn for your next trip.

You should book now but still go to DSC. If you already booked your tickets I’m going to assume this is primarily a tourist trip with some hunting on the side. May are peak dates many of the outfitters that go to DSC are already going to be full on those dates. Every day you wait there will be less open dates available. DSC is also primarily medium to bigger outfitters, likely not interested in a short add on to your trip. Smaller outfitters will give more flexibility, but many don’t attend DSC due to the costs of the trip. Book your hunt now if you have outfitters that have space and you’ve done your research on, but use DSC to learn for your next trip.
I should have mentioned and appreciate you noting it, that the trip will be 2.5 weeks. Mostly touring and hopefully seven days hunting (including travel to and from the outfitter?). We booked the flights before having a hunt lined up, as we had flights somewhere else that got messed up and decided to flip the script and head to Africa. We are super excited (I've been reading this forum for the last several years) and cannot wait. If we have to make sacrifices because of booking last minute - well, that'll just be good lessons for the second safari. We'll roll with the punches and have fun no matter.

I should have mentioned and appreciate you noting it, that the trip will be 2.5 weeks. Mostly touring and hopefully seven days hunting (including travel to and from the outfitter?). We booked the flights before having a hunt lined up, as we had flights somewhere else that got messed up and decided to flip the script and head to Africa. We are super excited (I've been reading this forum for the last several years) and cannot wait. If we have to make sacrifices because of booking last minute - well, that'll just be good lessons for the second safari. We'll roll with the punches and have fun no matter.
You can definitely find what you are looking for but you’ll need to be flexible now. You have a lot to be excited for.

Normally I'd tell you BOOK NOW! I know Bos en Dal's schedule is already filling up.. by the end of show season I would guess there will be little to no options left between May and the end of August.. I would imagine the same is true for many other outfitters as well..

That said.. we are literally just 4 weeks to the day of DSC kicking off.. I cant imagine many people are going to book dates between now and then.. those that try to get things settled in advance already have done so.. and those that want to wait until DSC/SCI/HSC/Others are going to do just that at this point.. you've also got Christmas in the way now eating up time and resources for most people..

So.. were it me.. what I'd do is be at DSC as soon as the doors open.. spend Thursday walking the floor, talking to people, seeing what show specials are being offered, etc..

<shameless plus now follows :) > I'd then hit the @mdwest party on Thursday night where there will be 50-60 AH members you could talk to that might have opinions/experience with outfitters that have made your short list..

<end of shameless plug :) >

I'd follow that up with another day at DSC on Friday.. followed by attending the AH dinner Friday night where there will likely be 150+ AH members you could bounce thoughts and ideas off of that may have opinions/experience with the outfitters on your short list..

and then by the time the doors open at DSC on Saturday morning, I'd be booking my hunt (Saturday and Sunday is when the vast majority of the hunts that are going to get booked at DSC are going to get locked in)..

YMMV.. but that would be my strategy :)

Normally I'd tell you BOOK NOW! I know Bos en Dal's schedule is already filling up.. by the end of show season I would guess there will be little to no options left between May and the end of August.. I would imagine the same is true for many other outfitters as well..

That said.. we are literally just 4 weeks to the day of DSC kicking off.. I cant imagine many people are going to book dates between now and then.. those that try to get things settled in advance already have done so.. and those that want to wait until DSC/SCI/HSC/Others are going to do just that at this point.. you've also got Christmas in the way now eating up time and resources for most people..

So.. were it me.. what I'd do is be at DSC as soon as the doors open.. spend Thursday walking the floor, talking to people, seeing what show specials are being offered, etc..

<shameless plus now follows :) > I'd then hit the @mdwest party on Thursday night where there will be 50-60 AH members you could talk to that might have opinions/experience with outfitters that have made your short list..

<end of shameless plug :) >

I'd follow that up with another day at DSC on Friday.. followed by attending the AH dinner Friday night where there will likely be 150+ AH members you could bounce thoughts and ideas off of that may have opinions/experience with the outfitters on your short list..

and then by the time the doors open at DSC on Saturday morning, I'd be booking my hunt (Saturday and Sunday is when the vast majority of the hunts that are going to get booked at DSC are going to get locked in)..

YMMV.. but that would be my strategy :)
This is very helpful. I'll be the new guy at the AH events that hasn't hunted outside the US. But, I'll be real happy to sit and learn.

Well it depends. Is the place you are going to hunt at in high demand, for example: CMS - book now. Otherwise, I would just wait till DSC. I've booked a year out - RSA and a few months out - Zambia. That said, I will be starting for 2025 or 26 to Tanzania at DSC this year.

Last edited:
A lot of excellent outfitters and sponsors on here dont do any shows
So if u happy just book and be done

If I were you, I would just ask for recommendations on this forum for the area you want to hunt and book now.

I've only hunted Limpopo.

If I already had flights booked, I'd be wanting the hunt booked asap. In fact, that's the opposite of how I usually go about it.

May is also the busy rut period for many species, I'd think most reputable outfitters would be booked out already. Personally, I'd vet the outfit on AH and get it squared away. But then, I don't have the luxury of being able to get to the shows.

I’ve never booked flights before having a hunt secured so I’d normally say ASAP HOWEVER being 4 weeks out from DSC and most PH’s enjoying their holiday with the family and then traveling to the states, I don’t think you’ll miss many options that’ll get booked between now and then.

If you’re looking to hunt the Eastern Cape, I’d definitely suggest contacting @KAROO WILD Safaris

As several have already said, since you booked your flights already, get your hunt booked ASAP. Late May and early June are a great time to hunt the EC!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HortenseMo

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!